Published on January 11th, 2014 | by Christian Cawley
Doctor Who Classic The Moonbase Out On DVD This Month
Out today in North America for the first time on DVD is The Moonbase, a classic Doctor Who adventure that has been reconstructed with 45 minutes of animation replacing the missing episodes.
Featuring the return of the Cybermen, it puts the cybernetic villains in a new role, that of creepy, shadow-dwelling monsters, silent assassins that use fear and insurrection to carry out their plans!
When the TARDIS lands on the Moon in 2070, the Doctor, Polly, Ben and newly-joined Jamie discover the Earth’s weather control station has been over-run by a mystery plague epidemic. As men begin to go missing and Jamie succumbs to the virus, it’s down to the Doctor to work out who is behind the attack. And he soon discovers that the Cybermen have returned…
Starring the incomparable Patrick Troughton as the Doctor, Frazer Hines as Jamie, Anneke Wills as Polly and Michael Craze as Ben, The Moonbase is presented as an incomplete four part episode, with visual and audio remastering to the existing episodes 2 and 4, and animated versions of episodes 1 and 3 along with the existing original soundtrack.
Extras are listed below:
- Commentary on Episodes 2 and 4: a traditional commentary with actors Anneke Wills, Frazer Hines and Edward Phillips and Special Sounds creator Brian Hodgson.
- Commentary on Episodes 1 and 3: a series of interviews featuring writer Kit Pedler’s daughters Lucy Pedler and Carol Topolski, archive interviews with producer Innes Lloyd, AFM Lovett Bickford, and Cyberman actors Barry Noble, Derek Chaffer and Reg Whitehead. Moderated and linked by Toby Hadoke.
- Lunar Landing - cast and crew look back on the making of the story. With actors Anneke Wills, Frazer Hines and Reg Whitehead, production assistant Desmond McCarthy.
- Photo Gallery – production, design and publicity photos from the story.
- Coming Soon – a trailer for a forthcoming DVD release.
- Radio Times listings.
- Programme subtitles.
- Subtitle Production Notes.
While out on today in North America (Region 1, the USA and Canada) UK fans will have to wait until Monday, 20th January (Region 2 covers Europe, Japan, Middle East, South Africa). If you’re in Australia or New Zealand the release date is January 22nd (Region 4), although of course these dates are subject to change.