Doctor Who News Steven Moffat

Published on February 7th, 2014 | by Philip Bates

Moffat on his Future as Showrunner

Some will be looking forward to the day showrunner, Steven Moffat bids Doctor Who adieu. But I think a far larger amount of people are dreading that day.

In a Sherlock-focussed interview with Assignment X, Steven has talked about the nation’s two favourite shows and how he will sadly have to say goodbye to one of them:

“Eventually, I’ll stop doing Doctor Who, because it stops me doing anything else. But Sherlock doesn’t swamp my schedule, doesn’t swamp anyone. So I could imagine we’ll come back and do Sherlock fairly often for many years, rather than very often for a few years.”

Naturally, this is why Doctor Who has lasted 50 years. It moves on. And we’ve had some fantastic producers, brilliant script editors, incredible showrunners looking after that wonderful TARDIS, haven’t we?

Moffat, who has been running things since 2010 (well, sort of 2009, but shush), says he never knows how long he’ll stay:

“You never know that in advance. If we weren’t enjoying it, or we didn’t think there was anything good left to do, we’d stop, but we haven’t reached that point yet, is all we can say. I can envision just doing [Sherlock] for a while – for quite a while, possibly. The fact that we only do it occasionally means it’s not swamping anyone’s schedule.”

Remember Rule One though: Moffat Lies. He says he even knew how long Matt Smith would stay as the good Doc!

I don’t like this ominous talk. I genuinely don’t like the idea of Steven leaving any time soon – so let’s focus on what he recently told Doctor Who Magazine; that the next two series will be straight runs… which surely means that he’ll be spearheading them both!

(Thanks to DWTV.)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

57 Responses to Moffat on his Future as Showrunner

1. Time of the Doctor was bloody awful. Time to go Moff.

• avatar Philip Bates says:

During his time as showrunner, he also wrote The Eleventh Hour; The Time of Angels/ Flesh and Stone; The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang; A Christmas Carol; The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon; The Wedding of River Song; The Angels Take Manhattan; The Snowmen; The Bells of St. John; The Name of the Doctor; and The Day of the Doctor – that’s without mentioning the stories he wrote during the RTD era.

But yes, let’s judge him by an episode that many hated but many loved. Time to go, Moff.

• @ Steve Freestone: I agree 100%. It was like that awful gift someone gives you that, well, you just can’t give back once you open it.

• avatar Lozzer says:

Time Of The Doctor has made me want to have a break from the show, I’ve not been able to watch an episode since. I hope Moffat has the balls to shake things up a bit as the show has become a little bit stale during his tenure. I still think he’s a quality writer, but I just didn’t get his vision for the Smith era.

• avatar TimeChaser says:

I can’t put into words how disgusted I feel with some of the comments for this article. One episode has really made you stop watching ANY others, even if its temporary? Is your love for the show that weak? Are we just talking new series or everything?

Sorry, I don’t mean to sound rude. I’m just genuinely surprised and curious.

• avatar Lozzer says:

I just didn’t get it. I love the show, but it was a full on year and I feel a bit Doctor Who’d out… I was completely blown away by the Night and Day Of The Doctor and I was expecting great things from TOTD, sadly I was left bitterly disappinted and it’s genuinely made me want a little break from the show – I think it’s a healthy attitude to not overindulge and occasionally fast. I need to build up the love again and I’m glad we have a long series break – don’t get me wrong though, I’ll revert to little kid mode as soon as we get near series 8. And who knows…. I might catch a repeat of TOTD and decide I was a little bit harsh in my judgement.

• avatar TonyS says:

Lozzer I can see what you mean. I thought TTOTD had many failings. Personally, I enjoyed it all the same. But I can’t explain why. TDOTD had so much going for it: so many things to admire. But on first viewing I was so underwhelmed it left me wondering whether I wanted to watch the programme any more. That doesn’t make either of us any the less a fan. Different things appeal to different fans.

I have since rewatched TDOTD a few times and have come to like it a lot.

I hope when you rewatch TTOTD you will enjoy it more. If not, well that is your opinion and that is as valid as anyone else’s.

It’s good that we all have different views and are able to express them on here in a calm and well-reasoned manner.

2. avatar TimeChaser says:

I would like to see Moffat stay a while longer. I’m starting to think of him as the JNT of the new series: there are some fans who blame both for the ruination of Doctor Who, when in truth this is nonsense.

3. avatar CJLP88 says:

I’d like him to leave this year, not that I have disliked his run, in fact I have perferred to it RTDs, but it just feels like time for a big change. Maybe Capaldi will bring that change, but I feel like it’s time for Moff to move on to other things. If only because I third runner would help break up the relentless Moff/RTD bickering.

4. avatar DonnaM says:

I hope he stays for another two series; I’d like to see a good, solid couple of years with the Moffat/Capaldi double act. Ideally, then he could hand over with an established Doctor in situ and ease the new boss in.

I’ve often found there’s a lot of truth in an old saying: better the devil you know!

Personally I rate him highly (and I do consider the JNT years the absolute rock-bottom by the way). I can’t say there’s any obvious successor to Mr M as he was to RTD, and there’s been good and bad in every showrunner’s era. I give it two episodes, tops, before the next man’s being accused of “running the show” by somebody!

• avatar TimeChaser says:

Right, because E-Space Trilogy, The Keeper of Traken, Kinda, Earthsock, Snakedance, Mawdryn Undead, The Caves of Androzani, Vengeance on Varos, Revelation of the Daleks, Remembrance of the Daleks, The Greatest Show in the Galaxy, Ghost Light, The Curse of Fenric and Survival are all rock bottom.

I am so tired of people saying one producer’s/showrunner’s era is the rock bottom of Doctor Who. There is no rock bottom attributable to a single person! There are always ups and downs, masterpieces mixed with muck.

I guess the people who insist all of 80s Doctor Who sucked only watched the stories written by Pip and Jane Baker.

• avatar It is the end..... says:

I don’t think JNT was ever a major creative force on Doctor Who. If you watch the whole of the 1980s episodes back to back, there is a great deal of flux in terms of style and creativity. That flux coincides with the tenure of the three main script editors. These were the creative powerhouses, whilst JNT was the money man. He was a very different producer to say, Letts and Hinchcliffe. Hence, there is no comparison to be had with Moffat and JNT. One justifiable comparison might be with Terence Dicks, who was around for 6 seasons, and Barry Letts five.

I reckon the Grand Moff has at least a couple more years of creativity left in him regarding Dr Who. Who knows, but it would seem odd if his opening gambit to Peter Capaldi was, “please come along for the ride….and by the way, I’ll be gone in 13 episodes. ” Really? Two or three more seasons seems more likely. And I for one welcome this.

• avatar Rick714 says:

JNT was not a very good producer in many respects. The good scripts were few and far between but there were some. Ghost Light was so impenetrable that even the actors IN it didn’t know what the heck was going on. Greatest show was ok and Kinda and Snakedance are very over-rated. The only quality that seeped through was when Eric Saward had his act together and managed certain triumphs in spite of JNT.

And don’t get me started on what fashion mistakes JNT forced upon his 3 Doctors… BUT, he did love the show and he stayed well past his welcome just to make sure the show itself survived. Even if his era was the nadir of Doctor Who….Doctor Who has been pretty awesome across 50 years. So that’s not necessarily the condemnation it would be on other shows.

The Moff does have his problems, but so did RTD. And Graham Williams. and a couple others in the ’60′s.

• avatar DonnaM says:

Personally – and it’s all subjective – I found the era gimmicky, occasionally downright nasty and more uneven in terms of story quality that any other. I disliked huge chunks of it, although McCoy’s years did have standout stories that I still enjoy today – Ghost Light and The Curse of Fenric foremost among them.

It was the only period when I could happily miss my Saturday evening fix of Doctor Who. I’m very glad other people feel differently. However, my opinion remains intact :-)

5. avatar vortexter says:

I agree. He has done well but its time to move on. I would also like a non-fan as showrunner so that something different will be brought to the table.

• avatar SMBComix says:

A non-fan would try to bury the show in the ground though.

• What, like Barry Letts or Philip Hinchcliffe?

Yeah, those non-fans don’t know what they’re doing, do they?

Seriously though, why would anyone take a job and then try to ruin the show? What would that do to their future employment?

• avatar TonyS says:

Someone who hated the show might commit professional suicide by running it into the ground. But the world is not populated by people who adore the show and those who want it exterminated. Let’s explore the pools of talent that do not fall into those extremes

6. avatar Victor says:

I’m very pro-Moffat, he’s simply written some of the finest Who ever. He’s one of the bestwriters ever to tackle the show, with more classic episodes behind him than possibly anyone. Having said that, I am intrigued to see who would take over and what sort of a show it would then be. Either way, it’s pretty clear he won’t be around for much longer, I wouldn’t be surprised if he hands things on after Capaldi’s first year.

7. avatar TonyS says:

I find it very difficult to maintain any consistency in my attitude to Mr Moff. Before Dr Who I would have regarded him as a genius. Oh alright, I DID regard him as a genius. His writing of Press Gang, Joking Apart and Coupling is absolutely brilliant. The Curse of Fatal Death is superb.

And then in 2005 the programme came back and Russell T Davies had the sense to ask Mr Moff to contribute and so we got: The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances; The Girl in the Fir… hang on, you know what he has written. I don’t need to list them. So when RTD moved aside and Mr Moff was announced as showrunner, I was delighted.

He has done very much that is excellent. Season 5 is a season that I enjoyed immensely. Even Vampires in Venice. There is something enjoyable about scary Vampire fish girls and pretending that Caerphilly Castle is in Venice.

And then we got season 6 (numerically inevitable, really) which I loathed. It got so bad that I considered giving up. I know a lot of people like season 6. I did not.

The split seasons (even worse in season 7 needless to say) and the overweaning story arc annoyed the blazes out of me.

I didn’t like the first half of season 7. The “movie of the week” approach was, for me, unsuccessful.

You are probably asking why I call myself a fan if I have liked so much recent production. Believe me, I was asking myself the same question. That was not a pleasant time for me.

And then! And then! The Snowmen, Clara, the second half of season 7. I was in heaven. (Well there was that one set in the TARDIS, but never mind) I was enjoying the programme again. And the anniversary delivered so much more than I could have hoped for. (Oh look! ending a sentence with a preposition. I’ve never done that before. I don’t know what will happen now)

Yes one could ride a coach and four through The Time of the Doctor and not scrape the paintwork. But it was fun!

So, do I want Mr Moff to stay or go? Stay. Definitely stay. But please please please organise your work so that you can give the programme the time it needs. You are doing too much Mr Moff. Something will give. Please do not let it be your health.

I am looking forward to seeing what he does with a new star and a new direction. Please don’t go just yet.

• This is pretty much how I feel, BUT I’d prefer it if there was a changeover sooner rather than later just to keep things fresh. If that’s not possible, then more writers that aren’t SM.

I don’t see the showrunner model lasting beyond SM to be honest. Seems to be a bit of an albatross…

• avatar Andrew G. Dick says:

For me most of the best episodes over since 2010 especially Series 7 are those written by Steven Moffat. On his day he is still better than the pack. Also from the BBC’s perspective I doubt they will see there is a problem when the show is so successful, and particularly overseas. So they will see if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

• avatar Christine says:

Wasn’t the albatross part of the Firefly/Serenity ‘verse?

• avatar Simon Magellan says:

I’d agree with you re the Showrunner format – being a good writer does not mean you are necessarily going to make a good Showrunner (or whatever we want to call them). The great eras of the classic show, under Lambert, Llloyd, Letts and Hinchcliffe, were run by professional tv producers – Verity Lambert was not a writer, and though some later producers did dabble (like Letts) they were first and foremost Producers who relied on good Script Editors to deal with the story side of things. As noted above, JNT’s run can be broken down into three separate eras, each defined by it’s Script Editor.

For me, the most glaring problem recently has been the lack of noticeable Script Editing. I couldn’t tell you the names of the ones for Season 7 – and plot holes, poor writing, that should be dealt with by the office, not by Moffat.

We need to get back to the standard Producer-Script Editor structure – and I still believe that the appointment of Brian Minchin is a step towards this.

• avatar Geoff says:

You’ve summed up my thinking too, I didn’t dislike the middle run as much as you but I still haven’t seen all of it and am not rushing to do so despite the presence of the brilliant Matt Smith so that must mean something. But last years shows I found really exciting and creative again. Horses for courses I suppose because I know not everyone feels that way.
      Bearing in mind Mr Moffat cast Peter Capaldi I’d like to see how he sculpts the show around him for a couple of years and would imagine that the reason he didn’t leave with Matt was because he has decided to stay on to do just that. It would make sense.

8. avatar a fan says:

I keep waiting for the BBC to call me here in California to offer me the job. I’d be great.

9. avatar Calli Arcale says:

I very much like what he’s done, as I very much liked what RTD did, but I hope he doesn’t stay too much longer. Change is one of the things that keeps Doctor Who so strong, and if the same producer stays too long, there is a very real risk of stagnation. I personally think JNT stayed too long, for instance. (I don’t blame him for the cancellation, though; that was the work of implacable outside forces that genuinely hated the show. And I did like even his last season. It helped greatly that back then the script editor and producer were not the same person, and there were several script editors under JNT.) I mean, the sense of continuity of style from Tom Baker’s last season through the end of the classic show does have some nice advantages — but on the other hand, there were wonderful things about other producers that we weren’t getting in those years. It needs to mix up from time to time. I look forward to Moffatt’s next season or two, but I will be happy to meet the next producer’s work as well. ;-)

• avatar SutekhsGiftOfUnlimitedRicePudding says:

From what I gather, the problem that eventually occurred with JNT was that he didn’t want to stay on by the end, but he couldn’t leave because the head of drama wouldn’t assign him anything except Doctor Who. Of course, the BBC is run differently now, and Moffat won’t have that trouble when he wants to move on. His comments here seem to indicate that he is conscious of the problem of staying too long, but he seems to have too many ideas at the moment, no doubt inspired by Capaldi, that he’s not going to go just yet.
      I just hope that when he does move on from the showrunner position, he’ll still contribute a script to the show every year or so, rather than ceasing writing for the show altogether like RTD did.

10. avatar Neu 75 says:

Never out-stay your welcome. That is pertinent to the makers of Doctor Who as well as its stars. Barry Letts did 5 years and bowed out at the right time, so should Moffat. I think he’s stretched himself too thinly. If he did 2 stories a season rather than 5/6 then we’d get better quality from his pen and chance for other writers to write for the show. You could make a decent case that each of the “best” episodes of ‘Sherlock’ were written by Moffat and that’s telling…

11. avatar Christine says:

I agree with those people that state he really should leave some time in the future, but not just yet. Personally I just hate the bashing part (thankfully usually the opinions are more nuanced on this site) as I also feel he has done an excellent job. Not with all stories – but then find me a writer/show runner who would be able to shine always. Actually he still is doing an excellent job, but change is necessary. Not today ( not yet anyway) but some day in the future. I share the feeling that JNT stayed too long, though that was hardly his fault. And during his term we also saw quite a few good stories too. I for one enjoyed many stories of the 5th, 6th (especially), and 7th Doctors. But no one should ever become a so-called household name of a show. Not of Sherlock but certainly not Doctor Who!

12. Steven Moffat is like the Andy Reid (former coach of the US-based football team, the Philadelphia Eagles. Was coach for 13 yrs before finally let go!) of ‘Doctor Who’. Enough!! Please let him go before he hammers the nails into the show’s coffin!

• avatar Neu 75 says:

Why? Is it dead? Is it off the air? Are we going to have to wait another 16 years for a series?

• avatar Simon Magellan says:

12 million viewers for The Day of the Doctor – no. 1 rated drama of 2013 – suggest it has some way to go before it is anywhere near being “dead”.

• avatar Philip Bates says:

Did you really make a football analogy to Doctor Who fans?! ;P

13. avatar Rupert says:

It was the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who, and he didn’t bring back all of the still-living doctors. In my mind, missing that opportunity is unforgivable. In an interview he said something like the anniversary was not a time to look back at the past, but to look forward to the future. Huh? That’s definitely not my understanding of what the word “Anniversary” means.

I would like to see someone take over the show who doesn’t feel the need to make their personal mark on the show quite as big. Don’t come in and wipe out all of the time lords; don’t come in and turn the coolest spacecraft sound ever into a joke; you’ve been given an amazing sci-fi formula that already works exceptionally well, so be respectful of that and use it with integrity.

Right now, the bottom line for me is that I just don’t enjoy watching the show as it presently is – to the extent that I have actually stopped watching it. I don’t like Moffat’s style. And that’s a shame because I really like Matt Smith. So I am definitely looking forward to Moffat’s departure!

• avatar TimeChaser says:

You’re joking, right? Did you really want to see all the living Doctors looking terribly old and trying hard to fit into their old outfits? You’ve heard of Big Finish? Go listen to their 50th Anniversary special, The Light at the End, if you want all the other Doctors. Don’t complain about them failing to appear on TV when they still got to do something for the 50th.

• avatar Rupert says:

No, I’m not joking. Yes, I really DID want to see those old Doctors! Did you not enjoy the brief glimpse we had of the museum curator? I, for one, would have loved to have seen MUCH more of him – and McGann – and any of the others! It certainly wouldn’t have taken a genius to figure out a perfectly good sci-fi explanation for why their appearance had changed.

I’m curious: If anyone else out there likes the idea of seeing more appearances from past Doctors, please like this comment!

• avatar TimeChaser says:

There’s a difference between being able to tell a good and coherent story with all the Doctors and then just having them in there. So many Doctors would have smothered the story.

I agree, it would have been nice to see more of them. And we did get to see them all, just not as active participants in the story. At this point though, after the fact, it seems silly for people to continue to complain and use it as blame fuel for wanting Moffat gone.

And I reiterate, if you have not listened to The Light at the End, please go do so. It might mitigate some of your frustration at Moffat’s failure.

• avatar Rupert says:

With respect to The Light at The End, I’m sure it’s wonderful but this article and my comment was about Moffat and the TV series.

With respect to your attitude on your comments throughout this page to me and others, where you express how “disgusted” you are at how “silly” other people are and that we shouldn’t complain: it’s OK for us all to have our different OPINIONS – as my comment is clearly worded to be.

And with respect to your back-tracking over the classic Doctors… thank you. :)

14. avatar Tony Sobol says:

I think there’s a question mark over what SM has left that he can do with the show. Three actors cast as the Doctor, four series, the 50th Anniversary, cracking America… he could hand over to a successor in the firm knowledge of a job well done.

15. avatar Rick714 says:

Moffat is a big big big fanboy and I sense that he wants to make his stamp on things at least as much as RTD did. RTD cast Eccleston and Tennant and was at the helm for 5 years. Now the Moff is heading into his 5th year after casting Smith and Capaldi. Aside from JNT who definitely did stay too long, the longest running producer was Barry Letts who was at the helm for 5 years and change as he oversaw the beginning of the Baker years while Hinchcliffe produced with Holmes script editing. I can see the Moff either leaving at the end of series 8 or staying throughout the entirety of Capaldi’s run, however long that is. I’d probably bet on the former though, as I get the feeling that if things go well this next season, that Capaldi is here to stay for a good long run.

16. avatar Geoff says:

On the JNT subject: I think the thing is that he was looking for a new challenge, the show needed a new direction but the boss wouldn’t or couldn’t find some new blood to take over. Let’s not forget JNT was an experienced producer who was very savvy with the purse strings so in the absence of any hot young thing keen to take the show on I can see why they kept him there. Arguably this wasn’t good for the programme eventually and from that point of view alone you could say he shoukd have resigned but JNT was a patrolled employee if the BBC. They were not going to give him another show so resigning would have meant unemployment and all the worry, stressed and hardship that go with it. I can understand entirely why in these circumstances JNT decided to stay and make the best of it, and to his credit he instigated a totally different creative direction in his last few years. I for one really like Colin’s first series but creatively it’s a world away from Sylv’s 2nd or 3rd. Not bad for a man who wanted to move on and was only still in the job because they couldn’t find anyone else with the skills to do it.

• avatar It is the end...... says:

The reason McCoy’s era was so different to Colin Baker’s has more to do with the arrival of Andrew Cartmel as script editor, rather than any creativity on JNT’s behalf. JNT pretty much left his script editors to get on with it regarding stories, and I think only got involved to put the brakes on an idea. This is pretty clear from any interview you see with either Bidmead, Saward, or Cartmel (they often comment on how JNT had little interest in scripts and story ideas). Hence the serious sci-if attempts under Bidmead, the Sweeny-esque Saward efforts, and social/political commentary under Cartmel.

• avatar Geoff says:

Fair point and one I was aware of when I wrote the above comment but I deliberately steered away from the creative input of the script editors and focused on the idea that it was JNT who hired them and was ultimately held responsible for what appeared on screen.However it wasn’t my intention to try and diminish the creative input of those men who all brought some brilliant ideas to the programme themselves.

17. avatar TimeChaser says:

Here’s a thought for all those who talk about JNT staying too long: one reason he did was because Doctor Who was a poison chalice within the BBC. There was no guarantee anyone would take over after he left. If he’d left years earlier and no one wanted it or could be convinced to take it on, what might have the BBC done to the show? I think one reason JNT stayed was that he knew it might not last beyond his departure.

Of course in the end, other factors and people proved to be its downfall, but it could have got the axe so much earlier.

• avatar castellanspandrel says:

Baffled as to why someone’s thumbed you down for this, Chaser, when what you’re saying is pretty much the truth re: JNT, per the recent biography and other sources close to the man.

• avatar TimeChaser says:

Thanks for the support, castellan. :)

• avatar Simon Magellan says:

I once read that the BBC asked around for anyone interested in producing DW after season 26 and Tony Virgo (then producing Eastenders) was up for it – but they didn’t want to lose him from their flagship show. Don’t know how true that is though.

18. I get a little bit tired of hearing this “Moffat lies *WINK*” stuff, like he’s mysterious and unpredictable and he’s got this big convoluted smokescreen constantly going.
    Let’s tell it like it is: “Moffat bullshits”, or “Moffat backtracks”, or even better: “Moffat is winging it”. See? Without the mystery, he’s basically just a writer who sometimes gets it right, and sometimes gets it wrong. Much better.

• avatar castellanspandrel says:

I agree. I cringe whenever he’s called “The Moff.”

• avatar David F says:

By “bullshits” I assume you mean “makes up stories”. It’s the job of every storyteller. All writers are winging it. There’s no other way of creating made-up stories. The only reason we notice it more with him is that, because of the nature of his role, he’s more visible to the media than most writers will ever be.

• avatar Geoff says:

I think you’re there with “Moffat wings it” and why shouldn’t he? He’s a writer, a creative person. He has new ideas and that changes some of his plans so things sometimes appear a bit disjointed but generally I think the creativity compensates for a lapse in continuity and I that’s the way I’d always want it.

19. avatar David F says:

Moffat’s kept the show running, kept it popular and healthy, and overseen some great stuff, some average stuff, and some stuff that’s missed the mark. That’s the most you can say about ANY creative or executive force in Doctor Who’s history. People who bitch about him clearly don’t know much about the history of Doctor Who if they’re unable to recognise the constant, erratic, patchy quality that stretches all the way back to the start, with no exception for any production team.

Doctor Who’s never been about constant brilliance. It’s a show that garners affection because of its distinctive concept, because of its nostalgia, because of the charm it exudes even when going wrong, because of the range of possible stories it can tell, and because you never know when an episode will pop up that’s unexpectedly brilliant.

If production teams are going to keep it going, they have to take risks and play around with the tone in every way possible. That’s its very essence. And so yes, there’s always a chance it’ll misfire. That’s written into it genetic sequence.

I’m currently rewatching Hartnell and Troughton stories, and there’s a lot of dodgy storytelling in there. They’d have received their share of kickings had the internet existed at the time. But watching them is a massive pleasure. They all add to the madcap rambling storyline of the Doctor’s life.

• avatar Philip Bates says:

What a great comment. Completely agree!

20. avatar Howard Railton says:

It is long time Moffat went. It’s not just his giant plot holes, of which the list is endless, it’s also the hopelessly poor writing that ignores events of only a couple of episodes before when Moffat promptly goes and says and does things in his scripts that are completely at odds with anything and whilst trying to be clever and sort of ego-centric, oh look how clever I am, actually end up a pile of contemptible horse dung. Moffat’s stories have become farcically weak. His ‘take’ on the show has denigrated the central character of the Doctor and is ruining the show generally. It stems ironically from a lack of real imaginative vision, in my view. With Moffat you know he’s fixated on a few simplistic ideas, that crop up every Moffat season with boring regularity. Here are a few of the obvious ones:

1) he has to marry everyone off, even though it’s completely stupid, irrelevant and largely not what audiences turn to Dr Who for.

2) he has to kill off people and have them come back alive again with ludicrously little explanation or real import. This rather deranged idea denigrates a theme that should be of great importance, trivialising what in real life is the great leveller and finality of finite existence and suggesting something rather dangerous to naïve young audiences.

3) making the monsters appear as cameos has the effect of creating a great sense of dissatisfaction with the overall product. It’s ok as an idea occasionally, but if you get it too often then again it makes plots suffer. Time of the Doctor comes across as particularly diffuse because the threat is scattered across every silly cameo rather than actually delivering a proper story around one enemy alien.

4) Moffat insists on putting in salacious innuendo that’s misplaced and generally wrong for the whole tone of the show.

5) making stories shorter to the point that there’s always a load of padding now in most Moffat episodes that could easily be dropped in favour of actually developing the main plot, something that Moffat avoids as much as he can. For example, what is the point of all that returning to a boring life that Moffat insists on making the assistants do in ever ruddy episode now, it’s particularly grating when there’s little actual time in each episode to truly develop the plot only to then have Moffat waste so much of each episode on pointless throwaway scenes every week, often for some misplaced comedy reason that fails to get a laugh. In short, he can’t sustain a coherent narrative.

6) Moffat’s plot holes are legendary and ludicrously laughable. He seldom attempts an explanation and, even if an explanation does show up some 3 years later, by then it is far too late as no one cares and the audience has moved on in their lives already!

7) lack of characterisation.

Taking into account these points, it feels as though Moffat’s just not that interested in doing his job properly. IMO, he needs a kick up the backside for such laziness.

• avatar Neu 75 says:

I suppose with such succinct analysis, you’d be prepared to step in when the chance comes and save Doctor Who from itself? I think you should contact the BBC IMMEDIATELY and let them know that they are making a serious mistake in keeping Moffat on and that YOU and ONLY YOU should take the call and lead the show into a glorious period of creative dominance in which there are absolutely no plot holes whatsoever, where characterisation is played up to the max, there is no innuendo and everybody dies! Including the Doctor as he seems to cheat death as well and on several occasions.

Come back and tell us how you did when the echoes of their laughter have died down in your head…

• avatar Geoff says:

I do agree with a fair few of yout points and most of what you say is factual observation. What you have described is largely his style, the slant he has put on the show. I appreciate you made these points because these things, this style grates with you but a lot of people do seem to like it! I find some of it tiresome, the innuendo and focus on dropping companions off to name but two but generally I quite like the over all shape and feel of the shoe under Mr Moffat, and you can’t deny he casts a good Doctor!