Doctor Who News The Crimson Horror 3

Published on March 30th, 2014 | by Christian Cawley

Mark Gatiss Clarifies “Two Episodes” Statement

As reported previously, Mark Gatiss’ BBC Worldwide trip to Brazil has revealed that the writer and actor has been tasked with writing two episodes for Doctor Who.

However, while we initially took this to mean Series 8, it seems that isn’t necessarily the case…

Speaking on Twitter this week, Gatiss offered clarification:

There have been rumours that Gatiss is writing the Christmas episode this year, which would be the first time since Doctor Who returned in 2005 that task has been given to a writer other than the showrunner at the time. This in turn has even strengthened support for Gatiss to take over from Steven Moffat when he eventually leaves (although we suspect the show will revert to a more traditional production model when this occurs).

Better still, this clarification tells us that Doctor Who Series 9 is in pre-production!

Tags: , ,

10 Responses to Mark Gatiss Clarifies “Two Episodes” Statement

1. Simon Magellan says:

It would be interesting if he does the Xmas special – he has a taste for the old style BBC ghost stories that would suite the period – I have never quite been sure why the showrunner needs to always write the special – in fact, as they are specials I’d think “special” writers would be good – Gaiman for example – as they are separate from the normal run and can play with the format a bit more than usual.

I’d be very surprised – if the BBC keep the role of Head Writer – if it were not Gatiss next. He’s been promoting DW abroad, and he was consulted by Moffat about the appointment of Capaldi (who he is friends with and who he invited to the filming of AAISAT)

2. Dracarys says:

Agree so much with Simon. It would be brilliant if the Christmas special is written by either Gatiss or Gaiman.

3. Nathan says:

Apologies for my ignorance, but what would a “more traditional production model” entail?

• Less or zero writing from the showrunner, more storylining.

For instance, Adrian Hodges doesn’t write any episodes of The Musketeers.

• Hate to bust your bubble, but Hodges wrote four of the ten episodes of The Musketeers. He wrote the first two, the fourth and the finale.

• You’re quite right, my earlier comment was nonsense. What I meant to imply was that he has a lighter load than Moffat – end result is better consistency.

4. TonyS says:

THAT’s a clarification? Warn me when Gatiss sets out to obfuscate…

5. Lozzer says:

I read an interview where Moffat said he asked Gatiss who he thought would be a good choice for the next Doctor – Gatiss said Capaldi. It would only be manners to consult the next producer… I can’t see who else would do it. I think Gatiss should write the Christmas special, especially if it has a ghostly element to it, that is his thing after all.

6. Geoff says:

I really like Mark Gatiss, I love hearing the man speak and really enjoyed his History of Horror series which was clearly a labour of love. I enjoyed An adventure in space and time as well but his Doctor Who’s have always left me non plussed. It’s not that I think they are bad because they clearly aren’t, they just don’t rise head and shoulders above other writers stories in the way that Steven Moffats used to under RTD for instance. I find this strange because on paper Mak Gatiss is the winning horse in the race everytime but for me at least his form doesn’t translate into the finished product. Maybe if he had a free reign over the whole show that would be better than being hemmed into individual stories?

7. Pingback: Geekritique News Roundup – Week of 3/30/14 | Geekritique