Doctor Who dw-s8-50th-promo

Published on October 19th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

Trailer & Artwork Released For Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special!

The BBC has announced this morning that a trailer for the 50th anniversary special of Doctor Who will air on BBC One tonight!

Celebrating the last 50 years of Doctor Who, the specially created trailerwhich contains no actual footage from The Day of the Doctor – will air after Strictly Come Dancing tonight on BBC One and will be also be available on www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Accompanying it is the exclusive image above which was released today and features the 11 Doctors.

Travelling through time fans will be taken on a journey from the very beginning using state of the art technology. The special trailer is set to show all of the Doctors as they first appeared on screen, including William Hartnell in high res colour for the very first time, as celebrations ramp up to the 23 November.

As an official kick-off for the run up to the 50th anniversary episode, (starring Matt Smith, David Tennant and Jenna Coleman with Billie Piper and John Hurt), this trailer has been a long time coming. The Day of the Doctor will form the centrepiece – along with An Adventure in Space and Time – of a whole range of shows that have been commissioned across TV and radio to mark the anniversary.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

26 Responses to Trailer & Artwork Released For Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special!

1. Hi Christian!

Thanks for this exciting news! For those of us in Canada, specifically in the Eastern time zone, (GMT-5) at what hour will the commercial be going up?

I’m also preparing to do a presentation on 50 years of Doctor Who for my Communications class and in researching I heard a rumour that “a reliable source has said there will be an appearance by a Classic series Doctor, one who wielded a sonic screwdriver.” Have you heard anything about that?

Given that the BBC released a Doctor Who Fourth Doctor Video Collection promoted under the hashtag #theFourth, and he used a sonic screwdriver, and he was the most popular classic series Doctor, that he might be a good bet! What do you think?

Finally, will you, James and Brian be doing a live review of the trailer?
    Will it be a trailer or a teaser? With no footage from the episode I would suspect a teaser…

• Hallo! This is well past my bedtime, but here goes:

Strictly Come Dancing ends at 8.20pm, so that would be 3.20 for you, I think? As for the rumour, I’ve heard it. I’ve also heard it was a different Doctor. In fairness, there’s only Colin Baker out of the surviving Doctors who didn’t use the sonic at some point, so it could equally be 5, 7 or 8! Tom Baker would be interesting though. Who knows? ;)

Live review of this trailer? No. I hear it has a few scenes in it, so more of a long teaser really, trailing an episode with no actual footage!

• Thanks for the info, Christian!

I suspect it’s Saturday where you are, so sleep well! I’m setting an alarm so I can view it as I’ll be at the Geek Market tomorrow at that time. Dresses as the fourth Doctor of course!

2. avatar GallifreyanFallenAngel says:

I’m glad they included all Eleven Doctors in that image. :) I was worried the special would only bring up Ten, Eleven, and the Hurt incarnation.

3. avatar Lozzer says:

No actual footage from The Day Of The Doctor… May as well watch youtube compilations. Not good enough BBC.

• avatar Neu 75 says:

The “footage” of The Day of the Doctor is on in five weeks when it is actually broadcast. Why not wait, hmm?

4. avatar TimeChaser says:

So the BBC is basically doing their version of a fan-made trailer. Thanks for nothing, BBC.

5. avatar joesiegler says:

You guys should see it first before you mouth off about it. :)

• avatar TimeChaser says:

Oh I will see it, I’m just disappointed that there won’t be any footage from the actual special. I know some people think of trailers as spoilers and would rather not have them, but I enjoy them, they build up my anticipation.

• avatar Bob James says:

You would think, as I do.

6. avatar joesiegler says:

It won’t build any new anticipation. Safe money is on it already being as high as it will go for people who want to watch the show.

7. avatar BOJAY says:

I need that image on a nice 27″ by 40″ poster………..

8. avatar mrpurry says:

The perspective is so strange- or Matt Smith is a giant compared to William Hartnell.

9. avatar Drew Boynton says:

John Hurt is not in that image…I thought he was a Doctor…? ;)

10. avatar Ian says:

I am looking forward to seeing what they have done. Don’t judge it until you have seen it. Also the footage of William Hartnell in colour leads me to believe that the showing of An Unearthly Child on BBC 4 could be in colour, they did say they were having problems with the restoration…just a guess.

11. avatar DonnaM says:

To be honest I’m more pleased about this than I would be a straightforward trailer for the episode itself. That would just be another “coming soon” that doesn’t emphasise the history of the show, whereas this – this to me says “50 years! Big thing! Remember how great these guys all were?”

Of course that’s because I’m already quite sufficiently excited about The Day Of The Doctor. And the regeneration at Christmas. I can wait another week or two (my money’s on something next Saturday at the same time, by the way) for a couple of disjointed clips from the episode itself.

12. avatar Ian says:

They may even start a promotional campaign, advertising it on bill boards, sides of buses etc.

13. avatar McCoy says:

This trailer is a good thing, but of course, as always, I’;m sad to read fans moaning about how it’s not enough, blah-blah. You will get the actual 50th special trailers when it is appropriate; this will be the first thing shot across the bows, and over the next few weeks I’m sure actual trailers for the special itself will arrive. This is how TV works, you do not broadcast these sort of things ages before a programme airs, it makes no sense to. I do wish this whole issue would go away. Actually think about it a little before moaning, and moaning, and moaning again.

I can’t wait to see what they’ve done with this new special trail!

• avatar Lozzer says:

It’s not moaning for moaning sake, it’s just wanting something more from the anniversary year – you ask the average Joe on the street and they have not got a clue it’s the 50th anniversay, not that that bothers me, but come on, it’s time to at least show the trailer. Even when we had Christmas specials we got a little scene over a month in advance on children in need, and then the xmas special liked to wet our appetites with a few clips from the upcoming season. Clearly they’re holding back, and I trust the actual show will be amazing, but i’m not going to get excited about a minutes worth of clips at 8.20 tonight. I just hope they really do have a lot in store for us, because at the moment i’m a little underwhelmed with the promotions for next months anniversary.

• avatar TimeChaser says:

Especially since a lucky few have already seen a preview of the special at selected conventions. I think our gripes are reasonably justified. Its about a month away from the special, I would think within that time frame would be a good time to release a trailer.

14. avatar Ian says:

You have a point, go into a lot of stores and what is on the shelves is just like any other year.
    I expect tonight is to remind people its the 50th, then they will start trailering The Day of the Doctor.

15. avatar Ian says:

According to Dr Who Online: We believe a trailer will be airing either on Saturday 26th October or Saturday 2nd November.

• avatar TimeChaser says:

Well, as long as one is forthcoming, I am willing to tone down my childish whining. ;)

• avatar DonnaM says:

One month maximum before broadcast. Sounds about the norm to me!

16. avatar Ian says:

If you don’t ill send you to Trenzalore ;o)

17. avatar Tongmaster5 says:

Why is Matt Smith’s head nearly twice the size of William Hartnell’s whoever whoever created and whoever approved this image should hang their head’s in shame.