Doctor Who News wpid-wp-1397370510364.jpeg

Published on April 13th, 2014 | by Nick Kitchen

Barrowman Has “No Idea” On Captain Jack’s Future

Since the day that the finale of Torchwood: Miracle Day aired, fans across the globe have had one main question: when will Capt. Jack Harkness be back on our TV screens? In a recent interview, John Barrowman gives us a little insight and hope. When asked if we’ve seen the last of Jack, he said:

“I have no idea. I mean, that’s not my decision, that’s a decision for the BBC. The thing is, I go around with Eve and people to these conventions and we see the humongous following that we have and also the hunger that there is for Torchwood. If I’m asked to play Captain Jack Harkness again, I would do it at the drop of a hat. And also, the Arrow producers have said that if I’m asked to do something like that, they would let me. They would see that I was able to do it. I think there’s a lot more to tell, there’s a lot more out there. There are those missing years that Jack talked about, there’s how he becomes “The Face of Boe”, there’s all sorts of things. But it’s not up to me, it’s up to Russell, Julie Gardner, and the BBC.”

Barrowman also had this to say about the new Doctor, Peter Capaldi:

“I’ve worked with him, I think he’s a great actor. He was in Torchwood: Children of Earth, he’s also done some Doctor Who stuff, and he’s just a brilliant actor. I think he’ll be very very good. It’s very interesting the way they’ve gone, first with Chris, then David, and then Matt being very young, and now they’ve gone to someone who is Tom Baker’s age when he started, as Peter is now. So it’s a very interesting step and I think it will be a good one.”

With recent talk between Moffat and RTD about having seen Capaldi’s face more than once in the Whoniverse, it might be an interesting story to show what happens when Jack Harkness meets the Doctor, who looks very much like Torchwood‘s John Frobisher. What do you think, dear readers? Would you like to see Jack back in the TARDIS or on another run of Torchwood? Or do you think we’ve seen the end of Jack? Sound off below!

(Note: if you’ve been missing yourself some John Barrowman, I highly recommend checking him out as the treacherous Malcolm Merlyn on Arrow. As much as I love the Jack character, Barrowman’s turn as a heel has been exquisite.)

(Via Nerd Bastards)
image

Tags: , ,

“That’s bacon! Are you trying to poison me?” And from that line on, I’ve been unable to stop watching, reading, musing about the Doctor. As a recent transplant to the Whoniverse, I’ve been trying to soak up as much Who-related knowledge as possible. That journey has taken me from the Tenth Planet to the Fields of Trenzalore and gently set me at the edge of my seat for what’s next. It’s an honor to be here and I plan to bring a unique perspective. I hope you’ll enjoy the journey alongside me.

21 Responses to Barrowman Has “No Idea” On Captain Jack’s Future

1. avatar TonyS says:

Tom Baker’s age when he started? Tom was 40!

• avatar TonyS says:

Not that Mr Barrowman’s ignorance of Tom Baker’s age when he started precludes a return by Captain Jack. But please- no! Torchwood has had its time. Let it rest.

• avatar Sara says:

I particularly miss Cardiff, Rift, IANTO, Owen and Tosh in the show. For me the good season (that I see a thousand times) are 1 & 2. If GDL isn´t in the show, I don´t see TW (And I LOVE Jack Harkness / John Barrowman).

• avatar Rusty says:

Torchwood didn’t die – it was MURDERED by RTD

2. avatar Kev C says:

Captain Jack was and will always be one of the greatest,most original characters ever in Dr Who and the Torchwood series were brilliant. there is so much scope for his return in both Dr Who and Torchwood. John Barrowman has wit,charisma and superb talent. His return would be most welcome. and his books with his sister are excellent too.

3. avatar dr jon says:

I would love to see jack back in Dr who if the script was good. And I’d like to see him meet capaldi’s doctor to see how they would react to each other.

4. avatar dr jon says:

I’d also like to say happy birthday peter Davison who is 63 today .

5. avatar rickjlundeen says:

I thought Barrowman was a classic Who fan—Tom was 40 when he started, Capaldi’s 55. Maybe he meant Hartnell. Also, he mentions the powers that be as being RTD and Julie Gardner, so at least one of those interviews was over 5 years old.

Although I wouldn’t mind seeing nasty Jack from the missing years, I think his story’s probably over.

• I was going to post about the same thing…but I suppose Capaldi can take that as a compliment, he definitely looks a lot better at 55 than Hartnell did. :) But anyway, I see no reason why they can’t have Jack back for an episode or two. It’s a time travel show, and we know he lives a very long time. ;) There are a lot of points in his time that haven’t been explored in the Doctor’s time line.

• avatar Kieran says:

When he mentions that the power is in RTD’s and Julie’s hands he is referring to the fact that they created the character so they own the character and people have to ask to use it. It is also the same reason we can’t use the Rani, the person who created her doesn’t want her being used. When it comes to Jack we’ll just have to wait and see.

• avatar Rusty says:

Actually MOFFAT created Capt. Jack AND River Song. RTD was just the exec-producer on those so it IS Moffat’s decision if those characters appear again. Would LOVE seeing those two in the same episode!

• No, actually, RTD created and outlined Jack Harkness. He was an integral part of the final half of Series 1, and Moffat was given the job of introducing him.

This is why there are no credits for Steven Moffat in Torchwood :)

• avatar Andrew says:

RTD & Julie did Torchwood … that is what he is referring to.

6. http://www.facebook.com/PeterCapaldi SHARED!

7. avatar Isabella says:

We defiantly can’t have seen the last of Jack and the team. there is way to much more that can be done with jack, Gwen and Rhys. Also there is also the side of Rex that now needs telling as he is now immortal and how did it happen, given that Jack was because of Rose. Way loads more Jack and the team is needed

8. avatar Julia R says:

I say Bring back Torchwood!

9. While I love Jack, Gwen and Rex, and often want more answers, more answers would destroy the purpose of the story, Davies wrote much of the story to remind us that even in timetravel we don’t get all the answers. I think continuing it in Doctor who would be somewhat disrespectful to the effort he put into the story. Just my opinion.

10. avatar Rusty says:

As much as I ADORE Torchwood, I would only watch if they take it back to the way it was during Seasons 1 & 2 – NOT those “Children of Earth” and “Miracle Day” abominations!

11. avatar Lord Darth Tyeler says:

I think Jack’s future lies in the past. He’s a relic of the RTD era that seemed to veer into its own parallel universe in Miracle Day. I have nothing against Jack/Barrowman, but I think he’s had his days on Who.

12. I would love to see Captain Jack in both! It would definitely be better than most things on TV now.

13. to the powers that be, PLEASE bring Torchwood and Captain Jack on at least a few
    Dr. Who’s. Miss that fun character so much.