Doctor Who News Doctor Who chief Steven Moffat and a Dalek.

Published on October 3rd, 2013 | by Danny_Weasel

Steven Moffat Boasts 77 Million Strong Doctor Who Audience

In his interview with Nerd³ last week, Doctor Who head honcho Steven Moffat was quizzed with regard to the show’s ratings which have fallen under attack from certain areas of the press.

It’s only the papers that care – and it’s only a certain section of fandom that cares. The BBC knows exactly how huge Doctor Who is.

The Moff’s response to these nay-sayers is to look at the bigger picture, which in this case is an audience of 77 million internationally.  And in all honesty it’s not like the ratings are terrible, the lowest point for Series 7 was The Crimson Horror which still managed a respectable 6.47 million viewers, and that’s not counting iPlayer hits which could add up to another two million to the total.

An episode of The X Factor – no one watches again after its first week, our audience has migrated to the point where… more than half of our audience watch it later – whether it’s later that same day or later that week.

So have viewing figures dropped or have fans simply changed the way they watch the show? I know that in my house, many times, I have had to wait until my son was in bed so I had the required peace and quiet to watch an episode on iPlayer; am I part of the reason that figures are down?

How do you watch Who? Are you a dedicated live viewer or, like me do find there are simply times where iPlayer is the only way you can see it uninterrupted?

Tags: , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to Steven Moffat Boasts 77 Million Strong Doctor Who Audience

1. farsighted99 says:

I usually watch it live on the iPlayer, but sometimes I’m scheduled somewhere else at that time, so I watch it later on catch up. It really doesn’t matter, it’s the same show. However, I like to see it as soon as I can along with everyone else. It’s more exciting.

2. Bob James says:

But I thought the viewing figures were falling, and that certain doom was soon to follow………

3. Nicole says:

Netlix! I’m up to Episode 3 of Season 7! And, until I found out that Season 7 was on DVD (not streaming) I started watching Classic Dr. Who episodes. :) I’ve never seen it on regular TV.

4. Josh says:

I’ve never watched it when it airs. I always watch it later (on xbox video).

5. EJ says:

I have had to catch up on Netflix as I started watching at the beginning of this year and wanted to watch the whole series not just start on Matt Smith. I’m on Season 5 now, and once I get caught up I’m not sure what I’ll do. I’ll find a way to watch my favourite show though!

6. rickjlundeen says:

The media needs something to gripe about so they grab the overnights and launch on those figures—even though by now they should have the common sense to wait and factor in all the other data but hey, most of these places can’t let a little thing like facts get in the way of sensationalism.

7. Geoff says:

I always watch later on because my children are always being to manic when it’s on. I think The Moff is right about only a small section of fandom caring and I’d add it’s mostly my generation: people who remember what a big deal ratings were around 1986 onwards. Personally I recognise the world has moved on. Tom Spilsbury writes reams about ratings in DWM and I really wish someone wound tell him nobody gives a sh*t anymore!

8. Ranger says:

Erm, I do give a sh*t, because there will come a time when falling viewing figures kills the programme off – this is inevitable and happens to all programmes. I find the ratings stuff in DWM reassuring – at the moment.

9. Trey says:

What’s crazy is that in the US that Doctor Who is sustained on its ratings on BBC America.. The first ep of Series 7 garnered about 1.6 million and that was a record high for the series.

The 1996 movie on Fox got 5.6 million viewers and was considered a flop!!

Television has changed much since DW was cancelled by the BBC in 1989. And that’s people still watching DW on television we’re talking!