Doctor Who News 20140219-155853.jpg

Published on February 19th, 2014 | by Nick Kitchen

Karen Gillan’s Selfie!

American fans of Amy Pond, it is time to rejoice! The Girl Who Waited is set to make a return to American television this fall.

Former Doctor Who actress, Karen Gillan, has signed on to star in an upcoming ABC comedy pilot, Selfie, from the creator of Suburgatory, Emily Kapnek. Gillan will play the lead role of Eliza Dooley, who is described as a “self-obsessed, 20-something woman who is more concerned with ‘likes’ than being liked.”

The show will follow Dooley as she attempts to recover her image after going viral for the wrong reasons:

“After suffering a very public and humiliating breakup, Eliza becomes the subject of a viral video and suddenly has more social media “followers” than she ever imagined –but for all the wrong reasons. So, she enlists the help of a marketing expert at her company to help repair her tarnished image.”

It definitely sounds like an interesting concept and should do well for the network, which is known for its quirky comedies. Of course, this is all contingent on Selfie surviving the pilot season and getting a full season order (no small feat with new pilots on this side of the pond). If you couple this with her upcoming role in Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy, 2014 could turn out to be a banner year for Karen.

Are you ready to check out Selfie if it makes it to TV this fall?

(via MSN TV)

Tags: ,

“That’s bacon! Are you trying to poison me?” And from that line on, I’ve been unable to stop watching, reading, musing about the Doctor. As a recent transplant to the Whoniverse, I’ve been trying to soak up as much Who-related knowledge as possible. That journey has taken me from the Tenth Planet to the Fields of Trenzalore and gently set me at the edge of my seat for what’s next. It’s an honor to be here and I plan to bring a unique perspective. I hope you’ll enjoy the journey alongside me.

8 Responses to Karen Gillan’s Selfie!

1. STLShawn says:

I would love to see a selfie of Karen Gillan, err,,, ummm,,, I mean,,,, it sounds wonderful

2. rickjlundeen says:

The incident that mistakenly causes her damage should be her drunkenly ending up in a hotel hallway naked in the middle of the night. It would certainly be believable! :)

• mrjohnm says:

rickjlundeen, is there a story here I don’t know about? Just asking!

• TonyS says:

I think Rickjlundeen has pretty much summed up the alleged incident already. It is not more interesting than that.

3. mrjohnm says:

Honestly, the concept doesn’t sound too interesting to me, but that may be that, as a teacher, I’m faced with the ‘emotional’ damage social media sites can do to teenagers on a regular basis. However, I do wish Karen well and would like to see her succeed in shows outside of Dr. Who.

My only question now is why are talented British actors trying to get a series here in the U.S.? The drama coming from BBC is of such a high quality right now, especially when compared to all the ‘reality’ shows American networks offer, that I would think the actors would want to stay right where they are. Regardless, we have David filming an American version of “Broad Church” (which I believe isn’t needed as the original version proved so popular over here) even after his attempt at a law drama failed. And now Karen? Seems to me they’re trying to be the next Hugh Laurie when they could be just as popular here by filming British drama in the U.K.

Sorry about the rant!

• Jim Parsons says:

Good point Mr JohnM, but the trouble is there isn’t that much drama to around here in the UK. We suffer from an endless supply of cookery, house buying, talent contest shows but although we do have some good drama and the odd good comedy you are probably seeing pretty much all of it. The amount of actors here far outweigh the amount of jobs so they go where the work is.

• For some reason, a lot of actors seem to think that America is “where it’s at”.

I suspect they’re seduced by that Hollywood glamour. Unfortunately it means that British and European cinema – and American independent cinema, largely – loses out.

4. Val says:

Sounds like an updated version of My Fair Lady. “Eliza Dooly”? Really?