Published on January 6th, 2014 | by Christian Cawley

How Fans Reacted To The 13 Doctors Saving Gallifrey [VIDEO]

Probably the highlight of 2013 for most Doctor Who fans was The Day of the Doctor, in which we got to know a new incarnation and see the return of the Tenth Doctor, played of course by David Tennant.

Yet while John Hurt, David Tennant and Matt Smith were hogging the limelight, it was the surprise appearance of all previous incarnations AND THE NEXT that set pulses racing (confession time, Kasterborites: I almost broke my wife’s hand I was squeezing so tightly!)

The video above is an excellent compilation of various reactions of THAT moment from across YouTube, and it is well worth taking the time to watch it.

But, wait, dear reader: how did YOU react? Tell us in the comments!

(Via @JohnGuilor)

Tags: , ,

34 Responses to How Fans Reacted To The 13 Doctors Saving Gallifrey [VIDEO]

1. avatar Ian Gettings says:

Ha ha – love moments like these. Grateful to all those who made this last year possible from Tranter, RTD, onwards

2. avatar DonnaM says:

Yep, my reaction was pretty much the same; although I must confess the idea of filming myself staring at the television is not one that has ever entered my mind…

So glad Mr Moffat kept up the pretence that “oh, no, there are no Classic Series Doctors in the episode in any way, shape or form!”

And it’s nice to see the young ‘uns cheering both the Old Guard and the new arrival so enthusiastically!

3. avatar JIm says:

Awesome. Love the apparently unfiltered and non-cynical joy.

4. avatar Al says:

I love these reaction videos. This and the reaction to Capaldi’s first scene make me confident that he’ll be fine with fans.

5. avatar sbendrix says:

I was pointing out to my wife that, unlike Mrs. Kasterborous, SHE did not have her hand squeezed impossibly hard when the 13 Doctors appeared. She pointed out that I was too busy crying.

6. avatar Ian says:

So they filmed themselves while watching it? I think these have been done after November 23rd, nice bit of drama ;o)

7. avatar rickjlundeen says:

They pretty much nailed my reaction, first with Hartnell and especially Capaldi. That was maybe the ultimate jaw drop. The above reactions actually brought tears to my eyes. Such joy and yeah, I could definitely see some folks taping themselves watching just for giggles.

8. avatar francis cave says:

I must be getting old, my only thought at the time was “bit daft to use two different clips of McCoy eight years apart”!

9. avatar castellanspandrel says:

I agree with Francis about the McCoy clips being different – that jarred for me, unless they’re telling us that two different 7th Drs – i.e. one from either end of the 7th Dr’s timestream – were helping out?

Otherwise, I love this moment. I watched it on a huge screen at the Excel 50th event on 23rd Novemeber, simultaneous with the BBC broadcast, with several hundred fans. There was an audible gasp from the crowd – and I think applause – when Capaldi appeared. There was a real ‘hairs standing up on the back of your neck’ gasp later, too – a ‘can it be?’ moment – when the back of Tom Baker’s head appeared onscreen.

10. avatar Mark Langdon says:

In the words of DI Greg Lestrade: “Bollocks!”

• avatar castellanspandrel says:

Er, why?

• avatar castellanspandrel says:

Admittedly, I ask that without having watched the video.

• I thought he was called Geoff. Or Gavin?

• avatar KiwiClara says:

Graham?

11. avatar Christine says:

Just pleased nobody was filming me at the time. Actually, we were all just as bad (or good, depending on whether or not being a fan is quaint or fantastic) with quite a few yells all around!

• avatar Isabella says:

Trust me. It is a very good thing. (;

12. avatar dr jon says:

I was really pleased when all the dr’s turned up at the end but I think filming your own reaction is just a bit over the top.

13. avatar castellanspandrel says:

It is daft that people film themselves watching telly. It smacks of “Look at me, everybody, having a great time”, rather than genuinely having a great time. Or should that be ‘an awesome time’, using the current cringeworthy vernacular?

• avatar castellanspandrel says:

*pulls sex face*

14. avatar Isabella says:

I was at my friends place coz they were having a party and I think I chewed her pillows into smithereens. I regret soooo much not filming myself now.

15. avatar David F says:

This video is fascinating. I have never (since I was a child) watched Doctor Who with another person. Every time I’ve seen an episode of the revived series, it’s been just me, alone in a room. And I spend a lot of time on forums, where opinions are processed and considered (and often negative), and there’s no sense of the visceral joy people might experience when watching it.

It’s great to be given a sense of how other people react.

16. avatar TimeChaser says:

I didn’t jump around screaming, but I was definitely very “OMG” about the Capaldi cameo. I was watching with my mom and I was like “It.. that was.. did you see… Aaaah!”

17. avatar John WS says:

Would’ve been far more interesting to see them using the moment.

18. avatar adrenalline3011 says:

best bit: “oh for god sake, Gallifrey Stands!!!”

19. avatar Army Whovian says:

It was a struggle for me, bc my roommate was sleeping and there were several times I wanted to tell/cheer/shout for joy

20. avatar The Mad Professor says:

I pretty much lost it at that point. The only way it could’ve been better is if I’d been watching with my old Whovian club (shoutout to the Archons of Albuquerque if you’re still around after all these years)

21. avatar noelle says:

I was fortunate to watch at the Excel Screening, and the entire theater erupted!!! It was awesome!

22. avatar Eefje meesters says:

My reaction looked very much like the 2girls at the start of the video. Execpt there was a lot more screaming to my husband o my god, did you see that! My husband being a non whovian at this moment, was trying to calm me down. Hahahahaha

23. avatar KiwiClara says:

I watched it at the cinema in a rather conservative town, but there were definitely tears, screams, and clapping from me at the Capaldi moment!

24. avatar Emily says:

I watched it at home with my brother and we were both pretty much silent with amazed looks on our faces laying down on the lounges. As soon as Capaldi appeared We both at the same moment shot up and yelled “Capaldi!”

25. avatar ChosenChaos says:

I… may have squee’d a little. But I was watching in a packed cinema, and I was FAR from the only person doing so. :)

26. avatar Brandi West says:

when i saw all thirteen doctors i think i couldve have been declared leagal insane for about 10 min i kinda lost my mind but in a good way moffat out did himself seriously

27. avatar UncleIgmar says:

Loved it – maybe there’s one for when Tom Baker showed up at the end????

28. avatar Skylab says:

Yep, that pretty much summarizes how I was feeling, including the screams. Such an intense moment in television history.