Doctor Who News 12thdr-unveiled-ft2

Published on February 22nd, 2014 | by Jonathan Appleton

The Twelfth Doctor: Shirt vs Jumper, Tradition vs Punk [SPOILER?]

Speculation Alert!

Okay, it’s the weekend, who’s for indulging a bit of old-fashioned Doctor Who fan conjecture? You are? Great!

A potential variation on new Doctor Peter Capaldi’s costume has emerged in snaps posted on a couple of well-known social media sites used by young people. It seems the Twelfth Doctor may opt in a future episode to ditch the smart white shirt he recently sported in his well received new costume launch shots and go for more of a dressed-down approach.

The previously unseen black jersey captured in new location pics (here’s another) either has a subtle yet eye-catching speckled white pattern or it’s just got loads of holes in it; it’s difficult to tell. There’s no reason why the Doctor shouldn’t change his get-up now and again, of course, and it has been breezy of late so it’s no surprise if a man of his age should feel the need to opt for warmth over style (he said, shamelessly adding to the ‘Capaldi too ancient to play the Doctor’ debate).

What do you think of the ‘jersey variant’ (as I’m going to call it from now on, even if no one else does)? What does it mean for forthcoming story arcs? And who’ll be the first cosplayer to create their own version? Over to you, Kasterborites!

(With thanks to Daren)

Tags: , ,

Jonathan remembers catching Tony Hughes's Doctor in BBC Schools Mathsshow when he was off school in 1975. This more than made up for having chickenpox. Something of an old hand by this time, he had learned from The Doctor Who Monster Book that there were other Doctors and adventures to discover - an exciting prospect for a five year old.

15 Responses to The Twelfth Doctor: Shirt vs Jumper, Tradition vs Punk [SPOILER?]

1. Seán Marvin says:

I’m all for it, it may even turn out more refreshing than Eleven’s hat experimentation. I don’t see what the fuss seems to be over his age. I mean, I can understand the hopes of some of the newer Whovians, who may have wanted/expected the Doctor to either consistently become younger or gender swap, change always has potential for intrigue. As far as I’m concerned, a recurring theme throughout all of the actors in Doctor Who, even Sylvester, has been ancient wisdom accompanied by a certain boyish whimsy and enthusiasm portrayed in the character since it’s inception. It can be seen all through humanity, that despite the fatigue of time, we’re all just older children. I feel Capaldi certainly fits the bill, he may be an older, more serious looking gent, but look closer at that face (especially in the linked fan photo), and see the young man that grew up with the Doctor.

2. Geoff says:

I’m in favour of as much variation on the theme as possible, the alternative leads only to a final destination of question marks on collars and never, never changing your clothes (except maybe swapping your shirt for a virtually identical one) for three whole years! What is a horrible thing for anyone to do, whether they are a Timelord or not.

3. TimeChaser says:

It could be that he’s not fully suited up yet for filming. But who knows. What I’d like to know is, what’s he holding? A new sonic screwdriver?

4. Ryan Gross says:

It looks like he’s half dressed. No doubt they’ll mix up the costume a bit. But, a white spotted jumper doesn’t quite mesh with the ensemble.

• Paul Blume says:

I must agree. And it’s not as if it hasn’t been a mite chilly during filming recently ~ he may have NEEDED the jumper.

5. So, some of you think he’s a bit chilly (so he takes his shirt off and replaces it with a thin jumper), others reckon Capaldi isn’t yet ready for shooting, despite wearing THE coat.

Interesting…

6. Pingback: Możliwe wariacje kostiumu Dwunastego. - Wszystko o serialu Doctor Who - Gallifrey.pl

7. RedPanda says:

In my opinion it looks like Capaldi was wearing the jumper, got approached by a fan of the show wanting a picture, and grabbed his coat to wear because it’s sort of the most notable part of the costume. I could be wrong, of course.

• TimeChaser says:

That sounds like a plausible explanation to me.

8. Simon Magellan says:

As we have no context for the scenes being filmed, it’s hard to say what this may or may not mean – maybe they are filming the scenes where he begins to put together his wardrobe, so has the coat but not the rest of it?

9. TonyS says:

Or maybe they’re rehearsing…

10. drewboynton says:

I’m gonna take this to the next level: the above picture is obviously the Twelfth Doctor in his new new new official costume, with his new companion, Ellie. There’s no doubt about it.

11. Geoff says:

Come on Christian, surely this deserves the title of jumpergate!

12. Scott says:

Not his costume. Not even the coat.

13. Ranger says:

I like the jumper – whether it is part of the costume or not, we shall see. I see Fraser Hines has liked the picture.