Doctor Who News The Night of the Doctor

Published on March 14th, 2014 | by Christian Cawley

McGann On Doctor Who Return: “Why wouldn’t I want to?”

Ah, the surprise of Night of the Doctor, the moment when we realised that the Doctor Who 50th anniversary really was going to be awesome.

Star Paul McGann felt it too, and he’s told Yahoo that he would welcome a return!

If the same thing were to happen again and Moffat were to say ‘Would you come back and do it and I’ll write it?’ Why wouldn’t I want to do it? If it’s going to be that quality, why wouldn’t you want to do it?

Oh yes! Just what we wanted to hear. Of course, McGann is under no illusions about whether it might happen or not.

There’s always all kinds of rumours. Doctor Who is like a rumour mill, isn’t it? ‘Yea, McGann is gonna do this, Matt is gonna do that, there’s going to be a spin-off, blah blah blah’. Of course it’s all b****cks because it’s Moffat who decides what they’re going to do next. And of course, now you’ve got a new Doctor in Peter Capaldi – I think it’s only fair that he gets a decent run on his own without any distractions so he gets his feet under the table.

However, Peter Capaldi AND Paul McGann appearing in the same episode might just be the most excellent thing to happen in Doctor Who ever. Unless, of course, McGann got his own Doctor Who: Time War spinoff series for BBC Three Online, or something…

Tags: , , , , ,

15 Responses to McGann On Doctor Who Return: “Why wouldn’t I want to?”

1. rickjlundeen says:

Here’s what I say: the next time you hit the “Programming Expanse”,—– you know, like in 2009 when it was just a couple specials or when they tried to spread out 16 episodes over the entirety of 2012 and 2013— THAT’S when you have a an extra special “special” with a McGann adventure. Or a War Doctor adventure with John Hurt. Fill in those interminable gaps with those types of surprises. Best of all, they’d be stand alones that could even be filmed NOW. Just don’t tell anyone.

• mrjohnm says:

I’ve said before that a series of “Christmas Specials” with McGann instead of the usual Christmas specials would be great. This would give the fans an insight into the Time War while giving the regular production crew and actors a break. They could even give us televised versions of the BBC 8th Doctor novels as a series of Christmas movies!

2. vortexter says:

Or even just a web series with a smaller budget and smaller cast. All he needs is a console room and a Tardis prop. If it was half the quality of his last appearance it would still be outstanding.

• mrjohnm says:

I’m not too sure how I feel about a web series. I understand that some web series have done very well (Sanctuary actually started as a web series until it became a TV series that lasted 5 years). But if the BBC were interested in a web series, they would have surely continued with the animated series they had started before the show returned in ’05?

3. rickjlundeen says:

Since they reconstructed the original Tardis console room for An Adventure in Time and Space, I wouldn’t mind seeing McGann play around in there, either.

4. Geoff says:

All good ideas you’ve come up with. Personally I’d love to see him back for more than 5 minutes in any format although the televised series would be the ultimate. However I’m still to this day excited, amazed and grateful that we got him back at all for those wonderful few minutes to date.

5. John Miller says:

It might be a good idea to do something like a McGann Radio Series, or perhaps boxed sets of adventures featuring the short-haired McGann, the Daleks, and the resurrected Master.

• Gillian Who says:

what… Dark Eyes?

• iLikeTheUDK says:

There already is one, and it’s been going on for a long time now. See the previous reply for details.

• I don’t know, but I think John was being ironic :)

6. So the McGann fans were screaming for months…years even…for Moffat to bring back McGann. Moffat had ages to plan the 50th and he waits until the very last minute to call up McGann and doesn’t give him anytime to think about it? Wow! I find this quite insulting. Moffat certainly gave CE plenty of early warning and time to think about it. I wonder when Tom Baker got the call? Thankfully McGann was available….he was very busy during that time.

• TonyS says:

You seem to be suggesting that Mr Moff called back Paul McGann as a last minute thing. Got anything to back that up have you?

• The quotes in the linked article back it up…

• TonyS says:

They do suggest that, yes. On the other hand, the lateness may have had more to do with the availability of both Paul and Mr Moff. They have both been rather busy. I will never know what went on. I will just enjoy those seven minutes we had with the 8th Doctor :)

7. GhostWolf says:

I’d love to see McGann as the Doctor in any shape or form in the current series . He was basically screwed because his version was done in the States and they took too many liberties with the overall concept to make it a success (McGann was the bright spot throughout though). McGann’s short minisope was more enjoyable than most of the other stuff released for the 50th anniversary. Luckily he’s had his adventures on Big Finish that are quite enjoyable. Now just to get him onscreen for those adventures.