Doctor Who News The Time of the Doctor 1

Published on December 13th, 2013 | by Drew Boynton

Matt’s Last Line Planned “For A Long While”

At least it won’t be “Carrot juice”!

Steven Moffat has said that the departure of Matt Smith’s Eleventh Doctor has been planned out for some time – right down to his last line of dialogue. Recently, the secretive Scottish showrunner let loose a few tiny details about the upcoming Christmas special, The Time of the Doctor:

“Before I wrote it, I did say to Mark [Gatiss] that I thought I knew what [Matt's] last moment would be – and indeed his last line. I’ve had the vague storyline in place for a long while.”

And it sounds like we may possibly – possibly! – get some answers to things like cracks in walls, exploding TARDISes, and all-expenses-paid trips to Trenzalore:

“It’s his final battle and he’s been fighting it for a while. There are… elements from every series of Matt’s Doctor, which will come to a head in this special.”

Reading Moffat’s quotes, it very well appears that the Eleventh Doctor’s exit might have been planned even before he made his first entrance… a perfect example of the devious timey-wiminess of the showrunner’s brain.

We’ll soon find out if Matt Smith doesn’t wanna go – or is sort of OK with going? – in less than two weeks! The Time of the Doctor airs on Christmas Day, Wednesday, December 25th.

Kasterborites, how long do you think Moffat has had Matt’s exit planned? And how many charts and graphs do you think his plan involved?

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Drew has been a fan of Doctor Who ever since he flipped through the channels late one night and saw a girl blowing up an army of funny robot men with nothing but a slingshot and some old coins. He currently lives somewhere in the woods of Missouri with his beautiful wife Barbara.

17 Responses to Matt’s Last Line Planned “For A Long While”

1. I suspect he will be OK with going – if he’s been fighting a long battle, the body will be “wearing a bit thin”. As for how long Moffat has had this planned – he seems to be a fan of the idea that the best writing is recursive, the end refers to the past. It depends on how far in the past he wants to go: he could make it that the Sisterhood of Karn spiked the Eighth Doctor’s drink with more life when he regenerated into the War Doctor thanks to their tipple.

2. avatar Capaldi>Smith says:

So soon, but not soon enough. Matt needs to get out! We need a man in the tardis, not a little emo boy.

• avatar You. says:

^ You disgust me.

• avatar Acrobat says:

I agree! I have only been able to tolerate Smith

• avatar Spider-pope says:

0/10 for Trolling. Try harder.

3. avatar Christine says:

His remarks didn’t surprise me. And it really would be nice if we would get answers to pending questions!

4. avatar Geoff says:

Capaldi>smith I disagree entirely. I think a lot of Matts appeal lies in his performance of an old man albeit in a young (and as it turns out surprisingly 6 packed) body. He may have started off looking quite youthful but he as always nailed the old man quality for me.
    Also I think we should try to make our points in a positive way. I don’t see why a comment about looking forward to seeing Peter Capaldi has to be positioned in such a way that the point can only be made by knocking another actors performance.

5. avatar Nath Kyle says:

Please let his last word be “Geronimo!”

6. avatar Alex says:

I hope the lines live up to Matt’s performances. One of the best portrails of the doctor ever.

7. avatar Andrew Dorgomire says:

Read Spiral Scratch. Six gives a lovely monologue, “Don’t cry Mel. It was my time. Well, maybe not, but it was my time to give. To donate. I’ve had a good innings you know, seen and done a lot. Can’t complain this time. Don’t feel cheated.” His final line is “Local… tractor… beam…” when the Rani attacks the TARDIS.

8. avatar Carl Jackson says:

I had my money on ‘Geronimo’ or that a bit too obvious now??

9. avatar Al says:

Moffat plays the long game – I keep saying that. When he put together Silence in the Library he had already been offered the showrunner job, so he totally planned that storyline out with Eleven in mind (lucky for him Alex Kingston agreed to come back). And just as Davies had a general idea of Tennant’s timeline before the guy even filmed Christmas Invasion, so too I’m sure Moffatt was looking at a 3-year plan from the moment Smith filmed his first episode, too. I expect him to do the same thing with Capaldi – we’ll see things in his first episode that won’t pay off until his last.

• avatar Simon Magellan says:

I’ve always wondered about River’s comment that her Doctor was older – clearly Moffat did have the intention at the time to cast an older actor, as he has previously said, but then Smith came along – which makes the line redundant.

While you’re right about Moffat’s like for the Long Game (or Con, depending on your point of view!), I wonder how much he’ll do now as he surely can’t be planning to continue with DW for another three or four years? The number of times he’s now mentioned talking to Gatiss makes me more and more convinced he’s preparing his exit strategy, so if he does set anything up, it may not be anything that is resolved because a new Producer will not want to be tied down by it (as he was by the Time War and its implications for the Doctor).

10. Pingback: Matt’s Last Line Planned “For A Long While” - Dustyhawk :: Broken Mirror

11. avatar DonnaM says:

God I hope it’s not “Geronimo!”

We used to shout that in the playground when I was in primary school.

Matt, as I’ve said before, is not my favourite Doctor by any stretch; he’s a wonderful actor, as evidenced by his other work, but I’ve never got the “old man’s eyes” that so many of you see in him. Maybe it’s a lack of imagination on my part!

He’s wonderful at the comedic stuff, but just too much a Labrador puppy bouncing about with a fetish for funny hats (the fez is not, and never will be, cool!) for my more staid tastes to bear.

Either way, I’m sure Moff will give him a suitable send-off and I’ll wave him on his way and wish him well. Then roll on Series 8 and a whole new Doctor to get to know!

• avatar Simon Magellan says:

“Sitting Bull!” perhaps? Just to throw us.

• avatar DonnaM says:

It’d get a laugh from me!