Doctor Who News An Unearthly Child cliffhanger

Published on December 12th, 2013 | by Danny_Weasel

Can You Recite All 240 Episodes Names…?

I pride myself on being a wealth of useless information. I can tell you the complete bible quote that Samuel L Jackson uses from Pulp Fiction; I can recite the entire English monarchy from 1066 to the modern day; I can tell you the full titles of every Friday 13th movie, in order but there is one super fan out there that can top all these things.

Teacher Giovanni Antonelli memorised and recited the titles of all 240  stories spanning Doctor Who‘s 50 year history. Every story from An Unearthly Child through to The Day of the Doctor in order.

Ok, admit it, how many of you just tried it yourselves then? Don’t worry, I did too and didn’t even make it out of Hartnell before I missed one.

Giovanni took up the challenge to raise money for Children in Need, and having completed the task in 15 minutes raised £100 for the charity. While he admits he had to learn the title specifically for the challenge, he is a big fan and the challenge itself is the result of a 40 year love of the show.

“Most of it has been rattling around in my head for years – I’ve just never had a reason to learn them all in order.”

His love of the show regularly spills over into his science lessons to which, he says “there’s two responses – some groan and say ‘not this again,’ but others seem genuinely enthusiastic.”

Apparently since the challenge some  colleagues at work have dubbed him a ‘super-nerd’. To this I say Giovanni, wear it as a badge of honour. Your achievement has not only raised money for a good cause but it has no doubt thrown down the gauntlet to countless other fans to attempt the same feat.

Now, if you don’t mind.

Unearthly Child…The Daleks… Edge of Destruction… Marco Polo…

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to Can You Recite All 240 Episodes Names…?

1. IGettings says:

I can do the story titles with some pauses – but no way all the early Hartnell ep titles – was The Savages the first one without individual titles even? Can’t be sure – that title came into my head…

• TimeChaser says:

You are correct, The Savages was the first story with an overall title rather than individual episode titles.

I could probably name them all using full story titles, and I’m guessing that’s what this guy did. The article said 240, which is the total story count. The total episode count is over 700 I believe.

• Simon Magellan says:

The Christmas ep is no.800

• Philip Bates says:

Might be an idea to pick up the latest DWM, which has a poster filled with 800 beautiful episodes! Well, 796 beautiful episodes, plus The Twin Dilemma… I kid, I kid – I love em all. :D

2. Shurely shum mishtake?
    100,000 BC, The Mutants, Inside the Spaceship, Marco Polo… ?

3. I can do the Troughton/Pertwee/T.Baker stories in the right order. But of course they were my Doctors :) And the series from Rose to now. So quite proud of that. The fact that my memory is not as vodka comatosed as some fear.

4. joesiegler says:

There’s a lot more than 240 episodes. :)

• The problem with the definition in title of course is the switch from individual episode titles in the 1960s. The title we used is punchier than “Can You Recite All 20* Episodes With Individual Titles And Every Serial Title Since?”

(I’m aware this may not be the actual figure)

5. Simon Magellan says:

I’ve been able to recite all story titles of the original series since I was about 12! Not sure this really counts as a extraordinary feat.

6. TonyS says:

Actually a lot of fans will be able to do this. I’m not sure I would be admitting it in public though.

7. Absolutely admit it in public, and be proud! I recite them at work & people think it’s great I’ve got such a passion for something..

8. David F says:

Yeah, I can do it, although I have a weird blind spot for Planet of the Daleks and Death to the Daleks. Keep mixing up the two titles and stopping to think really hard.