Doctor Who News The 11th Doctor

Published on November 28th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

Matt Could Have Stayed In Doctor Who For Another Year!

Departing Doctor Who star Matt Smith has revealed that he considered holding onto the role for one more year.

Admitting that while the time seemed right for him to move on, Matt also confessed that he found living away from home for much of the year difficult.

I’d have very happily done another year. It’s a wonderful show. But I think you gotta go when you gotta go, and for me, it just felt like the right time to move on.

It’s a very intense process to play the Doctor. The line-learning is really hard and you have to live away from home for 10 months a year.

We’ll never know, of course, how Matt’s extended time as the Doctor might have played out (just as we’ll never know how the Tenth Doctor might have been had he survived The End of Time and met Amy Pond). We can at least be sure that he’s proud of his work on Doctor Who.

I’m going to miss my friends, and being part of a show where people dress up and make you feel like you’re part of something really unique and special… It’s changed my life.

It is a huge honour to be the incumbent Time Lord, as it were, and something of which I am very proud… It is a great time to be part of it – and I know that Peter Capaldi is going to be a wonderful Doctor. I really do.

Matt Smith’s final appearance as the Doctor in The Time of the Doctor is set to be aired over Christmas on BBC One, an episode that will also herald the arrival of his successor – and we can’t wait!

(Via Los Angeles Times)

Tags: , , , ,

16 Responses to Matt Could Have Stayed In Doctor Who For Another Year!

1. avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Good luck in all your future endeavours Matt. And thank you so much for all you have done for the show. You have given us a Doctor that is loved and who proudly sits among your predecessors. Another series with you would have been amazing, but you know when is right for you to move on! Capaldi will be immense, but you are leaving behind some pretty big shoes to fill!!!

2. avatar ZeroRoom says:

I have this theory/feeling (as in based on nothing but gut instinct) that Matt Smith didn’t actually *want* to leave. I can imagine him signing an initial 3 season contract which would be up after series 7 and with the 50th anniversary year what better for the BBC to create additional hype than the announcement of a new Doctor by simply not renewing it? A Doctor who regenerates right at the very end of the 50th year no less – and there’s no doubt The Capaldi announcement made for even more headlines and a hell of a lot of press on top of the 50th this year.
    I haven’t got a shred of evidence for this. Just Matt’s peculiar answers about why he left at SDCC this year and in other interviews – in all of which he expressed confusion or regret as to the notion of his leaving. Also the fact that the ‘Subterranean Home Sick Blues’ style goodbye video came out so long ago, and then Matt continued to do so many appearances (AAISAT, The webisodes, the cinema intro, the doctorwhosavetheday.com intro etc etc) not to mention two further episodes.
    I suppose we’ll never know… It’s just a strange feeling I have…

3. Yes he will be missed but like they say all good things must come to an end eventually. Roll on Peter Capaldi.

4. avatar The Family Who says:

It doesn’t matter if hes your favorite or not,It’ll still be sad to see him go.Hes my Daughters Doctor though, I hope the pain isn’t too much.With Tennant, my Son broke his heart, I expect similar emotions from my Daughter.Who will hold me? Lol.

5. avatar Spider-pope says:

Personally i think both Tennant and Smith have left the role too early. Tennant should have stayed at least another year, and i feel the same with Smith. As much as i am looking forward to Capaldi, another year of 11 would be great.

Oh well, here’s to a guest appearance of Tennant, Smith and Capaldi in the 60th anniversary special :D

6. avatar DonnaM says:

He may not be entirely my kind of Doctor but Matt’s been fantastic for the show and he’s a superb actor; he was terrific in that BBC Olympic rowing thing last year and I’m sure he’s going to have a stellar career. I look forward to seeing what he does next.

That said – roll on Christmas! I’m itching to see what Peter Capaldi will bring to The Doctor!

7. avatar Ian says:

I’m glad he’s gone, really. The sole point of interest for next season for me comes from Capaldi, who has the potential to be an excellent Doctor.

No doubt they’ll throw him away on flibbertigibbet scripts as with Smithy, though…

8. avatar Christine says:

Well I’m sorry he’s leaving but also looking forward to Peter. I wouldn’t have minded him staying on but they do say it’s good to leave on a high!

9. avatar farsighted99 says:

I think he really decided to leave, though with a lot of hesitation. I think Moffat wanted him to stay one more year; but I guess he’d decided to move on. That old rule of not staying much longer than 3 years in the role probably convinced him he should go. Yes, it’s a tough role, and he probably was lonely in Cardiff and it was hard on him; he kept mentioning how much he aged doing it, and perhaps even money may have played a part; did he ever get as much as David Tennant for playing the Doctor? Who knows. I was hoping he would stay another year, if not just for Jenna being his new companion… but Capaldi will be great, and I imagine his version of the Doctor will be a lot different than Matt’s interpretation.

It’s all decided, and now we just have to sit back and watch how it all unfurls..

10. avatar Ranger says:

As I didn’t like his take on the role, I’m glad he hasn’t gone on for a further year. I can’t wait for Capaldi’s reign to begin.

11. avatar McCoy says:

It’s obviously sad in some respects as Smith has, to my mind, been the best Doctor of the modern era. I very much enjoyed Tennant and Eccles Cake too, but for me Smith really has been the one that felt most ‘Doctor-ish’, for want of a better word. But at the same time, very few things in Doctor Who are as exciting as the prospect of a brand new Doctor, and when that brand new Doctor is going to be played by Capaldi, well, all the better!

12. avatar Scott says:

I would agree with McCoy. I think Smith has been the best of the new Doctors and wish he would have stayed for another year. While Matt’s time on Who seems to end perfectly with the 50th Special it feels ok BUT I’m still pissed at the poor mismanagement of season 7 and how it was split. I can see Capaldi getting two full series and then they’ll screw around with it again. From Matt’s point of view I can also see that all the line learning must be really hard to learn as we aren’t on set and seeing how hard it is to film these shows and it would be nice if Moffat would trim or tone it down so it’s not all this fast paced dialogue. If I was Matt, I’d be praying for the days with a slow scene is being filmed.

13. avatar Scott says:

Just as an aside, I hope all this praise that Capaldi is getting now doesn’t turn on him quickly as we have no idea how he’ll do the part. He could come out and in the first few shows turn people off. I have this vision of Colin Baker… and it took Big Finish to make me like Baker years afterward. I hope Capaldi nails it first show out like Smith did.

• avatar McCoy says:

It is slightly worrying, all the understandable raves about Capaldi. It feels like people have such high expectations that he can only fall short of them for some people. Be horrible if people turned on him immediately.

• avatar Mark Lenton says:

Like they did Colin…

14. avatar Geoff says:

I am not deeply into fandom, in the sense i lnow people associated with the show etc but I did get told by someone who i trust completely on the subject that Mr Moffat and the BBC very much wanted Matt to stay and were very disappointed when he decided not to and hang up his bowtie. I have no idea what offers we’re made to persuade him but I imagine they probably offered some large sums and the freedom to do other work like they did in DTs last year.
    I think he made his own choice and the regret that is obvious when he talks about it is natural. This is the role that made Matts name so he is bound to feel emotional moving on from it. I think it’s a shame he’s going now. He brings so much to every performance but it’s his career. It will be interesting to see where he goes from here.