Doctor Who News Steven Moffat and a Dalek

Published on January 10th, 2014 | by Andrew Reynolds

Moffat Confirms No Splits and Series 9 in 2015

Reaffirming last year’s edict that no Doctor Who series should be torn asunder, Steven Moffat has been just as frugal with the news as well – both stating that there will be a Series 9 in 2015 (like it was ever in any doubt) and that it too will be a full run.

Commenting in DWM, Moffat said:

“We’re not going to do splits (for series 8), and the same format will repeat exactly the following year like that. So it will be the traditional form.”

So it looks as though Doctor Who will be making the autumn months its permanent home with Series 8, rumoured to be airing over August/September, the Christmas Special on Christmas Day and then, to speculate further, back again in autumn 2015 for Series 9.

While the splits were an interesting and, if rumours are true, necessary experiment, a concentrated run of episodes always worked better; the cliffhangers didn’t leave you ‘hanging’ around too much, there’s more room for stories to breathe and develop because the pay-off isn’t months away; meaning more compact, concise episodes  (and the return of the two-parter) and, if nothing else, it reaffirms the audiences faith in the show by – again, according to rumours – airing it against the Bank Holiday banshee that is The X Factor.

So are you happy that the spilt is no more? Did you enjoy having Doctor Who back on our screens only a few months after Christmas? Do full runs work better?

Tags: , , , , , ,

15 Responses to Moffat Confirms No Splits and Series 9 in 2015

1. avatar Patrick says:

Full runs always work better in my opinion. As an American Whovian who loves a lot of shows on USA Network, the split season format they run, in order to compete with the networks is really frustrating because just as you start to really get into the run it disappears.

I also wish that Doctor Who could run American Length seasons… 20-23 episodes of Doctor Who a year… YES PLEASE!!!

• avatar Colin says:

The trouble with trying to do US-length seasons is that in the US, most comparable series have a team of script writers, and a much larger budget (and perhaps the backing of a major motion picture studio), which means they can get a lot done in a short amount of time. Right now, with current budget and resources, it takes 9 months to make 13 episodes of Who. I agree it would be wonderful to have more Who, but I can’t see it happening. BBC budgets–even big ones–don’t allow for that. Think–how many UK series (non-soap) do you know that run for more than 13 episodes a year? I believe budget is a big reason for that.

2. avatar Taz says:

You keep doing whatever you believe is right Moffat. Let the complaining beginning…Moffat has spoken people, time to yell at him again….ungrateful “Whovians” unite!!!!!!!

3. avatar TonyS says:

what rumours?

• Probably those concerning late scripts and a distraction called “Sherlock”…

• avatar TonyS says:

I managed to avoid hearing those rumours

• avatar STLShawn says:

Why can’t the Moff delegate??? Russell “the” Davies managed to spin quite a few plates by giving the sticks to other people that he trusted.

4. avatar TonyS says:

I read a report earlier that Mr Moff had wanted to pay homage to Peter Cushing’s Doctor in the Special. It goes a long way to restoring my faith in the man. On recent evidence I am happy to trust Mr Moff to deliver the goods.

5. avatar DonnaM says:

Delighted the BBC have seen the light about the splits, and as a child of the 1970s thrilled the show’s returning to an autumn airdate. Dark evenings after dinner, wind and rain against the windows and some properly scary Doctor Who on the telly… that’s my idea of a perfect night!

All I need now is confirmation that Mr Capaldi will be staying for Series 9 (and hopefully 10 as well) and I will be perfectly happy. Everything Moffat has said about the way they’re taking the show so far (as gleaned from the interweb, my local shops are backwaters that don’t sell DWM, damn them!) sounds fantastic.

• avatar STLShawn says:

I completely agree with you Donna,,,, Good scares on a dark cold evening :-)

6. avatar Geoff says:

Very happy with this. There’s been too much dicking around with the format since the year of specials in 2009 in my view.
    That said I did quite like Doctor Who popping up in spring and then again in autumn but I didn’t like the 6 week runtimes which are an unavoidable consequence short of us demanding the production team and actors work every minute of every day to bring us more Who….now I know Steven Moffat loves the show but I can understand why he doesn’t want to do that!
    Like many others I believe the Autumn schedule is the rightful place of Doctor Who, it’s a magical, creepy dark evening programme. If you don’t believe me try watching Terror of the Zygons on a bright July afternoon…it’s still fun but much less atmospheric.

7. avatar dr jon says:

I’m so pleased that we have a full run of episodes at the right time of year. The darker nights always bring in the viewers,and with a full 13 episodes we will get a better flow with the story’s and also an Xmas episode which will most likely be an hour long at least with a cliffhanger leading into series nine.

8. avatar Francis Cave says:

I had no problem with the splits provided both parts were broadcast were in the same year which of course wasn’t the case for series 7!

Anyway, who knows why that series was stretched over two years but lets just be thankful for at least two consecutive years we will be getting full series.

Full steam ahead!

9. avatar Ardwen says:

Yeah. It doesnt matter what the Doctor Who announcement is, someone’s gonna yell. They could say that Capaldi will regenerate into Tom Baker and people would complain.

Your post made me laugh. Thanks, I needed a pick me up today!

10. The split series weren’t the problem. It was splitting the one series into two and spreading them over two years that was the problem. Best the do them all in one go! Thank you.