Big Finish SavedPicture-2013102574835.jpg

Published on October 25th, 2013 | by Meredith Burdett

The Light at the End Released Early!

So, as many of you may be aware, yesterday marked only one month until the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who. Whilst many of us around the world are drooling at the recent specially made trailer for The Day of the Doctor and waiting in anticipation for the 23rd of November to see the finished episode altogether and all over the world on the same day, Big Finish have decided to start the celebrations early with the release of their multi Doctor story, The Light at the End.

You read that correctly, the hotly anticipated adventure featuring the first eight Doctors as well as a myriad of companions and a very old enemy is now available for many to listen to and love. Big Finish’s Executive Producer Nicholas Briggs explained the reasoning behind the wonderful actions:

With the anniversary of Doctor Who imminent…and everyone champing at the bit for the celebrations to begin, we thought it only right and proper that our special anniversary full-cast audio should be released a tiny bit early. Our plans for this very nearly went awry when the company responsible for the physical production of our CDs (and LPs!), Key Productions, experienced a series of unforeseeable problems beyond their control. This is what has caused the slight delay on the Standard Edition and the slightly longer delay of the Vinyl Edition. But for all our customers who can access the digital versions of all these releases, they can listen straight away…We know that those customers who favour listening to the CD or the LP rather than downloading a digital version, might find this a little frustrating, but we thought this course of action would benefit the vast majority of our loyal listeners. We offer our sincerest apologies to any customers who find this decision doesn’t suit them, and hope they will understand our reasons for going ahead with the releases now.

The digital download version is now available for listeners to get and the Limited Edition CD began shipping yesterday. The Standard Edition CDs will start to be mailed out from Friday 25th October and the Vinyl Edition will be mailed from November 2nd. A full review will appear shortly on Kasterborous

Quite a treat indeed!

Tags: , ,

What happens when an eight year old kid watches the 1993 repeat run of Planet of the Daleks? He pretty much ends up here writing about the show that grabbed hold of him and never let go!

7 Responses to The Light at the End Released Early!

1. sw says:

So when will hit hit the shops, I have it pre-ordered from my local Waterstones??

• Francis Cave says:

From experience, Waterstones only ever carry a small selection of Big Finish releases.

I guess because this is a special release it may be one they decide to carry.

2. lozzer says:

I listened to part one last night and I have to say I’m really enjoying it thus far. I love the use of The Master in this story, the way he is portrayed here brought back memories from when I was a child and first watched The Keeper Of Traken and Logopolis. A happy customer.

3. Ranger says:

Argh!! I’ve over-spent on Christmas presents this month and really can’t afford to buy this at the moment. I’ve got to wait to pay-day. Damn Christmas!

4. STLShawn says:

I hear ya Ranger, I am so looking forward to this!

5. BOJAY says:

I know this is going to be good. This is the proper medium, in my opinion, for the larger multi-Doctor story that many fans wanted to take place. With an extended running time, the narrative can easily accommodate the many Doctors, and avoid the appearance issue. Big Finish has been good at these multi-Doctor stories, and Nicholas Briggs is the man for the job.

6. Christine says:

It’s a hoot! I am not going to review it here or bring up certain spoilery remarks but I can advise it to everyone. Also, if it’s in any way possible try and go for the special edition. It really is a lovely package including an excellent hard cover booklet, and it contains two documentaries, one the making of and one on Big Finish itself. I haven’t managed to listen to those yet (as the story came first), but I am very much looking forward to it. And then there’s a CD with a lost story of the first Doctor. A wonderful package with much to enjoy!