Doctor Who News 4961313-low-the-musketeers

Published on January 28th, 2014 | by Jonathan Appleton

Jason Flemyng: Capaldi “Will Be Amazing”

Actor Jason Flemyng has predicted that new Doctor Peter Capaldi will ‘smash it’ and will be ‘amazing’ in the role.

Flemyng this week made a guest appearance in BBC1 drama The Musketeers, the series Capaldi was filming when he got the news that he was to become the next Doctor. And it turns out Flemyng has form when it comes to appearing alongside new Doctors:

“That was quite surprising when he got the Doctor Who gig while we were in the middle of it. When I did The Quatermass Experiment, David Tennant came in one morning and was Doctor Who as well so it seems to be something strange, like I’m a lucky (charm). Always the bridesmaid, never the bride.”

Jason Flemyng has a family connection with the programme as his father Gordon directed the two feature films of the 1960s, and has obviously taken a keen interest over the years. He makes clear the high regard he has for the post-2005 Doctors:

“In the modern Doctor Who, they’ve never cast an OK actor. Every single time, the actor’s been sublime and talented, and that, plus the fact it’s a good role, has turned Doctor Who into a great character.”

Flemyng recently auditioned for the upcoming Star Wars film, as did, reportedly, Eleventh Doctor, Matt Smith. Catch Capaldi and Flemyng in the latest episode of The Musketeers on BBC iPlayer.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

has watched Doctor Who since those great big spiders did for Jon Pertwee, and it's way too late to stop now. When he's not at his job working for a charity in Hull he spends his time following Hull City's fortunes, listening to Bruce Springsteen and wondering why it took thirty years too long for Doctor Who action figures to come along. Favourite stories include the one with the mummies, the one with Mr Sin and the one with the Mona Lisa. Currently listening to: The Fifth Doctor Box Set. By, it were a crowded old TARDIS in them days...

7 Responses to Jason Flemyng: Capaldi “Will Be Amazing”

1. avatar Simon Magellan says:

When the Quatermass Experiment was broadcast live, Flemyng had to greet Tennant’s character (Dr Gordon Briscoe) as “Hello, Gordon, nice to have you back” but changed this to “Hello, Doctor, nice to have you back” – I have always wondered if the “ginger” joke that Tennant makes in his debut is a reference to Flemyng, who has not made a secret of his desire to play the part.

2. avatar Geoff says:

Jason Flemyng is a fine actor himself and if the DVD documentary I saw is correct is also proud of his link to Doctor Who via his father, but he’s wrong about one thing in my view: all of the actors to play The Doctor have been charismatic and excellent in their own way, including the one directed by his father namely the actually very kind and gentle Peter Cushing. None of them have just been ok actors in my view!

3. avatar Ian says:

So, what, there were “OK” actors cast in the original series?

Typical NuHu aggrandising bollocks.

4. avatar DonnaM says:

I’m sure he’s right, PC’s an amazing actor who will do a superb job. I’m personally not sure I’d class some of the 1980s leading men as highly, certainly. Capable, competent, even good – but not sublimely talented, which seems to be Mr Flemyng’s own individual (unrelated to NuWho) opinion of Messers Eccleston, Tennant, Smith and Capaldi!

Still, we all see things differently!

• avatar TonyS says:

Peter Davison was a character actor who had not been out of work up to that point. He played (before, during and after Who) a wide range of roles. Colin Baker also was a very talented actor with a wide repertoire. Sylvester McCoy was less well known as an actor when he landed the role but has since shown himself a fine actor. All three suffered with wildly inconsistent standards of writing, direction etc. But that is no comment on their acting. I think the problem may lie with Jason Flemyng’s assessment. “Sublimely talented” is a very high benchmark.

5. avatar dr jon says:

Well I think the first 5 doctors were very good and fine actors to play the part of the dr. And I think poor Colin baker would have been a great Dr if the BBC had given him chance to evolve and stopped giving him naff story’s with little or no money put into the series. The same goes for Sylvester and given the lack of airtime for the 8th Dr ,who would have been a great time Lord in the missing years of Dr who. And since the 2005 comeback I can’t think of any Dr who were not giving it their all in the role. And I’m sure capaldi will put everything into the role and make it his own and will be a great Dr also.

6. avatar Ranger says:

I think the last series of the classic who showed exactly what Sylv could do with a decent story – he was brilliant. He, Tom and Tennant are my favourite Doctors, but all the actors have been superbly good in the role.