Published on November 29th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

Kasterborous Defies You Not To Get Teary

It’s fair to say that as I watched The Day of the Doctor at the Middlesbrough Cineworld in 3D last Saturday evening, I got somewhat over-excited.

For one, being surrounded by several hundred Doctor Who fans – most of who were kitted out in fezzes and scarves and other cosplay wonderment – was superb. The popcorn was good too.

Although I nearly did Mrs Kasterborous an injury when the Doctors appeared plotting their ingenious salvation of Gallifrey (I held her hand too tight) and got a smack around the head when the CapaldiDoc glared at the universe (I gripped tighter) nothing prepared me for the floods of tears that followed when this chap turned up.

If you click play, dear Kasterborite, expect to get emotional.

And then tell me… has anyone written any fanfic starring the Curator yet?

Tags: , , , , ,

20 Responses to Kasterborous Defies You Not To Get Teary

1. avatar Si says:

Re fiction featuring The Curator – I assume you’ve read Summer Falls by ‘Amelia Williams’? ;)

2. avatar Lozzer says:

In less than two minutes Tom Baker proves why he is/was, will be again, the greatest actor to play The Doctor. Monumental acting skills that only a madman/genius can possess.

3. avatar Hoosier Whovian says:

I did not see the special, but after watching this I don’t need to. (I did tear up)

4. man, i loved that part with the Curator. that was PERFECT and so fitting to the character. man, Moffat ocudn’t have done much better, in my opinion. GALLIFREY. PAINTINGS. THE SCREAM. THE OOD. THE SILENCE. OMG XMAS.

I can’t remember if i can do this or not, so if i can’t you guys, just delete this link, okay? This is my christmas present to my fellow whovians here and you guys who do this site for us.

it’s my DW parody of the Bing Crosby version of ‘I Want to Hitch a Ride with Santa Claus’.

merry christmahanukawanzaaka guys!!!!

5. avatar Geoff says:

Just seeing Matt and Tom together made my whole year. My two favourite Doctors going nose to nose, and what a scene. I loved the “I never forget a face…” “I know you don’t” exchange.

• avatar vortexter says:

My five year old boy wanders around the house tapping his nose and muttering ‘Who knows, who knows…’ since watching dear old Tom on the screen!

6. avatar Rick714 says:

You know I’ve watched the special 3 times and now this ending 4 times and damn, I get yet another nuance out of it every time I watch it.

7. avatar TimeChaser says:

The Curator, the War Doctor… the special has given us many new opportunities for fan fiction. I’m even getting an idea now….

8. avatar CastrovalvanCelery says:

This made me tear up as much as the final scene of Hartnell’s doctor in “An Adventure in Time and Space”

9. avatar Scott says:

Lozzer says it all. Baker is the BEST! Best scene of the show and makes up for Eccleston pussing out.

10. avatar Hoosier Whovian says:

I did like the wink Matt gave him at the beginning of their talk, very very subtle.

• avatar David F says:

It’s a tremendous wink. I’ve been trying to recreate it and can’t.

11. avatar nwlhs says:

love to see a spin-off series with Tom..The Casebook of the Curator, perhaps…are you listening Mr Moffat?

12. avatar Carl Jackson (Timelord 68 ) says:

How come no one has mentioned the wall in the background?? did it all take place in the / a Tardis? Jus sayin…….

13. avatar David F says:

I love the way the music complements the scene. There’s one moment, when Baker says, “Or perhaps it doesn’t matter either way”, and the music reinforces the moment in the most beautiful, haunting way. It carries through into the last dream sequence monologue, and is perfect.

In fact, considering how many Who specials have been packed with wall-to-wall music, this one was notable for its clever use of silence. The scenes in the barn were eerily free of music, and it gave John Hurt’s beautifully restrained performance space to breathe and show off its true power.

14. Is Tom Baker now the oldest actor to appear in Doctor Who?

15. avatar DonnaM says:

It was something special – something I’d never thought to see, Tom back in Doctor Who. I hope he enjoyed it as much as we did!

16. avatar Joyce says:

He was there for a few minutes and he stole the show. Tearful and glorious all at once. Thank you Moffat, that was truly great. Can he come back now please?

17. avatar Jamie-42 says:

What can I say but Tom was/is/will always be my Doctor. Time has not changed him! (How could it, he is the Doctor)

I have watched it 4 times and teared up every single time and I don’t mind saying I hope that feeling never goes away!

Mr Moffat you are a genius!

18. avatar Drew Boynton says: