Doctor Who News Peter Capaldi is the twelfth Doctor Who

Published on January 29th, 2014 | by Jonathan Appleton

Hey Cosplayers – Capaldi’s Doctor Who Outfit In Detail!

Yes, you too can dress just like the new Doctor! But it’ll set you back over a grand in Earth money…

Journalists have helpfully (if inevitably) costed Peter Capaldi’s new get-up as the Twelfth Doctor, and it turns out that such sartorial elegance doesn’t come cheap.

The most pricey item is the three-quarter length Crombie coat (slim fit version, style fans) at a whopping £795. If that’s too steep for your pocket, try Topman for a more reasonable similar one at £150.

The rest of the outfit is likely to set you back £150 for the cardigan, £29.99 for the shirt, £110 for the trousers and a round £100 for the boots. (Hands up if you can now hear your Dad saying “£150 for a cardigan?”)

Peter Capaldi as the Doctor!

Click image for hires detail!

Resourceful Doctor Who fans who enjoy their cosplay will, of course, find much more economical ways to dress as the next Doctor.

Share your tips on how to put together a stylish yet affordable version of the Doctor’s new outfit below!

Tags: , , , , ,

Jonathan remembers catching Tony Hughes's Doctor in BBC Schools Maths show when he was off school in 1975. This more than made up for having chickenpox. Something of an old hand by this time, he had learned from The Doctor Who Monster Book that there were other Doctors and adventures to discover - an exciting prospect for a five year old.

13 Responses to Hey Cosplayers – Capaldi’s Doctor Who Outfit In Detail!

1. Ryan says:

If the Doctor understood money, he’d be ashamed at what his outfits cost. “Crombie coats are coo….sorry, how much?!”

2. Chris says:

But what kind of Doc Martens are they so I can order them?

3. TimeChaser says:

Would the Doctor really need to spend money on clothes? Besides the outfits he’s snatched from hospitals (three times by now), I imagine the TARDIS can conjure up anything he needs via the good old conceptual geometer.

• mrjohnm says:

Except that if the clothes he’s wearing are really just 3D holograms that only certain people can see, wouldn’t he get cold?

4. Rick714 says:

lol—totally forgot that he stole hospital clothes 3 times! Pertwee, McGann and Smith. That’s hilarious!

• mrjohnm says:

To be fair, McGann’s Doctor didn’t actually steal hospital clothes; he stole a costume that a hospital employee was planning to wear at a New Year’s Eve party. But your point is valid. What does the Doctor’s stealing clothes tell our younger generation? (read that question with some humor!)

5. Christine says:

Guess I’ll stick to my various Dalek outfits….

6. James Lomond says:

Hmm. Except that that isn’t the jacket Capaldi is wearing. Pockets and collar are entirely different. I don’t cosplay but be reassuring to know whether BBC Cardiff’s costume department was able to get a better deal than near £800! Thinking of the tax payer here ;) Love the costume overall – kinda Pertwee-meets-Tim Burton. Nice creepy “slender man”/ Silents sorta silouhette :)

7. Jim Parsons says:

That Metro link has it all wrong. As the above points out, the jacket isnt the same, they’re not Doctor Martens and the trousers are certainly not straight pleated. Also it shows a picture of Matt Smith and says that he was more modern while he’s dressed in his most Victorian garb. Capaldi is more like a very well dressed mod, and he looks damned cool for it.

8. DonnaM says:

Blow the cost – the more I see it, the better I like it! And for the publicity Crombie are getting, they should be paying the BBC to keep Capaldi in their stuff as long as possible :-)

9. John Miller says:

I’ve never understood “cosplaying”. I’ve been a Doctor Who fan most of my life, and the only time I’ve ever dressed like a Doctor was totally unintentionally dressing like the Dark Eyes era Eighth Doctor or the Ninth Doctor, before those outfits existed. Maybe it’s an age thing, but back when this was all trees etc. the idea of dressing up like a character from Doctor Who would get you mercilessly ridiculed…by other Doctor Who fans. People went to conventions dressed the same way they would if they were just hanging out or going to a club. Dressing like a Dalek or whatever was totally unheard of.

I’m sure I’ll enjoy Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth Doctor. I’ll probably steal quotes of his for real-life use. But I have no intention of ever trying to dress up like him, and I honestly can’t understand the mindset of anyone who would.

10. TonyS says:

Is cosplay what we used to call dressing up?

11. Tia says:

The boots are actually Loake brand boots, made in England…

expensive shoes.. :(