Published on December 15th, 2013 | by Drew Boynton

The War Doctor’s Regeneration Improved [VIDEO]

There were some of us–and you all know who you are–who held our collective breath when John Hurt started to “wear a bit thin” and gloriously started glowing near the end of The Day of the Doctor.

Had Steven Moffat pulled another one? Had Christopher Eccleston secretly agreed to make a cameo appearance as a newly-regenerated Ninth Doctor? Well, as we now know, the answer was sadly no. The scene does come tantalizing close, though, as the glimmering War Doctor’s eyes and ears seemingly start to morph…and CUT!

Well, some fan out there just couldn’t take not seeing a full regeneration scene, and created some wizardry on his or her computer. As seen on this very well-done video, the skilled fan has added just a few scant seconds, but it’s just enough to see the Ninth Doctor’s face fully regenerated in all his glory. It’s like years of waiting have finally come to an end.

Now, if the fan could just do something about those ears…

Tags: , , , ,

Drew has been a fan of Doctor Who ever since he flipped through the channels late one night and saw a girl blowing up an army of funny robot men with nothing but a slingshot and some old coins. He currently lives somewhere in the woods of Missouri with his beautiful wife Barbara.

14 Responses to The War Doctor’s Regeneration Improved [VIDEO]

1. vortexter says:

Classy! I did hear that Mr E was willing to come aboard for the special providing a certain director was involved but sadly that was not to be.

• Rick714 says:

I hadn’t heard that tidbit before about the director. If true, that would be not only sad but add to the growing legend of CE being trouble in general. We’ve heard a few reasons/excuses why he couldn’t/wouldn’t be in it now. Bit of a no-win scenario for him at this point. He obviously just doesn’t want anything to do with the series anymore, under any circumstances but can’t just say that, otherwise, the villagers will break out the torches!

Again, he had to know ahead of time what he was getting into, so he gets no sympathy from me. And yeah, to mirror the main thought by everyone else, they already used the quick shot of him in the Tardis for that one line, so it would have been easy to get the full face in the regen–BUT I’m guessing that it was artistic license by the director to give just a tantalizing glance of his eyes and I understand that.

But that type of nuance is very lost on the hordes of Who fans that would naturally want to see more. Almost impossible to please the fans….

2. sw says:

see how great that was, why couldn’t they have just done that in the first place!

3. Solonor says:

That was the single most disappointing thing of the special, and I really don’t understand why they didn’t go that far. It’s not like they needed Eccleston to show up or anything. If they needed to give him money for reusing old footage and didn’t want to, then they wouldn’t have included him in the 13 Doctors storming Gallifrey scene, either. Cutting off the regen like that was just puzzling.

4. TimeChaser says:

Wow, that was quite good. I’m with the people confused as to why they didn’t do that.

5. That would have done me! Very nicely made, and to agree with other comments, why couldn’t they have just gone that far with the regen? Ah well!

6. francis cave says:

That of course assumes it was CE that he regenerated into.

Having watched that scene from DOTD a few times now, to me it looks more like a certain Mr Capaldi…..

• Rick714 says:

I’ve watched the thing about 6 time so far and there’s really no doubt—We just see those eyes and they’re definitely Eccleston’s eyes–also, Hurt makes the joke about the ears and Hurt being an incarnation after Smith would make no sense.

• …which would completely contradict the dialogue of the episode, not to mention The Night of the Doctor.

That is the thinnest of straws you’re clutching at!

• Francis Cave says:

Well considering the Moff can introduce a recurring character who much later on turns out to be the grown up daughter of a future companion, and is also somehow part Timelord by being conceived in the Tardis, all bets are off as far as I am concerned!

Anyway, what’s the use of a good straw if you can’t clutch it!

7. Geoff says:

I think they can’t do it for real for legal reasons. An actor might agree to old footage being reused but not to something that infers their actual involvement in a production when they weren’t. I’m not 100% sure but it’s the only reason I can think of for them not going further on screen. I only state this at all because the actor Crispin Glover who played George McFly in Back to the Future refused to reprise his role for the second film so the producers dressed another actor in prosthetics to lookl like him, hired a mimmick to do the voice and then hung the actor upside down (I think he was meant to have a bad back). Anyway Glover sued them for using his image without permission. I think it was the first case of its kind, his complaint being not the issue of money but that he was being associated with a production he wanted nothing to do with. Maybe a similar thing?

• John Miller says:

There was something similar with Time and the Rani, where they wanted to show Colin Baker’s face regenerating into Sylvester Mccoy’s, but they ended up having to start showing it partway through the regeneration.

8. Geoff says:

Funny how you mishear things too. Until now I thought he said “I hope the years are a bit less conspicuous this time” as a reference to Hurts age!

9. Christine says:

Nicely done, could have been one of the extra’s on the DVD (it isn’t) as the quality is pretty good!