Doctor Who News Straczynski

Published on January 21st, 2014 | by Philip Bates

Straczynski Wants to Write Who!

Babylon 5 creator, J. Michael Straczynski, wants to write an episode of Doctor Who (well, who doesn’t?!) – and even knows what story he’d tell!

The BAFTA-nominated scribe is keeping all the details to himself, however, saying:

“I would love to write a Doctor Who episode someday; I’m a huge fan. I’m curious to see how the new guy [Peter Capaldi] does, I love what Matt Smith is doing so I’ll give the new guy benefit of the doubt. I do know what [my] story would be. But honestly? Steven Moffat is doing such a great job on that show. That and Sherlock, the writing that this guy does is so far beyond the pale. We need to kill him as soon as possible to stop looking bad by comparison. I do know what it is but I’m not going to tell you.”

Straczynski is prolific, having written 92 of the 110 Babylon 5 episodes (including an unbroken 59 episode run), as well as animation, film and comics (Thor and Superman: Earth One). He’s also released a Screenwriting 101 book, The Complete Book of Scriptwriting, as well as the 2001-07 run on The Amazing Spider-Man with artists, John Romita Jr. and Mike Deodato Jr. - which I can’t recommend highly enough!

Seriously. It’s good. Properly good.

Would you like to see an episode written by Straczynski? Or would spelling his name just get on your nerves? (It’s easy once you get the hang of it.)

(Via Bleeding Cool.)

Tags: , , , , ,

12 Responses to Straczynski Wants to Write Who!

1. avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

To be honest, I’ve never heard of the guy and never really watched Babylon 5, but my father loved that show when it was on and he is the one that got me into Who in the first place so I am all for it! New blood is what Doctor Who thrives upon – we wouldn’t be here more than 50 years later otherwise!

2. avatar TimeChaser says:

I loved Babylon 5. I wouldn’t mind seeing JS write an episode. JS, Joss Whedon, anyone who wrote for Farscape… I’d love to see writers of some of my favorite scifi/cult shows write for Who.

3. Oh yes that would be a good one. JMS did a great job as head guy of Babylon 5 and if he says he has a great story planned then I believe he doe’s

4. avatar bonobobananas says:

Yikes! Yes please!! I’m a new convert to Babylon 5 and I must say the writing is fantastic. MS (won’t be trying to spell the surname) is more than welcome aboard :)

• (won’t be trying to spell the surname)

You could just copy and paste…

5. avatar rickjlundeen says:

I’m hot and cold on him. He had an excellent stretch on spider-man and then a horrible stretch. Never got into B5 as I liked DS9. Liked his Thor, but so-so on the FF. No idea if he has the goods for DW. Some people are a great fit for the show, others not so much.

6. avatar Rupert says:

That guy is a sci-fi genius. It would be amazing to have him write an episode of Doctor Who! Yes, please!!

7. avatar Tony Sobol says:

TBH, I can’t be doing with Straczynski after his prominent involvement in the Before Watchmen debacle…

8. avatar Keyser says:

Ugh, His Spider-Man run started ok and then turned to crap when he did the Gwen Stacy/Norman Osborn story point that upset me and most Spider-Man fans and I’ve loathed him since.

9. avatar Ranger says:

I’m a great fan of Bab5, but don’t know any of his other work. I would be interested in seeing what he could do for DW, but also a touch concerned, American Sci-Fi and British Sci-Fi are two different things, both excellent, but I’m not sure that one style being translated to the other would necessarily work.

10. avatar Londo says:

All I would say about JMS, is a lot of his interest in sci fi was a result of him watching British SciFi, blakes 7, quatermass and of course the doctor..so i think he would adapt rather well..

11. Pingback: Doctor Who: Radio Free Skaro » Blog Archive » Radio Free Skaro #403 – Fluid Links