Doctor Who News Doctor Who: The Moonbase

Published on October 7th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

Omnirumour Rumbles On, Press Event Postponed

It’s getting a bit sticky now. Following claims that missing episodes were about to be unveiled online following a press event on Tuesday, The Mirror reports that the BBC has rescheduled the event for the end of this week.

A BBC insider supposedly told The Mirror:

With all the excitement in the last few days about the lost episodes we are really keen to get the information out, but there are a few delays. We want everything to be ready and for this announcement to excite fans so they will have to wait a few days longer.

They have been waiting nearly 50 years for this, so a couple of days shouldn’t make any difference.

Oh dear. Someone has misjudged Doctor Who fans.

For the uninitiated, the report refers to the rumour – ongoing since 2011/12 – that lost episodes from the 1960s have been uncovered in places as far-flung as Singapore, Hong Kong, Ethiopia and Maltby, North Yorkshire (that last one might be wrong…). Despite endless denials from the BBC and people connected with Doctor Who, the rumour has somehow persisted.

The Mirror also claims that the BBC asked them to withhold details of the new press event, with fans learning which episodes have been uncovered by the end of the week.

Tags: , ,

33 Responses to Omnirumour Rumbles On, Press Event Postponed

1. Lozzer says:

And so it continues – i’ll keep the champagne on ice then.

2. Paul says:

If it was cancelled completely I might be fuming right now, but I can hang on a few more days…

3. yoyosi23 says:

Onirumour…Good word!

4. DonnaM says:

I’d prefer a flat denial to all this incessant to-ing and fro-ing! I’m trying to be positive and tell myself that yes, there really is something to be announced and they’re just keen to make sure everything’s right, but…

Call me a pessimist but it’s all a bit to reliant on “insiders” and “sources close to” for too much confidence yet!

5. Al says:

I just caught a whiff of barnyard in the air. Much as I’d love to see a bunch of episodes recovered, and I’m sure we’ll see at least a few more emerge eventually, this whole thing has the feel of “too good to be true.” Who is taking bets that if this ends up being a bunch of hot air that someone will try and blame Moffat?

• rickjlundeen says:

Even if everything goes right, they’ll blame Moffat. :)

6. rickjlundeen says:

Hope all of this fuss isn’t over what turns out to be a new 5 minute clip from The Underwater menace. They really must be locking down the lawyers and the signatures ate this point, crossing “T’s” and dotting “I’s”.

True, we’ve waited 50 years but if the extra couple delays is because some bozo in legal wants to make sure of something because of his OCD, people will understandably get angry.

• FrancoPabloDiablo says:

A 5-minute clip from The Underwater Menace 1 or 4 would be better than nothing at all. For a long time a 5-minute clip was all we had from Galaxy 4, and I as a fan was grateful to have it. A snippet is better than no existing material at all from an episode :)

7. Drew Boynton says:

I figured it out! They finally found a lost uncut, unedited version of Dimensions in Time! In 3-D!

8. vortexter says:

A delay like this is inevitable. They haven’t cancelled it, they’ve pushed it back a few days. I suspect they were caught a little quicker than they thought with the announcement and they’re getting things ready. Not much longer now, but I will confess, my nerves cant take much more of this…

9. vortexter says:

The Guardian says Thursday now with BBC worldwide holding a conference.
    Has anyone got a copy of The Times to see what they are saying? Tomorrows Times of course…

• Lozzer says:

The moment has been prepaired for…

• vortexter says:

Nothing is ever forgotten, not completely, and, if something can be remembered, it can come back…

10. rickjlundeen says:

Trying to think logically here, the build up has been SO enormous, for SUCH long period of time, that if there are more episodes that have been recovered, it must be a fairly sizable amount. If it were a small amount, they would have long since announced it but such secrecy, one tends to think the amount will be substantial. But what could be considered substantial? They keep saying 90 or 100 episodes but I’m going to guess that it’s maybe 2 or 3 Troughton adventures and perhaps a Hartnell adventure. Right there, that would be the biggest find in ages as it is. Lower that bar in anticipation so we’re not too disappointed….

• vortexter says:

It’s not a hundred or anywhere close. I guess around 25 or less episodes and if were lucky that will make 2/3 complete stories and a nice selection of orphaned episodes so we get a glimpse of certain stories.

• rickjlundeen says:

That’s what I’m saying, a couple Troughton Adventures and a Hartnell would account for maybe 20 to 25 episodes. Thanks to animation, we’ve got about half of the Troughton run put back together so a few more of his would be the biggest triumph of all.

11. rickjlundeen says:

Expanding on the logic–for what that’s worth, I think we can eliminate adventures such as the Ice Warriors, Moonbase or any other adventure that they’ve gone to such lengths to animate in the past year. It would seem to be a waste of money to go to that trouble if they’d been in negotiations for the actual film versions. ‘Course that still lends credence to the possibility of recovery to other Troughton adventures like Web of Fear, Enemy of the world, Power of the Daleks, Evil of the Daleks, who knows?

• vortexter says:

Web of Fear and Enemy of the World seem likely Rick but I’m hoping that there’s at least one episode of Marco Polo in the mix. Its the most copied story of all (27 copies I think?) and strange that not one clip exists.

• rickjlundeen says:

Agreed, it’d be excellent to have Marco Polo back and the really hopefully thing here–and maybe this is the big end of it, is that if a collection or a bunch of tapes have been found, it stands to hope and reason that maybe the episodes of each adventure were kept together so *maybe* whatever it is we’re getting could be entire adventures, as opposed to single episodes, a bit like getting the entire Tomb of the cybermen back in the ’90′s. the entire Marco Polo or any entire adventure would be fantastic.

• David F says:

Yeah, I agree. I looked at the list of missing episodes and asked myself which story would bowl me over the most. And I think it would be Marco Polo. Because it grew from Doctor Who’s roots, and is utterly unrepresented at present. And because, when I first bought Doctor Who magazine in 1986, it was a special feature on Marco Polo that made me aware that some old episodes were missing.

If, hypothetically, every missing episode were someday rediscovered, would some of the magic fade from being a Doctor Who fan? In a funny way, those gaps are a major part of this thing we love, and excite our imaginations. I wonder how it would change things.

• rickjlundeen says:

Would the magic fade? No, I think just the reverse—if every episode made it back and the whole collection was complete, I’d think that would be the true magic. I mean, it’s a crime that so many were allowed to be destroyed by careless idiots at the Beeb. I think that there’d be some adventures which would be far less than we thought and others that would exceed our expectations but in the end, there’d a be a ton of new, full adventures to watch.

12. Mark Lenton says:

Has everyone seen the Ian Levine Twitter meltdown. Poor Ian, inside I agree with what he says but it’s just the 10% of me and thankfully I have filters in the 90% which stop me going on like that.

• vortexter says:

Whats he saying Mark?!

13. lee moone says:

it seems latest rumblings is that it’s not 2 Troughton episodes to be released on i-phone but 2 Troughton stories. All of Enemy and all bar ep 3 of Web. Marco Polo is the other story found and no more. If it’s just those 3 stories that have been found, i’ll be happy! :)

Why i-player? Two reasons, it gets them out to fans quicker without classification and it’s a chance to recoup cash paid for them.

I think that the CO Yeti, that has been on hold for 2years will be a freebie with the web dvd release after its been downloaded & shown on BBC3 (see the as yet un-named Who programme in the anniversary celebrations)

• vortexter says:

One things for sure, there’s one heck of a story behind this whole thing. And if a week is a long time in politics, then politicians should try a week in the shoes of a Dr Who fan.

14. TimeChaser says:

And the slow path continues. Think I’ll go listen to some Big Finish to keep my sanity.

15. owen hayward says:

I don’t know if any newspapers or Who fans have tried what I’ve just did one hour ago, but its made me laugh alot to think I’ve just gotten away with it. I got the phone number for ertagov.com and e-mail too. I e-mailed them asking for any details and got no reply so I decided to call them! I spoke to a woman on the switch board who said she’d heard nothing about the station holding missing Doctor Who episodes, so I aksed him if I could speak to someone who might know. There was a bit of mumbling in the background and finally some guy came on the phone and after I aksed him for some details, god bless him he told me straight that their archive had up to very recently held over two hundred BBC films. These had been shipped off to the UK, the frist shipment going out in 2011. He would not say which specific stories were in the shipment since he didn’t bother asking his colleagues dealing directly with the details but he did tell me that there were a considerable number of Doctor Who episodes among the films and that if I was a fan I’d be extremely happy. I couldn’t believe this either – I asked him hwo many people had phoned the station since the story broke – he told me no-one! So there – I cut through all this red tape nonsense, and gossip with a simple phone call to the source!

16. zarbisupremo says:

Slightly off-topic, but did anyone see in the news last week that a long-lost 3 Stooges film had been found. It was found by an old Australian man as he was going through his collection to see what he actually had. Can’t help wondering if he’s got any Doctor Who.

17. drewboynton says:

After a nearly 100 year old copy of Fritz Lang’s Metropolis was found somewhere in Argentina (!) a few years ago, anything seems possible to me. Why couldn’t 40-50 year old DW episodes still turn up somewhere…has anyone looked under the sofa?

18. TonyS says:

I live in hope that “London After Midnight” and the Jack Hulbert version of “The Ghost Train” will turn up.

19. Ranger says:

I was a bit cynical about these rumours, but I have to say I’m getting cautiously optimistic now. Especially after Owen’s conversation.

I’m hoping for a complete Web of Fear.

20. Dan Hallett says:

BBC News now reporting that missing episodes have been found!!!!! details to be revealed later this week.

• David F says:

So it’s now beyond conjecture. Although I’m sure some people will contrive ways to extend their disbelief. The habit’s become ingrained.