Doctor Who News Samuel Anderson is Danny Pink in Doctor Who Series 8

Published on March 6th, 2014 | by Philip Bates

Doctor Who Series 8 Episode 5 Writer Confirmed

Steve Thompson has been confirmed as the writer of Doctor Who Series 8, Episode 5!

The Curse of the Black Spot scribe joins showrunner Steven Moffat in forming Block Two of the shooting schedule, consisting of episodes 4 and 5, reports Doctor Who Magazine.

Thompson first wrote for Doctor Who in 2011, and returned last year with Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS. Most first heard of Thompson when he penned The Blind Banker, the second episode of Sherlock, and since, he’s been behind the immensely-popular The Reichenbach Fall and The Sign of Three. His Who stories, however, have been highly divisive – so might we expect the same from his first Twelfth Doctor tale?

Thompson’s story stars Broadchurch‘s Jonathan Bailey and Pippa Bennett-Warner, who you may have seen in a recent episode of Death in Paradise.

Block Two, which introduces Samuel Anderson as Danny Pink, has begun filming, helmed by director, Douglas Mackinnon (The Sontaran Stratagem/ The Poison Sky; Cold War).

Episodes 1 and 4 have been written by Moffat, whilst Phil Ford (The Waters of Mars; The Sarah Jane Adventures) has scripted episode 2. Hide‘s Neil Cross has been confirmed for the upcoming 13-episode run, and both Mark Gatiss and Tom MacRae are expected to return. Doc Martin scriptwriter, Jack Lothian, has also worked on a storyline, originally destined for Series 7… but who knows when we’ll see that.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to Doctor Who Series 8 Episode 5 Writer Confirmed

1. Ian Scales says:

I am guessing they are taking the piss here – Curse of the Bland Plot then the one with the guy who suddenly realises he isn’t an android. How the flip….

• rickjlundeen says:

I used to dislike anything Chris Chibnall wrote but then he did Dinosaurs on a spaceship and I absolutely loved it—maybe my favorite Smith story ever. Sometimes it’s the chemistry of a certain Doctor with a writer. I liked Journey to the center of the Tardis but hated Curse of the Black spot. Hopefully he’ll surpass himself. Hopefully. I’ll be happy if Neil Cross doesn’t return, I’ll say that.

Then you get a guy like Mark Gatiss–he seems to excel at Victorian stories and other eras, not so much.

2. drewboynton says:

Hooo boy, maybe the third time will be the charm?

3. Ian Scales says:

Of course, Rob Shearman, Cornell, etc and females writers like Debbie Moon have already succeeded in their fields – but they ain’t in the same league, or circles lol :)

4. Lozzer says:

Moffat clearly likes him and probably finds him easy to work with. I didn’t mind Journey, but COTBS was pretty bad, not Akhaten bad, but still bad. Ideally I’d like RTD to come out of his Doctor Who retirement and pen an episode. He must be tempted to write one for Capaldi.

• rickjlundeen says:

Yeah, COTBS was one of the worst and after watching it, I really got the feeling that Moffat doesn’t “showrun” as completely as he should or barely paid the ep any attention. With that episode, it seems like he either gave Thompson one or two quick notes (or none) and then washed his hands of any and all quality control.

• Francis Cave says:

I seem to remember someone (perhaps even Moffat himself) comparing his show running style with RTD’s to that of a swimming instructor.

RTD would actually be in the pool with the person learning, coaching them all the way while he would be standing on the side, watching and calling out encouragement/advice only when needed.

For this reason I have felt there is a lack of consistency from story to story since series five, going from excellent one week to frankly disappointing to the next.

5. francis cave says:

Have to say I’ve been seriously unimpressed by his Who work so far, though conversely his last two Sherlock episodes have been brilliant.

Lets just pray its third time lucky…

6. Simon Magellan says:

Can’t say I’m particularly taken with the writers so far. Phil Ford…well, OK, we’ll see, but Thomson has been seriously blah – for me Journey was a low point in new Who. None of the other names rumoured are very inspiring either. Still, we’ll see – maybe a new Doctor will help them lift their game – after all, even Robert Holmes wrote blah stories!

7. Neu 75 says:

Thompson’s got to up his game I think. His two stories are at the wrong end of Who appreciation.

8. Ranger says:

COBS was just barely tolerable, Journey wasn’t at all. Still he does have form with the Sherlock stories he’s done, so may be he’ll get it right this time. or is it a case, that some writers, however good they are in other things, just never get the DW vibe right?

9. Geoff says:

Its not just the writing though is it? I didn’t really like his last two either, neither made a lot of sense but there are plenty of Doctor Who stories that don’t make lots of sense but compensate in other area, chemistry of performers or over all atmosphere for example. I think both those stories lacked anything to bolster up the actual story. Hopefully this time it will go better but even if it does what I think is likely is that this year we will get another year of when its great its great and the rest of the time its so-so (which is far from awful by the by) because that seems to be the pattern (no matter who is in charge, lets not forget even the sainted
    Phillip Hinchcliffe had Revenge of the Cybermen, The Android Invasion and The Hand of Fear to name but three clankers from his tenure). Which is hardly surprising when you think about the premise of the show.

• Simon Magellan says:

Interestingly enough the Android Invasion had the same problem as Journey – in AI a character believes he’s lost an eye simply because he’s been told this and made to wear a patch. So you ask yourself why he couldn’t tell he had an eye, did he never take the patch off?

In Journey, a character is told he’s an android and believes it – but the poor old viewer has to ask himself, did he never eat, drink, go to the toilet?

And this viewer asked himself why no one – not the writer, the Director, the various producers and script editors, even the actors – no one seemed to be struck by the absurdity of this. Which begs the question, did any of them read the script?!

• Geoff says:

Or they just accept the flaws and get on with it! Peter Davison once said that he noticed his stories had plot holes all over the place but the audience didn’t seem to notice or care too much.
        I’m amazed to have got thumbed down just for saying not all Doctor Who is a the pinnacle of TV brilliance! I even said I didn’t mind that fact either!
        For me the entertainment is what it’s about. My all time favourite: Talons of Weng Chiang is full of padding and unnessacary nonsense but it’s such good padding, so well written and performed it makes the story all the better. My problem with Black Spot and Journey was that no aspect of the productions seemed to have the magic dust sprinkled on them.

10. matthewstott says:

I’m not surprised to see his name again, because of their Sherlock connection, but I mean come on, has Moffat really been that impressed with the two Who eps Thompson has written? I mean really..? Who knows, perhaps this time he’ll do something decent, but his previous two were really pretty uninspiring, surely he could have found someone fresh to the show and given them the chance instead? There’s just been no special spark to Thompson’s Who so far.