Doctor Who News Mark Gatiss

Published on March 26th, 2014 | by Danny_Weasel

Mark Gatiss Pens Two Episodes For Doctor Who Series 8

It’s the news that will shock no-one, yet will cause debate for months to come. Mark Gatiss, the man who gave us the triumphant return of the Ice Warriors and the not so triumphant (though in my eyes at least, still very enjoyable) arrival of the new paradigm Daleks, is returning to write two episodes for Series 8.

The former League of Gentlemen star made the announcement while on a promotional tour of Brazil for BBC Worldwide.

On the whole I find this to be rather good news as I’m a big fan of Gatiss’ work both on and off Doctor Who (if you haven’t read his Lucifer Box novels I highly recommend them) and after his work on Series 7 (Crimson Horror was the highlight of the second half in my opinion) he seems to have hit his stride and with the opportunity to write for a new, older Doctor, who has been hinted at being darker, could we perhaps see a glimpse of Mr Gatiss’ love for all things macabre creep into the writing?

What are your thoughts, are you pleased to see him back or would you rather have seen the back of him? Do you think his writing style will be better suited to a darker Doctor? As always use the space below to give us your thoughts, views, opinions or simple mad rants.

(Via Radio Times)

Tags: , , , , , ,

19 Responses to Mark Gatiss Pens Two Episodes For Doctor Who Series 8

1. Victor says:

Love Gatiss and I’m glad he’s back; not that it’s a surprise, if anyone was a lock it was him. BUT… two episodes again. The names announced this year are a little same-old-same-old, one of those two eps couldn’t have been tossed to someone new to the series? A little fresh blood? A female writer even? So yay, more Gatiss, but boo, a bit too much Gatiss, I want the new and unpredictable names alongside the tried and tested. (Unless it’s a two part story he’s writing, but it doesn’t look like those are coming back)

2. prisonertom says:

Gatiss writes the type of Who closest to my heart. Can’t wait.

3. I think Victory Of The Daleks gets a raw deal due to people not liking the redesign of the Daleks, which is hardly Gatiss’ fault as he was working on that episode as a writer, not a designer! It’s actually an episode that I’m very fond of.

• kevin merchant says:

I agree. The story was fine , the new daleks were not. It’s like classic mini versus modern mini-the designer lost the fundamental quality.

4. Al says:

Fine by me. Crimson Horror was fantastic, and he’s done quite a lot of other good work for the show and has a long history with it. Plus, I consider him Moffat’s heir presumptive, so he pretty much needs to get in there to make his mark on Twelve before he eventually takes over.

5. vortexter says:

Hmmmmm….Ok. I bet there’s another Ice Warrior script in there somewhere. I loved Crimson Horror but the rest was 7/10.

6. rickjlundeen says:

I feel that before series 7, Gatiss was on a long losing streak but Cold War and Crimson Horror were two of his better outings. As witnessed with Unquiet Dead and Crimson, he excels at the Victorian era stuff. I do kind of feel as if he may be taking over from Moffat eventually as well. they’re friends, Gatiss is an extreme Who fan and really, of the possible choices, it seems he’s the best of the bunch. I’m not really excited about him taking over but you never know what you’re going to get with a showrunner.

I feel Moffat was the best writer of New Who but not *as* successful a showrunner. so even though I’ve been less than impressed with the majority of Gatiss’ scripts so far, he may be an excellent showrunner if he is heir to the throne. One can never tell.

• Drew Boynton says:

I agree with pretty much everything Rick just said!

• iLikeTheUDK says:

Gatiss might be able to just join Moffat, and they’ll “co-showrun” together like they do in Sherlock. A similar formula was also used in classic Who, and indeed many of the new series’ faults in the writing were less common there, mainly because of this. I think that it’s better than Gatiss completely taking over from Moffat as head writer.

7. TimeChaser says:

Gatiss’ output for the series has been varied in quality, but as long as he can come up with stories that are more toward his higher quality efforts like ‘Night Terrors’ and ‘Cold War’ then I’ll be happy.

8. Howard Railton says:

Cold War stunk. He’s ruined the Ice Warriors with a silly frog head and the wrong clamps.

• I had no idea Mark Gatiss was also a designer.

You learn something new every day…

• iLikeTheUDK says:

Not too much of his fault, though…that’ll mainly be that of the concept artists and CGI artists.
      And most of the New Paradigm Daleks’ faults have been proven to be errors in the props’ construction; if you look at the original concept designs by Peter McKinstry you’ll see that the proportions are different there, and in general better-looking than those of what we eventually saw on-screen.

• DonnaM says:

I quite enjoyed it myself. Diff’rent strokes for diff’rent folks and all that jazz!

The only Gatiss episode I’ve actively disliked was The Idiot’s Lantern. Even Moffat and RTD,who have written some of the finest episodes of the modern era in my opinion, have produced the odd one I can’t stand.

I suppose a two-parter’s to much to hope for? :-) On the off-chance that he is being lined up as the next showrunner, I’d feel more confident havign seen a longer story from him.

9. Liana says:

I use to like Gatiss’ episodes, The Crimson Horror is one of my all time favorites.

10. David F says:

I wonder whether this might be the year Moffat lets someone else have a go at writing the Christmas special. Although I agree with previous comments about Gatiss’s underwhelming episodes, Moffat might think he’s suited to Christmas, being a lover of horror, Victoriana and conventional storytelling.

I think he’s said that the two episodes in question aren’t necessarily part of this series, which might support the idea.

11. Adam Morgan says:

No writer bats perfectly… but Gatiss gets pretty close. His style is really great. I love the darker episodes of Who. Always have. The ones that can bring me back to those days of wanting to hide behind the sofa, with my eyes peeking out just enough to still see what’s going on.

12. Ranger says:

Good, I like Gatiss, even his less successful attempts still have something to cheer about – The Crimson Horror to my mind was the best story of the Smith era and would rank highly in the RTD era as well.

13. Joyce says:

Umm. Gatiss isn’t a bad writer. His celebration of the show’s beginnings was OK if a tad mawkish but so far his contributions to the show have been too close to “fan fiction” for my liking and generally quite weak. The Ice Warrior story had a terrible ending (and I don’t mean the CGI turtle) and although Crimson Horror was better it still feels throwaway and personally I think it got praised because it wasn’t bad in a generally very weak season.

I really think the gene pool for Who writers has been exhausted. Time for new blood, time for writers who weren’t self confessed fans when they were younger to take the show in different directions. Time to start experimenting with the format, especially with an actor like Capaldi in charge.