Doctor Who News Doctor Who Number 12: Peter Capaldi

Published on January 31st, 2014 | by Andrew Reynolds

First it was speculation about the new face, then the new threads and now finally, new episodes – albeit with not so much a pinch of salt, more a giant flaming comet of salt hurtling towards us through the dark recesses of space direct from the planet Spurious.

Quoting the oft misunderstood work of the ‘insider source’ who’s knowledge and wisdom are match only by his total transparency, Comic Book Movie have what appears to be a (very) provisional and quite possibly spoilery rundown of potential episodes  taken from the Doctor Who Anniversary Zone site.

The list, which contains a number of titles and one line synopsis, is as follows:

[spoiler class="my-custom-spoiler"]

8.1 ‘The Twelfth Keeper’

The  Doctor Battles the clockwork droids in Victorian England whilst also  uncovering the truth behind ‘Jack the Ripper’. Whilst Clara meets a very  familiar face.

8.2 ‘Across the Stars’

On a scientific way  station in the year 3056 Clara and the Doctor uncover a DNA experiment that’s  about to go very wrong.

8.3 (Unknown)

8.4 ‘TBA’

Said to  revolve around the assassination of JFK

8.5 ‘The Cult of Ra’

An  Egyptian set episode

8.6 (Unknown)

8.7 (Unknown)

8.8  (Unknown)

8.9 ‘TBA’

Said to be set on a forest world. Maybe  the River song episode

8.10 ‘The  Ghosts of Pompeii’

The Doctor and Clara travel to Pompeii to try and solve the mystery of his latest  incarnation. The episode sees the return of the Pyrovile and fan favourite who  appears in a cameo.

8.11 ‘TBA’

The Doctors quest to find Gallifrey is over.

8.12  ‘Master and Commander (rumoured)’

The return of the Master and consequently the Time Lords. Its believed the Master is now the president and will be played by esteemed British actor Charles Dance.

The problem with the list – apart from its lack of confirmation – is that it’s a little too neat; with ideas assembled entire on premises that sound like other Doctor Who episodes or old Moffat tropes that seemed unlikely to make a return, such as: River Song and a forest, Clockwork droids, a base under siege, and a mystery involving Egypt (oh for a Holmes/Hinchcliffe gothic horror episode with Capaldi the Conjuror).

Even the structure, in this the series that promises to tear up the rulebook and stomp on it with its shiny Doc Martens, recalls those of Russell T Davies – a much looser, less arch-heavy narrative with the penultimate episode leading directly into the events of the last without being a concluding part to that story.

Also, although Moffat supposedly addresses the issue of just why the Twelfth Doctor resembles Lucius Caecilius Iucundus from The Fires of Pompeii, it seems unlikely that a whole episode would be devoted to that strand; unless, and this is utter speculation on my part, the Time Lords life-giving regeneration of the Doctor somehow drew on the cataclysmic events of Pompeii – as if all those potential lives lost were some sort of deficit that only the Time Lords (yes, even perhaps a dastardly scheme by the Master, again up to his body snatching ways) could draw on.

Regardless of the validity of these episodes, there is certainly a lot to think about here – and as set photos have revealed there is at least one guest villain list above whose appearance has been confirmed – so what do we make of this list?

[/spoiler]

Is it Comic Book Movie just serving us up some heavily salted popcorn or like a bag of over-priced Minstrels, do we now know exactly what we are getting?

Tags: ,

18 Responses to Enjoy A Pinch Of Salt With Your Popcorn [May Contain Actual Spoilers][Unlikely Though]

1. avatar Bradondo says:

I don’t believe a word of this, but if it is true it’s disappointing on multiple levels. First off the whole quest for Gallifrey really should take more than one season, then I don’t really think anyone’s been clamouring for the return of the Pyrovile or the clockwork droids. Does anyone really need an explanation as to why the Doctor looks like he does? What about this alleged DNA experiment? Is this The Lazarus Project in space? It all seems a bit too pat and redundant (and all rather shallow) to me. I love these “unnamed inside sources.”

2. avatar DonnaM says:

TBA? Unknown? This “source” isn’t much cop if so many of the episodes, even in outline, are in those categories with a director for episodes 3 & 6 already announced….

It took 7 series plus specials to discover what happened in the Time War. One series to sort out the search? I doubt it! As for the Pompeiian rumour – God, I hope not! Nobody did a detailed explanation of why Six looked familiar, did they?

I do kind of like the idea of the first one, though. And if the last two words of the list are true…. oh, boy! That’s something I really wouldn’t want to miss! It’s just a pity the whole thing looks like it’s been cobbled together from assorted wild speculations around the internet.

• avatar David F says:

I expect this explanation for the Doctor’s Caecilius-like face to be dealt with in a line or two of dialogue. It’ll surely just be a quick, cheeky remark, not the basis of a whole plot.

3. avatar Emmet Dalton says:

Episode 2 is set at Coal Hill School so apart from the Episode 1 stuff that can be got from Set Reports the rest is clearly fiction.

• avatar Simon Magellan says:

Says who?

4. avatar Al says:

Some aspects of Episode 1 have been suggested in media reports, though if true they’ll need to address a continuity issue with a Series 6 episode. The rest is just wishful thinking. Moffat has said the new mission of Day of the Doctor – which the Doctor put on hold for a millennia or more – is to push the show forward to the 100th anniversary. He won’t resolve it after only one season.

5. avatar neu 75 says:

I’m sticking my neck out here but I reckon this is all a load of brass bollocks.

• avatar craigt68 says:

Wise words neu75, wise words…

6. avatar bobajim says:

While I think it is all a load of old nonsense, over the years of Nu Who most of these early rumours I’ve heard have always turned out to be true. All of season three rumours were true, and most of four. I’ve kind of avoided them since then, until now, curses!!!

7. avatar TimeChaser says:

It feels more like a fan’s wishlist of Twelve fan fiction.

8. avatar drewboynton says:

Seems totally, completely, utterly, perfectly legit. Well, maybe.

9. avatar Elwood says:

Don’t believe a word of it. But Charles Dance would be a great choice to play the Master – a return to the suave, classy villain played by Roger Delgado if his performance as Tywin Lannister on Game of Thrones is anything to go by.

10. avatar Blaine Stott says:

Remember when the rumoured plot for ‘The Angels Take Manhattan’ was the Angels planning to switch off New York’s lights in order for the Statue of Liberty to move about?

11. avatar arceus1296 says:

Made my own list of episodes of what I think should happen:

12. avatar aSlims says:

Didn’t Vastra eat Jack the Ripper?

13. avatar Barry Scott (you know, that bloke from the Sillet Bang ads) says:

Why only 12 episodes? There’s always been 13 since 2005?
    To be honest, I don’t like where Stephen Moffat is taking Doctor Who. There are just so many little details that I don’t like. The last episode that I enjoyed, except Day of the Doctor and The Rings of Akhaten dates all the way back to The Girl Who Waited. For some reason, I liked The Name Of The Doctor until I saw The Time of the Doctor. That’s another thing: I don’t like the episode titles. The Crimson Horror was a good name, but seriously; The Name of the Doctor, the Night of the Doctor, the Day of the Doctor and the Time of the Doctor? Awful. I much prefered it when Russell knew what he was doing. I hate Moffat’s infatuation with ‘tidying everything up’. Too much River Song, and if that Ghosts of Pompeii rumour is true, I might do something nasty.
    About these rumours, I’m pretty sure the first one is true, which is horrifying as it leads me to believe that the others are true as well. The Master would be welcome, but Charles Dance? I’m not sure. Older Doctor, okay, older Master too? It is supposed to be a children’s program, and that involves actors that kids might have seen elsewhere.
    My final rant is too much focus on the Paternoster gang. Not cool. I liked them in, let’s see, A Good Man Goes To War and the Snowmen, but to bring them back for another two, possibly three, episodes, one of which was a finale makes me disappointed.
    Only my opinion. Do a thumb up if you agree.

• avatar Barry Scott (you know, that bloke from the Sillet Bang ads) says:

Also, what happened to double episodes? I miss them.

14. avatar forcast says:

Its speculated that the first two episodes will be a two-parter. You can’t really be uosey at moffat its a hard job but hes getting the hang of it. Even russel t davis had a hard time as show runner. This list is clearly balls to the wall fake. As much as moffat lovess “tidying up” he wouldn’t take ac whole season to do so. The ghost of pompeii actually seems appealing though. Cant you just imagine twelvr looking in a mirror and saying “i look familiar, have i met me?” But thatll provavly never happen