Doctor Who News Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor

Published on November 23rd, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

That Was The Day of the Doctor! [POLL]

So, ladies and gentlemen, that was the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who, The Day of the Doctor! As befits an occasion of this stature, we won’t review the episode just yet until the events have sunk in.

However, this doesn’t mean that we don’t want to hear from you – so use the poll below to log your initial thoughts and if you’re feeling a little more verbose, jump into the comments section (where spoilers may be found).

We’ll be looking at these results in our coverage of the broadcast’s reaction later this weekend.

Tags: , ,

65 Responses to That Was The Day of the Doctor! [POLL]

1. Al says:

I gave it thought for several minutes before voting, and decided ultimately to vote this as the greatest Doctor Who episode ever. I thought Doctor’s Wife and Blink were untouchable, but there was simply too much good stuff for it not to take the top spot, for me.

2. Colin McDonough. says:

I think that I love too much Who to have a definitive favourite episode but this is up there with the best. A great piece of work. We’ll done Moffat!

• Geoff says:

I accidentally thumbed down this. I meant to wholeheartedly agree.

3. Cisa says:

Saw it at the Theater. Loved every minute of it. 3D was great. Lots of surprises. It will probably end up being one of my favorites, especially my fav of the Matt Smith/Steven Moffitt era.

4. Christopher O'Sullivan says:

I love the fact that Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy and Peter Davidson were in it as well.. heheh.. Very sneeky! If you haven’t watched “The Five(ish) Doctors” yet then watch it to the end.
    Watched The Day of the Doctor at the cinema in 3D with my kids. Loved it. Great to be in a cinema when people are cheering, laughing, applauding and silent in all the right places. Loved it loved it loved it. And my doctor at the end as well. Superb. I am a happy man.

5. TimeChaser says:

I went with Fitting Tribute for the 50th. I would rate it as definitely one of the greatest episodes, though possibly not THE greatest. But I think Moffat gave us something really special here without it being cheesy in any way. And now we have a new direction to look forward to: the Search for Gallifrey!

6. Paddy says:

This was one of those episodes that I’m sure I could, if I felt inclined, pick a few niggles with.. but I loved it too much to want to. A wonderful balance between story and nostalgia, Capaldi, Baker, that multi-Doctor shot at the end, the classic opening, UNIT, Zygons, Daleks, amazing visuals, a wonderfully filmic feel. Absolutely stellar.

7. Josh Singleton says:

Fitting tribute. Also, is it bad that I was probably most excited by the bridge in the end theme song that they haven’t played in the new series? It really gave me the classic feel. And that cameo!!!

8. EmbersToAshes says:

Sad that we didn’t see Eccleston for the regeneration sequence, but hardly unexpected. One can’t force the man to return – though you’d’ve thought at the time knowing Chris’ reluctance to return to most past roles, they might’ve filmed an Eccleston perspective post-regeneration sequence for if they were ever to bridge the gap from 8 to 9. Would have avoided a lot of the bitching at Eccleston seen in previous threads, and kept the fanbase more than happy. A foolish mistake on the BBC’s behalf while they still had him under contract.

• sw says:

After watching back frame by frame they did CG the top half of Ecclestons face onto Hurts in the very last frame which made me wonder why not go all the way with it?

9. docwhom says:

As a plot and a story, it was all over the place. But, as an episode of Doctor Who, it was utterly glorious.

10. BOJAY says:

How about “imperfectly glorious”?

• docwhom says:

But it wasn’t imperfectly glorious. Imperfectly plotted maybe. Give me a bit of heart and fun any day and you can stuff arguments about canon and causality.

11. Acrobat says:

Cannot wait to watch it in 3D this evening. A brilliant tribute, I loved it.

12. Michael says:

Hurt was pathetic. Could not take him seriously as a Doctor. Should have used McGann and wrote a better story. Bad end to a sad anniversary year.

• docwhom says:

John Hurt is pathetic? An anniversary year which has brought us WEB and ENEMY and NIGHT is sad? Are there no depths to which the McGann fetishists won’t stoop in prostituting their self respect on the altar of their fantasy that McGann is going to return to lead us all to a promised land?

• TimeChaser says:

Have to say I agree with docwhom. In what way was Hurt pathetic? Were you expecting him to be evil like the Valeyard? As a Doctor who had spent unknown years fighting the Time War and was tired and willing to take the ultimate act of genocide to stop the war, I thought he played it very well.

• gary soanes says:

John Hurt was brilliant. One of Britain’s most acclaimed actor’s brought some real gravitas and humour to the role,and from now on is firmly entrenched in the shows canon. Paul McGann could not have been used for the role of the War Doctor,as he is a known and accepted incarnation of the time lord, it had to be someone the audience had never seen as the Doctor before, and Hurt played that role perfectly

13. I find it quite strange that people are so willing and quick to forgive all the faults that they mention….and there are lot of them being mentioned…in the 50th anniversary episode but aren’t still even to this day willing to be so forgiving of all the faults in the 1996 movie. There are a lot of faults being pointed out regarding the 50th but such a willingness to overlook them and give the episode a really high rating anyway when the trend has always been to voice harsh criticism and anger towards an episode that has as many faults as they are claiming the 50th has. Just curious about this change of attitude.

• TimeChaser says:

Perhaps you can loosen your collar a bit and just have fun for once? I don’t think there were as many faults as you seem to assume. Yes there may have been some things glossed over (Rassilon and his plans that culminated in The End of Time being possibly the biggest), but as an anniversary special and signpost to the next 50 years goes, this was very well handled.

• docwhom says:

There wasn’t enough to tickle me in the TVM to make up for its shortcomings. I felt bugger all watching the TVM. Only that the TARDIS interior was pretty.

14. Geoff says:

Agreed. It was just enjoyable, hugely enjoyable. Yes the Rassilion stuff is dodgy, as was the unresolved Zygon plot line but I got to see Petet Capaldi, Tom Baker acting with Matt Smith and such a load of other treats I really don’t care. The good stuff far outweighed the bad which is why I went for Great story. Bearing in mind the difficult task he had I thought Mr Moffat rose to the occasion.

15. simon magellan says:

It was a very good episode – certainly one of the best of the new series – Hurt was excellent, and it had a decent, cohesive, proper plot (unlike, say, The Five Doctors) – one that allowed the Doctor redemption from his actions in the Time War. There were lots to enjoy – the glimpse of Capaldi, Tom Baker’s cameo. All in all, a very good celebration of the series.

Having said that, emotionally, I would say I found Adventure in Space and Time much more affecting.

16. Luke says:

I really liked it, but I wish there featured more of the older doctors in it. Something they said in the “pre-show” was about going back and showing Paul Mcgann as the doctor; this would be a wonderful, temporary, spinoff.

17. John Shandler says:

The Search For Gallifrey: when it is disovered, the final sanction will be applied, as Rassilon was still doing this. The Doctor erased Gallifrey for a reason and gave his character a dark, guilt-driven edge- he’d saved the universe from destruction by both the Time Lords and the Daleks, but by having to commit genocide twice, but with no other choice. Why change this?

• TimeChaser says:

The guilt-driven Last of the Time Lords has been an interesting direction to take the character, but I think there’s only so much angst its possible to take. Giving him some hope again is not a bad thing and the knowledge that Gallifrey is out there will obviously have an impact on Capaldi and future Doctors. Perhaps this alteration to his future will avert the darkness it was assumed would consume him as he reached the end of his lives.

• Bob James says:

Time can be rewritten.

18. TraineeHellcat says:

A fitting tribute! Highlights for me are the; start with the school, the Zygons, all the Doctors at the end and especially the surprise of seeing of Peter Capaldi (evil looking eyes though). However, for me the highlight was the shock of seeing Tom Baker at the very end which had me in tears. As soon as Clara said The Curator was looking for the Doctor I just knew who it would be. Bring back The Curator! Well done Moff for keeping everything secret and achieving the impossible. One wish; nothing against John Hurt but why did you not use Paul McGann instead. That would have just been the best.

19. iank says:

Ordinary. Some nice fan-pleasing bits toward the end, but essentially fairly typical and underwhelming NuHu sub-blockbuster stuff. Hurt gave a good performance but given that he seemed a nice enough old buffer and hardly a Dark Doctor, there was no real reason for his existence – McGann could have played that role and it would have made more sense. Waste of an incarnation.

New ideas and direction desperately needed.

20. johnnybear says:

I agree! Hurt was great in the role but McGann would have been a better choice and avoided the continuity problems! Even better would have been if Eccleston had never been cast in the first place! The most undoctorish Doctor of them all!

21. DonnaM says:

A fitting tribute and a smashing ride. Laugh-out-loud moments, shocks and surprises, and a chance to move away from the guilt-ridden “murderer of his own race” line. Interesting as it’s been, getting rid of that war-guilt does give the chance to move the character in a new way.

For me there were four shriek moments:

Elizabeth’s “I know I have the body of a weak and feeble woman” – what can I say, I’m a history geek and that twist on the Armada speech had me in stitches.

Peter Capaldi’s appearance, fleeting as it was. I so hoped Moffat’s words about looking to the future meant his inclusion!

Tom Baker. Not my favourite (although really my first) Doctor, but still THE Doctor for so many. And before anybody starts off about his cameo being spoiled – please remember who spoiled it! Not the messengers; the man himself!

And of course that shot of all the Doctors.

One last point – Christopher Eccleston. The sole surviving Doctor not involved in the anniversary project. Two words: His. Loss!

22. dr jon says:

Great story,great ending,i had a feeling peter capaldi would pop up in the story,and a nice touch when tom baker turned up.So who think’s the dr will be looking for his home planet when the new series starts next year?

23. Andrew G. Dick says:

A fitting tribute to 50 years of time travel. Watched it at the cinema in Glasgow and it was great atmosphere. You can keep your Star Wars and Star Trek movies, that had way more wit and charm than they could ever get. Loved it, and would easily place that very highly, probably a top 10.

24. vortexter says:

I…enjoyed it. 8/10 with a lot to recommend it. There were a few flaws but it seems churlish to mention them when such a great effort behind it. I think the Zygon’s shouldn’t have been in it myself as removing them would have given more screen time to the time war and other things.
    As an aside, it would have been interesting if the ‘Operating Manual’ had appeared at various times as older companions and previous Doctors with each facet of their characters a reason not to press the button.
    In fact, perhaps the Caretaker was not the Doctor but just a lingering echo of the Bad Wolf Rose?

25. Boffin says:

Sooooooo It kind of implies that Capaldi IS number 13?!?!?!? Despite Moffats denials. So the Christmas special features 12 into 13? Which ergo would mean some sort of Valeyard action?

I did find the inclusion of Hurt a bit odd in the end. I was buying Moffats “Well it cant be one of OUR Doctors actors, as that will be too much for one our loved doctors to be seen doing, so we will spin off a new character who gets to do the genocide”. Only to watch the thing and NO GENOCIDE HAPPENED!! If he had read his own script he would have realised that actually this War Doctor was every bit a Doctor as any other.

It almost felt like he wanted a Hartnell type character in there so he wrote in this Hurt fellow. Some of his lines sounded like they were written with the first doctor in mind. Which makes sense for the 50th to have some sort of 1st Doctor throwback. However I just am not sure why we have this whole new character being brought in for the 50th. Still I am not totally against the Hurt doctor, I just think he needs a bit more explaining now.

Also we still don’t really know Who the Doctor is. All that build up that after 50 years we were going to get his name, the works and nothing really got resolved. The only thing that we really got was Gallifrey back. But since the decision has clearly been made that New Who is not a Reboot then that was bound to happen eventually. I was looking forward to some huge reveal about Susan or some of his earlier family or something.

It also didn’t really leave us any closure to the drama that we last saw going down on Trenzalore. So after all that build up leaping into his own time wound, the Doc and Clara just notice the War Doctor, turn around walk away, pick up the girls and Strax drop them back in London, drop Clara off at Coal Hill for a teaching sabbatical and then are just kind of hanging out for this to all start? OR are we going to find out at Christmas that maybe this was all still some vision going on inside the time rent on Trenzalore?

Still enough griping it was lovely eye candy and good fun. Maybe the build up for it all was just so massive I was expecting a much bigger bang in the ‘reveal’. Definitely a nice tribute to the show no doubt. Who knows maybe the next season will clear up some of the questions it raised.

It would be nice to see more of The Curator. I did have visions of the Third Doctor and the Curator having some close friendship during the UNIT years that maybe influenced his choice of face during that regen. Opens up some fun plot line possibilities.

• EmbersToAshes says:

Yeah, I’ll at least be working with the revised numbering scheme. Everybody was calling him Doctor by the end, he lined up with the others – it’s almost downright insulting that Moffat refuses to acknowledge him with a number.

• DonnaM says:

Surely we’re never supposed to know “who” The Doctor is? Wouldn’t that be the fastest way to kill the show?

Unless you actually turned The Doctor into The Valeyard…. I did have a panicky moment when I wondered if that was the Moffat plan, but no; he adores the show, so does Capaldi, I can’t imagine they’d conspire in something that would very likely turn the majority of the audience, the “casual” viewers (like my relatives, most of whom say they’ll be watching at Christmas even if they didn’t have a clue what was going on most of the time) away!

As for that fellow Hurt – I thought he was blinking marvellous!

• Boffin says:

Yeah I gathered as I walked out that was probably why it had gone that way. Who is too popular to be building up to its ‘Finale’ at the moment. Despite the 13 lives dilemma they are going to have to sidestep deftly at some point. I guess I didn’t want it ALL answered just something a bit bigger than “Oh and Gallifrey is back”. Ultimately I really did like the Episode and all the nods etc. Just wanted some questions answered LOL. I guess I was expecting a bit of a Lungbarrow or something.

Still have a nagging feeling that it didn’t follow on very smoothly from Name of the Doctor. Do we know for sure they are off Trenzalore? Or still surfing the Doctors Timeline? Maybe the whole episode was just a dream (jk!!)

It was clever though to make it that way so all the “Casual” viewers they no doubt picked up for the Cinema screenings could enjoy as well!! Either way all shall be revealed eventually. And the Valeyard is on his way soon I think given the hints!!;)

• Boffin says:

The more it settles on me the more it grows on me. It seems Moffat has potentially left open some clever doors here when I think about it more. The John Hurt thing could be an excellent way to expand the franchise. If Hollywood was ever worried about being able to do a full scale movie for the franchise, because they don’t know how it would translate to a wide American audience with its lack of gun toting hero, Moffat just handed it to them on a plate.

We could have John Hurt become the Peter Cushing of our time. A well known actor playing the Doctor exclusively for a feature film franchise set in the height of the Time War. But one who has also been anointed with the brush of canon through the 50th. Might be a bit of fun to see Hollywood scale budgets doing something like that with the Timelords V the Daleks.

Maybe even have Daak in it LOL. (If we’re going to propose blood soaked Who for the yanks bring back the Chain Sword wielding maniac himself while we are at it!!) I am sure the purists will find this concept horrifying but hey ;P “Imagine Americans with the ability to rewrite Time” LOL.

Also I was in a loud cinema when I watched it so I totally missed the point that the Curator was a FUTURE regen of the Doc, until you pointed it out on the Podkast. That is kind of cool actually:)

As for the continuity stuff I am sure Moffat or other writers after him will go to great lengths to make it all work. Continuity is what makes fan driven shows so great (Love and Monsters?). One of the things I love about Star Trek is its well structured internal continuity. To just toss that out for Who and say “Well we only care about telling stories” would be a mistake. People like coherency to their fiction. Especially in an increasingly incoherent real world. Of course that is harder in a non linear Time Travel scenario but not impossible.

26. docwhom says:

Maybe they’ll link together the search for Gallifrey with the Doctor needing to get home to solve his regen limit problem.

• sw says:

Maybe when he finds and restores Gallifray as Capaldi he is rewarded by the Timelords with a new regeneration cycle, after all the Master was offered one to help the Doctor in the Five Doctors.

27. rickjlundeen says:

Some people are asking what’s the point of having Hurt in it when he ended up not pressing the button after all? The point IS, originally he DID and that’s not something McGann could have done, nor would McGann’s Doctor have fought in the war period, so there was a point, but here, 10 and 11 changed things and gave Hurt some redemption. In a way, yes, it was a waste of an incarnation in that the Doctor needed someone else to do his dirty work, and as seen in the Night of the Doctor, he was dead anyway, and that’s the only reason McGann relented.

• Boffin says:

True to a point. But one could argue relativity and causality here. DID he ever press the button? Or did he always get stopped by his future selves at that moment and in the confusion of the aftermath of both his memory taking a hit, from the Timelines being resettled and having the shock of a regeneration on top of this just flip on the scanner see the debris field and become the anguished Eccleston doctor freaking out that he had just killed everyone?

• EmbersToAshes says:

In that case, The End of Time could never have happened, as the Time Lords are now frozen in a moment, far from the war. Meaning no Gallifrey next to Earth, no Master crossing over to the war – essentially, it renders the episode null. Makes you wonder how and why Tennant regenerated in the new continuity. And what has become of the Master, as he couldn’t have crossed over Into the War.

(Correct me if I’m misinterpreting this)

• Boffin says:

LOL yeah right. Well there you go. Season 8 is going to be one helluva convoluted affair. Looking forward to it:)

• EmbersToAshes says:

In fact, the Master couldn’t even have had the Drumbeat embedded in his head to influence the negative aspects of his personality – with the Master feasibly now still around and no drumbeat, could we perhaps see him as a fully fledged protagonist? Again, I could well be missing something here, so please feel free to correct me. :)

• Bob James says:

Actually, at the point of “The End Of Time” taking place, the Doctor had not yet used “The Moment”. Remember at last mention, when Rassilon asked after him, he was “missing”. They knew he had the Moment, but he had not yet deployed it. No events except and other than the final outcome of the War, i.e. the use of the Moment, and the genocide of both Gallifrey and the Daleks, have been altered. Thus, “The End Of Time” and everything else, all events before it, remain as they were. Again, due to the Doctor(s) actions and intervention, the button was never pressed, the Moment was never deployed. It’s very likely that both events (As seen in “The End Of Time”, and “The Day Of The Doctor”) have now both played out concurrently.

• Bob James says:

As a concluding thought, Gallifrey goes back into the Time Lock, and is subsequently saved. The Master may yet have survived on the “frozen in a moment” Gallifrey. Not too hard to imagine he could find a way out of that. Rassilon? After a massive WTF moment, perhaps deposed, or contritely stepping down? There is no clear reveal as to whether Gallifrey is actively “frozen”, or whether the frozen “moment” repeats, as in “The Wedding Of River Song”. Are the Time Lords conscious in this moment, or in some kind of temporal stasis? We will have to wait and see.

• EmbersToAshes says:

Ah, well that keeps continuity nice and safe for me, I was concerned. I just hope we’re not subjected to another Master/Electro episode. How they turned the Master into a Heroes villain is beyond me. The lightning bolts sucked. It’d be interesting to see the Master in the form of a protagonist upon the return of Gallifrey – Capaldi’s Doctor and a new, older Master versus the likes of Rassilon would make a fantastic, more classic-feel episode. I really think Capaldi will be brilliant for the show, especially considering how great an actor he is, and his age. An older Doctor will be nice after Smith, and Tennant to an extent.

• TimeChaser says:

You might have a point. Watching it again, when the General says “To hell with the High Council, their plans have already failed”, what if that meant Rassilon’s End of Time scenario had played out and was stopped as we saw in The End of Time? I just wish we knew for sure what the exact sequence of events were.

28. David F says:

A line from Terror of the Zygons:

“When our planet was destroyed in a recent catastrophe . . . ”

Moffat must have access to a real time machine. Time War references planted in 1975 episodes. So at least it proves he ties up story arcs eventually, even if it does take a lifetime. (Literally. I was born on the day that line was broadcast.)

Day of the Doctor. Seriously classy. The nostalgia card was played lightly, but with great precision. Best of all, they didn’t rush the closing title, which meant we got to hear the middle-eight of the theme tune again, at last, and that was my greatest wish for the episode. Doctor Who always seems more epic and emotional when it’s included.

Could have lived without the tease of seeing Hurt begin his regeneration. Baker’s face and delivery regained the sprightly intensity of his TARDIS days.

29. rickjlundeen says:

I thought it was a very good ep and of course it will never please everyone—- nothing does, but the two most unexpected moments for me were the original opening theme starting things off and then the unexpected Capaldi appearance! It was cool that the Zygons finally got their return and really, you kind of wonder why they don’t return more often. The whole shape shifting nature has possibilities and you only have to look at Star Trek DS9 as an example. Tennant was always a big proponent of bringing them back and he finally got his wish!

I’ve already watched it twice for the sake of processing all the elements. And yes, they DID show a frame or two of Eccleston during the regen but so little that most people will miss it. Frankly, I could have used at least a couple more frames to cement it but at least we completists have all the puzzle pieces in place finally. As I voted above, while not the greatest ep ever, I thought it a fitting tribute. Wonder why 6 out of the 9 options are negative though…

• Bob James says:

As for the Eccleston issue, the investment is roughly, all things considered, equal to the return in this case. The amount of acknowledgement was appropriate.

30. Jon Roberts says:

I did enjoy it although there was a little too much corny dialogue between Matt and David, I think they could have toned that down a little, still a minor quibble overall it was a fitting episode.

31. Jan Bos says:

It was a great show with many little winks, but I expected more action, especially from Hurt.
    It was more soap than action. Great, but not in the way I hoped.

32. Geoff says:

I must say I have a really adverse reaction to continuity. I think it’s an allergy I developed around January 1985 and has got worse ever since…I don’t really want things to hugely contradict each other in major ways. For example if they just totally ignored the 12 regeneration thing and carried on without a word that would annoy me but in general terms I couldn’t give a toss if the events of Day of the Doctor muddle up the End Of Time. So what? I enjoyed both at the time I saw them and that’s what counts. If you take continuity seriously you can never enjoy Doctor Who because the whole thing is riddled with contradictions and rightly so because thats the cost of having different people with creative visions take the helm every few years. I’d much rather Mr Moffat wrote a good story (and he did) than clogged it up with dialogue or plot lines just to make sure it didn’t clash with something that was broadcast nearly 5 years ago.

• TimeChaser says:

I have the same issue. I don’t like how AHistory tries to cram every single piece of media into the continuity when a lot of its is contradictory.

We can just enjoy this special for what it is and worry about continuity another day.

33. Bob James says:

The attempts to reconcile continuity are fun, I really love AHistory in particular, but they shouldn’t be set in stone fun killers. A lot of it, the further one goes back, is pure speculation, because obviously those who were there in the beginning couldn’t have possibly seen anything coming. There is obviously all the media to take in and consider. In a sense, continuity is being created now, as modern Who attempts to join it all together. Now, with so much to look back on, they can have a sense of direction as to where it might go, and make it go there.

34. Geoff says:

I think you’re spot on there Bob, of course it’s fun to talk about how and where things fit together and gives us a chance to yammer on to like minds about our favourite show. I only dislike it when it starts getting used as a stick to beat the show with, which I’m sure you don’t do by the way!

35. Bob James says:

No beating, no sticks for the show, ever from me! I’ve even let up on poor Eccleston!

36. David F says:

Almost everyone was represented across the anniversary period: Hartnell got his biopic; Troughton was showered with attention for his two recovered stories; Tom Baker made his magnificent cameo; Peter, Colin and Sylvester were all over the interview circuit, and in their lovely personal project; McGann finally got his moment; Eccleston was endlessly debated, sneaked into the big episode as an archive clip, and gained pre-Rose context; Tennant came back; Smith showed what a superbly nuanced actor he is by holding the whole thing together.

Jon Pertwee has barely been mentioned. Shame. I guess it’s just the way the dice rolled. But when I noticed him in the lineup at the end of the episode I suddenly realised I hadn’t given him any recent thought at all. As the collection of Doctors swells, the attention is spread more thinly.

• Well there was that secret service WWII stuff released earlier in the year, and he’s had several big DVD releases. Coincidental, I’m sure, but perhaps he’s had more attention than the other classic Doctors over the past year?

• David F says:

Possibly. I just felt he’d fallen between the cracks a bit over the last few weeks. It’s maybe just an indication of how much the Who universe has expanded.

37. Geoff says:

I’ve just watched it again and might have to upgrade it to best episode ever. The skill in the plot building and pace was excellent. I really noticed how SM started the episode light, wise cracks, visual gags, sonetimes both toether eg 10s “thats a hole in the time vortex, anything could happen” at which point a fez drops out of the sky! As well as awesome action and then slowly stripped it away until the wonderfully emotional scene between Tom and Matt at the end. Not a dull moment, and by the way what great jokes there were. I think my favourite being when 10 is mocking Hurt Doctors accent and 11 replies “brave words there Dick Van Dyke”. Can’t believe I missed that the first time round.

38. Judith says:

Don’t get me wrong, I loved it because it was such an iconic episode and having the three doctors and the cameos made it even better. But did anyone else think Gallifrey still existing was a little too Hollywood? Too happy endingy…he suffered so much, so let’s make it so his people could still possibly out there….