Doctor Who News Peter Capaldi as the Doctor

Published on March 20th, 2014 | by James Lomond

Gatiss: Peter Capaldi Is ‘fierce’

Mark Gatiss, our gentleman in the field, was recently touring Brazil with BBC Worldwide to promote British drama. He appeared at two events – a Sherlock screening in Rio de Janeiro and a Q&A in Sao Paulo earlier this month.

President of the Brazilian Doctor Who Fan Club, Thais Aux, was on hand to report back on the event

Inevitably, there were many questions about new Doctor, Peter Capaldi, who, according to Gatiss, will be “typically Scottish”! He went on to say that the Twelfth Doctor will be “perhaps a little more fierce and less immediately knowable” than his predecessors…

It sounds like our Brazilian comrades are as excited and curious about the Twelfth Doctor as we are. And it looks as though predictions that we’ll have a sterner and perhaps more frightening Doctor are on the right lines. Might he even be a bit more alien?…

Gatiss was also asked about a Sherlock-Who crossover (just: Why??!) and whether the show is better off without the Time Lords. There is clearly a thriving fan base in the land of sun, sand and Samba – though sadly, save for the Fifth Doctor’s were-wolf themed audio outing in Big Finish’s Loups Garoux (it’s a while ago I listened to it but I remember it being VERY good), our celestial adventurer has never really visited Brazil.

The fans in Sao Paulo -clearly a hardcore bunch- were also keen to see a spin-off of the Metacrisis version of the Doctor with Rose in their parallel universe from Series 2. Gatiss writes this off as a story about the happily-ever-after ending and not really the stuff of engaging drama. I don’t entirely agree – in a cut scene the Tenth Doctor threw his Metacrisis counterpart a chunk of TARDIS coral that he could grow a new one from. Adventures a plenty! So really, I think the reason why a spin-off is a bad idea is because it wouldn’t actually be a spin-off. It would just be more of the Doctor and Rose!

…Except now he’d have a human life-span and possibly up for more romance and –forgive me Kasterborites who see the Doctor as a love object– that’s a story I can more than happily do without. Bring on the fierce, wild-eyed Scot!

What kind of Doctor do you hope we’ll have with Capaldi’s portrayal? Remember to tell us below… And are the Scots getting a raw deal here with this stereotyping as “fierce”? And more importantly, do you think the Doctor should wear a kilt?…

Tags: , ,

18 Responses to Gatiss: Peter Capaldi Is ‘fierce’

1. iLikeTheUDK says:

He should meet Jamie at one point!

• The crossest man in Scotland. That would be hilarious.

• SMBComix says:

I think he means Jamie McCrimmon, not Jamie MacDonald. Though, that would be awesome too!

• iLikeTheUDK says:

Yup, I was talking about James Robert McCrimmon there. The companion of the Second Doctor. THAT Jamie.

• Ah, my bad. But still.

2. DonnaM says:

Less predictable; more alien; eminently capable of scaring the monsters right back. Sounds like somebody’s been peeking at my wish-list for the next Doctor!

As for the crossover/spinoff ideas – no thank you, Brazil! One’s potentially silly, the other would be plain dull for me!

• James Mclean says:

I have to say a spin off with meta-crisis Doctor doesn’t really engage me. Give him a TARDIS and its just the same show as we’ve had. Sometimes its good to move on. Sure, I can see some dramatic nuances with him not being fully Time Lord, but would it really be enough to generate a whole series? Feels very stuck-in-the-past, something I think Doctor Who best avoids. In my humble and personal opinion of course!

The only avenue I see for a spin-off would be McGann and that’s only because so far as mainstream audiences go, his character hasn’t had exploration (as wonderful as his BIg Finish stuff is, not many have heard it in the greater scheme of things).

3. FrancoPabloDiablo says:

As a proud Scot, I am quiet happy for us to be stereotyped as “fierce”! And I quite agree with the two comments above!

4. Al says:

They need to be careful. All these things were said of Colin Baker’s Doctor too and the public rejected it. I don’t see a problem with Capaldi’s Doctor and romance – and it’s ageist to say he’s too old – there’s a fascinating short film called Synced on YouTube that has him snogging Neve McIntosh. He’s been there.

• Simon Magellan says:

The public didn’t reject reject Colin Baker though – the ratings were little different from the year before in actual fact for the 22nd season – seven/eight million per ep if I remember correctly. The reason it all went belly up had more to do with internal BBC politics than anything else.

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

I think by now we all know that Colin was, in general, the victim of a poorly conceived costume (though I, as a fan, love it nonetheless), poor scripts (extremely poor on a few occasions), The deteriorating relationship between Saward and JN-T (both had clearly run out of steam by Trial), A ‘hiatus’ forced upon the show by a man (Grade) that not only hated the programme but also had a personal grievance against Baker (about a particular woman).

Mr. C Baker can hold his head high as one of the all time greats thanks to Big Finish. Thanks to their brilliant audios we now hear what we always knew: Old Sixy IS BRILLIANT! He has topped many polls as the ‘best’ audio Doctor!

But we should already know this from his performance on TV. Varos and Revelation are Classics. And even the rotters like Twin, Attack and Timelash are watchable mainly only because of his performance and presence!!!

Thank you Colin, you are a legend (well, one of 12 – or is it 13, or 14…?)

5. TonyS says:

Colin Baker (and the production team at that time) were playing a long game. The BBC took the rug from under them and didn’t give them the time to play it out. It was a decision that mis-fired.

If Peter Capaldi is given the time then I am sure we will see a much more positive reaction.

Personally I liked the Sixth Doctor when he was on tv. There were a lot of his stories I did not like. But he WAS the Doctor.

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Whether we liked it or not! :)

6. DonnaM says:

I don’t for a moment believe Moffat and Co are daft. I’m sure they remember the reaction to the Sixth Doctor (who I don’t blame personally – Colin Baker was given the roughest end of the stick ever) and will apply some subtlety whatever they’re doing with Twelve.

It’s also worth pointing out that there may be a bit of exaggeration going on; and that Malcolm Tucker was supposed to be Mr Nasty and wound up immensely popular!

Matt’s Doctor was, for my taste, not “fierce”. If Peter’s is a “little more fierce” and “a little less knowable” – does that mean he’s going to be unlikeable?

Not to my way of thinking. It may well make him a lot more interesting!

7. dr jon says:

Colin baker was a good actor and good Dr and it was a shame he was not given the chance to shine,he was totally different from his predecessors the closest Dr personality wise would have been the first Dr. And you need variety for the programme to survive. And capaldi I hope will be a lot different from the previous two incarnations. I myself would like to see a more serious and cantankerous incarnation.

8. Jamie-42 says:

I think that this is great news!

I still see Moffat’s description as very Tom Baker. Yes he was funny but there was a real other worldliness and fierceness there too. But perhaps all the old doctors had those traits.

Is this a return to that feeling, less lover and more fighter?

9. Geoff says:

I’ve worried about history repeating itself as and older fan who remembers the 80s, even though I know the works is totally different now and the programme sits in a different place in a different TV landscape. Despite this rational knowledge I still worry when I see: grumpier Doctor, only one name considered, no audition, if I hear that Moff and Capaldi hit it off at a wedding in the summer I’ll sh@t myself!

Of course another very true point which often gets forgotten but has been articulated very firmly on this thread (I’m pleased to see ) is the fact that the casting of Colin Baker was virtually the only thing the production team got right between 84 and 86. That he ended up being made the scapegoat for all the other poor decisions is something I’ll alway feel for Colin over, like many others it seems.

• Other names *were* considered, whatever Moff says publicly. So you can rest easy on that score….