Doctor Who 5154369-low-doctor-who

Published on January 9th, 2014 | by Alex Skerratt

Should Matt Smith Have Stayed On Doctor Who? [POLL]

It can never be easy for a Time Lord to hang up his (or her!) TARDIS keys, and the Eleventh Doctor is no exception.

In a recent interview on the upcoming The Time of the Doctor DVD, Matt Smith reveals he had second thoughts about his regeneration…

Part of me genuinely feels that I sort of wish [me and Jenna] had another go at it, another year because, I feel we have really come on and sort of evolved.

We have had a good time making it. It’s been really fun.

However, Jenna Coleman’s views on the matter are clear: “You dumped me…!” she jokes.

You can catch these interviews, (along with all the Eleventh Doctor Christmas specials), on the forthcoming The Time of the Doctor DVD, which is out in the UK on the 2oth January.

What do you think? Would you have liked to see Matt Smith stay on the show another year? Vote now, and share your thoughts below.

Tags: , , , , ,

15 Responses to Should Matt Smith Have Stayed On Doctor Who? [POLL]

1. avatar Victor says:

It’s an odd one; even though he’s more or less been in the same number of stories as Tennant, it doesn’t feel like he’s had as long a run. I assumed he’d do one more series before going, and wanted him too, but of course as soon as it’s announced there’ll be a shiny NEW Doctor, you can’t help but want to get on with it.

2. avatar Geoff says:

Spot on Victor.
    I hope it’s the right move for his career and that he does really well. But really whatever we say is all by the by, he’s gone and that’s it.

3. avatar DonnaM says:

To be honest if there were any doubts in his mind at all, it was probably time to walk away. Filming the series for 8/9 months a year, plus all the extras that go with being the Doctor…. that’s got to take 100% certainty.

Matt and the show have been very good for each other and I’m sure his career will go from strength to strength, but I for one am far more excited about seeing what Peter does with the part than I am sorry to see Matt go.

4. avatar Ian Gettings says:

I don’t get the Capaldi love – yet. For me, it’s a big risk. Hopefully will change my mind – after all, four years ago I thought the same about the casting of some weird looking whipper-snapper. :)

• avatar DonnaM says:

In my case, I’m excited because a superb actor whose work I’ve admired for many years is getting the best part (providing the writers do their job properly!) in television. It should be a recipe for brilliance and I will be blaming The Moff if it doesn’t pan out that way!

And I say that as (generally) an admirer of his work too.

• avatar Robert Kent says:

He has a one year contract. They can replace him if it doesn’t work out.

5. avatar drewboynton says:

I wish he’d have stayed maybe another half series or so…it just feels like he’s leaving too soon. It just seems like #11 needed more time with Clara and Matt needed more time riding the show’s current wave of international popularity. If he’d have stayed a little while longer, it would have also given Moffat a better amount of time to wrap things up and do Trenzalore properly, rather than try to shoe-horn everything awkwardly into the Christmas special.

6. avatar TimeChaser says:

Of course I would have loved to see Matt do one more season. But having the end of the Time War finally dealt with, and with this being the 50th Anniversary year, it felt like the right time to progress the show by dealing with the regeneration limit and introduce a new Doctor.

7. avatar Ian says:

No, it was time for him to go. The 11th Doctor’s character devolved into a weird, unfunny caricature from his second season onwards and seemed unlikely to change. We’d seen everything he had to give. Time for a change.

• avatar Geoff says:

I don’t entirely agree but I can see where you’re coming from with that. I think Matts second series suffered from too much River Song and her story arc and too much interweaving complexity. The show is called Doctor Who, not : Middle aged woman who’s supposed to be sexy.
      What he really needed was a series of great straightforward adventure stories to show off his Doctor. That’s what he got last year and like in his first year he shined though. I’d have loved to se another year of adventures from Matt, free from River and Amy etc which ended up as just baggage in my view but I can see why as an actor he would want to go out at the end of the biggest year the show has ever had.

8. avatar dr jon says:

I would have liked matt to have stayed for one more season, in a full run and not a broken in two half season. I think it would have been a better send off for him,and a a more memorial one.

9. avatar mrjohnm says:

This is actually a tough call. I voted yes, but at the same time I am excited about Peter’s casting. Another season could have been used to resolve the Trenzalore storyline without the rushed feel of the Christmas special. And yes there is some irony to the storyline feeling rushed as the Doctor just hung around a besieged town for so long!

10. avatar Joyce says:

He’s been a good Doctor who should have been a great Doctor but was somewhat let down by the showrunner. So, it’s been sad he’s had such weak material (not all, admittedly) so now it’s time for Capaldi and a new start.

11. avatar koloth says:

I agree Joyce. I may have enjoyed Matt if he had a few better stories.

12. avatar Geoff says:

That’s a theme that’s coming through most of our comments. I think Steven Moffat picked up on that to some extent too (not that he could ever say so obviously!) hence that back to basics approach of the last year.