Published on March 25th, 2014 | by Jonathan Appleton

Here It Is: Doctor Number 12′s Sonic Screwdriver!!

While rest of the world sleeps, filming on Doctor Who Series 8 continues and footage has emerged of Peter Capaldi brandishing his sonic screwdriver in episode 3!

Captured during a night shoot on Monday of this week in Cardiff, Doctor number twelve can be seen seemingly using the device to take some crucial readings, or perhaps just to find his way in the dark.

Difficult to be sure but it looks to be the same sonic Matt Smith used. In a new variant on the Doctor’s costume, Capaldi is wearing Arthur English’s coat from Are You Being Served? (Ask your parents…)

Excitingly, the clip also gives us a glimpse of a fearsome new creature (or maybe it’s a robot?) with glowing blue eyes being wheeled into shot for what looks like a dramatic reveal.

What can all this mean? Is the Doctor going undercover again, this time as a factory supervisor? Let the speculation begin!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

has watched Doctor Who since those great big spiders did for Jon Pertwee, and it's way too late to stop now. When he's not at his job working for a charity in Hull he spends his time following Hull City's fortunes, listening to Bruce Springsteen and wondering why it took thirty years too long for Doctor Who action figures to come along. Favourite stories include the one with the mummies, the one with Mr Sin and the one with the Mona Lisa. Currently watching: The Time Monster - was there ever a more barking Doctor Who story?

19 Responses to Here It Is: Doctor Number 12′s Sonic Screwdriver!!

1. vortexter says:

A bit boring to have the same sonic as Matt perhaps but it doesn’t mean it has to change with each regeneration really. That Monster looks like a Borg! Or one of the strike clones from Fortress. Perhaps Capaldi’s Dr will dress up in different outfits like Troughton, or Pertwees Charlady.

• JackSchidt1971 says:

I see no problem with him having the previous sonic. tennant used 9′s sonic…and the classic doctors often recycled sonics.

• DevilBlackDeath says:

Tennant didn’t use 9′s sonic ;) Though the main colors are the same, there are some (rather good by the way) design differences, first of all Tennant’s screwdriver is a bit thinner, Eccleston’s one was a bit “fat” IMHO ! Also the slide that allows him to extend his sonic is a bit “sexier”. But I admit these are quite minor differences. Also I absolutely loved Smith’s screwdriver, so having Capaldi use it is certainly a good surprise to me :D

2. francis Cave says:

More importantly, are they going to go back to referring to it by its full proper name and not “The Sonic”?

3. Ian Scales says:

It looks a bit thinner than Matt’s…. Honestly, how does that sound!

4. David says:

“…Capaldi is wearing Arthur English’s coat from Are You Being Served? (Ask your parents…)”

My parents? I bloody remember it!!! 😎

• mrjohnm says:

I love “Are You Being Served?” British comedy is fantastic!

5. He runs like a girl. Good thing there’s going to be a new young male companion!

• DonnaM says:

A funny run is a definite advantage in a Doctor!

• Neu 75 says:

Hmmm. That was a bit of a sexist comment, Janet.

6. Chandler says:

If it is still a sonic then he isn’t the Doctor wh gives the screwdriver to River, now is he?

• Elle says:

Mini episodes that show the 11th doctor giving River his screwdriver. Well, right before he does.

7. Mugen Pharoah says:

Arthur English reference…..fantastic

8. starsuperion says:

I do think that is Matt’s Sonic. But since this is the continuation of the recent regeneration, I suspect a new Sonic will be forth coming either by the end of the new season, or part way through. I hope they keep the current format though for the interior console room, it is quite impressive and reminiscent of the classic series. Needless to say, I am very excited about the new upcoming Capaldi season!

• TonyS says:

Actually, I think it’s from episode 3

9. TonyS says:

“Excitingly, the clip also gives us a glimpse of a fearsome new creature (or maybe it’s a robot?) ”

In an episode tentatively titled “Robots of Sherwood”, I am going to go with “robot”…

10. DonnaM says:

I’m glad to see they’re not wasting time and money on another pointless redesign of that infernally over-used gadget (although I’ve never been fond of the current design – it’s all a bit clunky for my taste).

And “Arthur English’s coat” – that’s the kind of thing that brings me here before any other Doctor Who site! Elsewhere I’ve seen it described as a labcoat/different coloured version of the usual, and I’ve thought “What???” :-)

I’d say he’s nicked it from either a warehouseman or (possibly) a school caretaker.

11. hyncharas says:

The Doctor’s screwdriver doesn’t always change even though he does; odds are it is the same one but, if the brief clip from the 50th Anniversary is anything to go by, the TARDIS interior may have have a new look at some point in Season 8.

12. zoodles sevrux says:

He gets a new sonic screwdriver but probably later in the episode, like with the 1st episode with 11😇 you can Google what it looks like.😕