I’ve just spoken to occasional Kasterborous contributor and omnirumour expert Gareth Kavanagh concerning this evening’s BFI event and the absence of any Doctor Who, or indeed any genuine confirmation of anything at all, really.
What he has told me can be found listed below. First, however, thanks to Gareth’s discussions this evening, we do know that nothing is being announced this year, but next year we’ll be getting something big.
So, what’s the deal with tonight’s event?
- 10,000 film cans have been uncovered by Philip Morris’ TIEA
- Internet gossip (by Doctor Who fans, mainly) is slowing things down
- Total haul is back in the UK but not all back at the BBC
- It will take years and years to catalogue, grade and restore material
- ITV material being handled by BFI
- Episodes of Steptoe and Son, Morecambe and Wise and Dad’s Army have all been mentioned as being in the collection
- Glimpsed in the screened documentary was a pile of film cans one of which was labelled Marco Polo episode 3 or perhaps 5 (this appears to have since been debunked as a visual gag, however.)
The omnirumour trundles on, Kasterborites…