Doctor Who News Peter Capaldi

Published on December 5th, 2013 | by Andrew Reynolds

New BBC One Controller “very excited” by Peter Capaldi

The Controller has spoken!

BBC One Overlord Charlotte Moore said she is ‘very excited’ by Peter Capaldi’s first scenes on Doctor Who.

Speaking at a BAFTA Session the BBC One Controller promised that The Thick of It and, more recently the Imagine special on Machiavelli (which should be watched for those who want to see a non-sweary snarling Capaldi performance and for the way it kind of feels like a Doctor Who episode; the large fonts declaring the locations, the long coat, the impossible choice to be ‘good’, the refuting, cut and thrust of academic engagement…well maybe not that one) star is “going to be a really fantastic Doctor.” (Blimey, that took some getting to – Ed)

He’s an extraordinary actor with amazing ability and just watching the first scenes come through… I’m very excited.

Addressing the controversy of not allowing the Doctor to regenerate into a female, which show runner Steven Moffat said would cause too much confusion and awkward conversations between the shows younger fans, Moore added:

It was about finding the right person, rather than what gender they might be.  We didn’t go in with any agenda, but when you know you’ve found the right Doctor, you all stick on the right Doctor. I’m delighted that Peter said yes.

Aren’t we all!?

Doctor Who will return in The Time of the Doctor, Christmas Day, 7:30 pm, BBC One.

(via Digital Spy)

Tags: , , , ,

15 Responses to New BBC One Controller “very excited” by Peter Capaldi

1. Lozzer says:

Gender, gender…. AHHHHH!

2. Itistheend..... says:

I wasn’t aware that choosing a male Doctor was controversial, apart from amongst a handful of attention-seeking newspaper columnists.

3. DonnaM says:

Thanks to those irritating columnists it’s been made to appear more controversial than it is that “another” white male has been cast. Setting that irrelevance aside, however, I’m delighted to know the woman with the power is so excited.

And maybe I’m reading to much into this, but – first scenes? More than a brief regeneration appearance?

I live in hope!

• Ella says:

I don´t know who came with the idea of a female Doctor first but find it irritating. I am a woman and I am all for strong female characters but Doctor…is the Doctor, he is man, I don´t know why does have to be everything influenced by political correctness.

You are not alone in this hope – I hope it will be more than just 30 seconds after the regeneration…

4. FrancoPabloDiablo says:

It is just a fact that the right person will always be a white male actor. Deal with it minority!

• VALIS says:

Is this a joke? How very very rude, offensive, and hurtful, and hateful. What’s the point in personally attacking all minorities? Certainly beyond the scope of the topic at hand. I hope you don’t have as much hate in you as this comment suggests.

• Could we keep this on topic, please?

FPD: let’s celebrate 12 and anticipate
        VALIS: there is no hate in FPD’s post. The word isn’t used. on the other hand you have used six emotive, negative terms – this is totally unnecessary.

• VALIS says:

You don’t think the phrase “Deal with it minority!” is emotive or negative. not to mention hateful? How would you feel if you were a minority reading that? Am I seriously the one being chewed out here, while the other fellow gets a pass?

• VALIS says:

You do realize that the word “hate” need not be used specifically for something to be hateful, and that connotative meaning has no relationship to the specific number of words used. If you honestly can’t see that, then there are extreme limits to your understanding of human communication,and if you feel a need to ban me from this site than fine, because I think it is very very ugly that I am being accused of breaking decorum and the person throwing out a blanket insult to all minorities is not. On top of that you are actually counting number of words. Only in Doctor Who fandom is that level of pedantry taken seriously. Laughable indeed. Goodbye Kasterborous.

• Sorry, my human understanding has failed. Do I need to ban you (I see no reason to) or have you gone already?

You’re reading an awful lot into a short comment, don’t you think?

Far more than is necessary.

• No one gets a pass. Read my comment.

5. Hyncharas says:

It seems that controllers for BBC One are as replaceable as The Doctor’s incarnations; anybody notice how every time he changes, so does the person running the department?!

6. iankiddy says:

Oh ffs… it’s now controversial to cast a man as the Doctor,
    Somebody stop the world, I wanna get off!

• John Miller says:

I don’t think even she thinks it’s controversial. It’s more a case of having to pander to those sorts. Charlotte Moore realises that Peter Capaldi is the right choice, but she is also intelligent enough to realise that a certain type of person will find something to complain about, so that “gender” bit was just to appease them.

It will still be interesting to see how Capaldi goes down with the 12-year-old fangirls though.

7. lozzer says:

Doctor Who is no different to any other product, you have to know to a certain extent what the product is. Yes, the story telling is unique in that it can be any genre each week, and that is also its strength. But… to say that the Doctor can be any sex is just going to cause a lot of uncertainty. Are you going to alienate half of your fan base each time the Doctor regenerates? You may end up with a situation where people skip entire runs as they prefer male or female Doctors. And what then… do you have to alternate each regeneration to be male, female? It’s a can of worms that would in my opinion spell disaster for the show. I think/I hope the Doctor Who team know this, and they are playing around with the notion that the genre is interchangeable in an effort to appease people. I think casting could be more imaginative in the future, I’d love to see a black or Asian Doctor, but for the time being, I’m completely over the moon about Capaldi.