Big Finish Doctor Who: The Highest Science gets Big Finish adaptation

Published on March 15th, 2014 | by Jonathan Appleton

Big Finish Adapts The Highest Science!

Exciting news for New Adventures fans with the announcement from Big Finish that they’ll be releasing an audio adaptation of The Highest Science later this year!

Dating from 1993, Gareth Roberts’s novel (available on Amazon) was his first to be published by Virgin and introduced recurring monsters the Chelonians. Sylvester McCoy will be the Doctor, joined by Lisa Bowerman as Bernice Summerfield.

Following the success of 2012′s Love and War, Jacqueline Rayner will again be on scripting duties with Cavan Scott producing and Scott Handcock in the director’s chair. Handcock promises an intriguing tale of “temporal disturbances, warmongering commuters and murderous cybernetic tortoises”.

‘Sakkrat. Many legends speak of this world, home of an ancient empire destroyed by its own greatest achievement: the Highest Science, the pinnacle of technological discovery.

When the TARDIS alerts the Doctor and Bernice to the presence of an enormous temporal fluctuation on a large, green, unremarkable planet, they are not to know of any connection with the legend.’

The adventure will be one of Big Finish’s special Doctor Who releases and is available for pre-order now.

Readers of a certain vintage are sure be all dewy-eyed at the prospect of another New Adventures adaptation and will be eager to snap this one up. Which other novels (“too broad and deep for the small screen”) do you think would make for great audio releases?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Jonathan remembers catching Tony Hughes's Doctor in BBC Schools Mathsshow when he was off school in 1975. This more than made up for having chickenpox. Something of an old hand by this time, he had learned from The Doctor Who Monster Book that there were other Doctors and adventures to discover - an exciting prospect for a five year old.

6 Responses to Big Finish Adapts The Highest Science!

1. TimeChaser says:

I was very thrilled to hear about this, as I am of the opinion that BF should do more NA adaptations. I remember The Highest Science very well. I read it when I was 12 and it was the first New Adventure I read from start to finish.

2. Andrew Dorgomire says:

I would love to see Lungbarrow get an adaptation, but some of its plot threads would need to be modified, like the idea of Looms and the Other, which makes the background Doctor’s birth a great big muddle. It’s essentially the Seventh Doctor’s final story and it would lead into the TV Movie.

3. sroman says:

Lungbarrow’s a good idea. How about The Dying Days, the last Virgin novel and the first Eight Doctor adventure? Lance Parkin’s already done work for Big Finish; he could adapt his own novel!

Or perhaps Damaged Goods, Russell T Davies’s novel? Swap in Bennie for Chris Cwej and Roz Forrester, keep the Gallifreyan weapon in a 1987 estate setting.

4. TimeChaser says:

I’ve always wanted BF to do some more NA-era stuff ever since The Shadow of the Scourge, one of my favorite audios. Either do some more original stuff like that or adapt novels like Legacy, Theater of War, Blood Harvest, Strange England, Human Nature.

I’d love to see a Blood Heat-No Future box set, but they would have to re-cast the Brigadier at least for No Future. They could always switch out Mike Yates for the older Brig in Blood Heat,

5. John Miller says:

I’m glad that some people are looking forward to this, but I am not. The Virgin Books were and are a stain on Doctor Who. I was happy that The TV Movie, the DWM Comics, The BBC Books, the New Series and yes Big Finish all chose to ignore the “revelations” of the Virgin Books. The Shadow of the Scourge was the first Doctor Who Big Finish release that I actually despised. This is not a knock on Lisa Bowerman, who is an excellent actress, but that whole era of trying to fit Doctor Who into somebody else’s mythos, and loads of gratuitous sex, swearing, “exposing” everyone as gay, and giving a “real name” and tedious backstory to every extra who ever appeared in Doctor Who ended nearly twenty years ago. And it would be best to leave it back there.

6. mrjohnm says:

I’m not too sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, I really enjoy the Big Finish audios, especially the McGann and Baker series. But on the other hand, I also enjoy reading the NA and feel an audio recording may ruin my enjoyment of the read. I would, however, be willing to buy reprints of the Virgin series of Dr. Who if only to replace the copies I have that are falling apart now!