Doctor Who News Peter Capaldi 2

Published on October 7th, 2013 | by Alex Skerratt

Peter Capaldi: “Gentle, strong, powerful”

Peoples of the Whoniverse, do not fear: Peter Capaldi’s Doctor will be nothing like the foul-mouthed Malcolm Tucker from The Thick of It, owing to the fact that, actually, Capadldi is quite a nice chap!

According to the Thick of It‘s creator, Armando Iannucci , the 55 year-old actor will display a range of likeable qualities when he takes up the Time Lord mantle in December.

Speaking to the Metro, Iannucci said:

The thing about Peter as Malcolm is he is very angry, but he is actually a very gentle, funny guy. I imagine you will see that range of him going from being gentle to quite a strong and powerful personality and I am really looking forward to it.

This is indeed welcome news, as the thought of a red-faced Capaldi exchanging expletives with a pack of enraged Plasmatons isn’t a good one. Iannucci definitely thinks he’s the right man for the job, though. In fact, he’s surprised he wasn’t offered the job sooner.

I was slightly nervous when I thought he might get it and we were still making The Thick of It. There was a time when David Tennant stood down and I knew Peter would be really good, so when it did finally happen I was pleasantly surprised but it wasn’t a huge surprise because he would be tremendous.

It’s hard to disagree – Peter Capaldi will, indeed, be tremendous in the role, although we doubt he’ll be meeting any Plastmatons.

But you never know…

Tags: , , , , ,

likes William Hartnell, whisky, being creative, debating canonicity, The Gunfighters, The Keys of Marinus and City of Death. He has a strong dislike of cold quiche, corporate PowerPoint presentations and lanyards, but loves terrible puns. He's currently employed by a mute teddy bear with black ears.

5 Responses to Peter Capaldi: “Gentle, strong, powerful”

1. avatar Al says:

I find it hilarious that people think that just because he plays a certain character in a TV show no one outside the UK has heard of, that this is the only way he knows how to act. Ian McShane puts Capaldi to shame in Deadwood in the swearing department, but that doesn’t mean he swore like Al Swearingen in shows like Pirates of the Caribbean or Lovejoy. Watch Capaldi in The Hour, or in Local Hero, or Torchwood and Fires of Pompeii, or even in the interview he gave on Aug. 4. He wasn’t exactly a swear engine (see what i did there?) in those shows. The guy has range. That’s why he was cast as the Doctor.

• avatar Aly says:

I’ve been a fan of Peter Capaldi’s for nearly 20 years. I cannot wait to see his Doctor!
      Yes, he has range. To put it lightly, lol!

2. avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Started watching The Thick Of It after Capaldi’s casting and he is insanely funny in it. To be fair I’ve only seen him in that, Doctor Who and Torchwood, but even within these three roles he shows an amazing range. Can’t wait to finally see him as the Doctor and see what he’ll bring to the role and show!

3. avatar DonnaM says:

I always did love The Thick Of It; I’ve been re-watching since the announcement was made, and there’s ample evidence of Capaldi’s range just in that. However, I also watched The Hour, and his scenes with Anna Chancellor were the best thing in the show.

I listened to one of the episode commentaries the other evening too, in which Peter commented on the irony of being known for shouting so much as Malcolm because he’s always tried to avoid that as it’s “the easy option”. A Doctor who doesn’t shout to get his point across will definitely work for me!

4. avatar Wiwik says:

I think the trouble rather is that a lot of people have not the capacity to realize that an actor, like Capaldi, actually has range. That’s also how typecasting started.