Published on October 19th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

New Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Teaser Trailer [VIDEO]

If you missed the end of BBC One’s Strictly Come Dancing, you won’t have seen the new Doctor Who 50th anniversary teaser trailer – until now!

Starring Matt Smith and a host of familiar faces, this is the sort of stuff hat 50th anniversary dreams are made of – all the Doctors in a single nostalgic trailer. And a policeman from 1963…

We confidently expect more trailers to appear as the weeks go by and the countdown continues in the run up to November 23rd. Given the BBC’s programming, all of the books, audios and fan-produced efforts, 2013 is shaping up to be the most memorable anniversary of them all.

Tags: , , , ,

53 Responses to New Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Teaser Trailer [VIDEO]

1. sw says:

BRILLIANT TRAILER, Gets the point over and doesn’t give anything away, just what you need to build up to the event.

2. Mark P says:

Nice touch Sarah Jane being in it along with K9 and the switch from B&W to colour.

3. McCoy says:

Who is that with his back to us as we zoom in on Tennant?? I thought it was Jamie, looked like he was wearing a kilt, but now I don’t know…?

4. Paul roughton says:

Gave me shivers, really fantastic and I hope that is the new theme tune in the background because it’s bloody awesome!

Glad to see such quality from aunts, puts all the wannabe trailers on YouTube to shame which is as it should be

5. not_the_messiah says:

That was awesome!
    But who was that as the third Doctor? Certainly wasn’t Jon Pertwee.

6. TonyS says:

Portentous? Pretentious is the word!

7. Paul roughton says:

What, Jon Pertwee

Clearly him

• TonyS says:

From “The Sea Devils” I believe

And “Jamie” isn’t wearing a kilt… don;t know who it is.

• Ian says:

Yes and no, certainly the sword fight with the Master was in the Sea Devils, but he wasn’t wearing his cloak and that Console is strange.

• Not really. I think it’s fair to say that no actual scenes from Doctor Who’s 50 years appear anywhere in the trailer – it’s all composites. Brilliant, of course :)

8. Donna says:

That has whetted my appetite more than any bog-standard BBC promotional thingie!. Brilliant, BBC, blooming brilliant!

9. I think it’s a brilliant teaser! I love the concept and how it all ties together, with the stopped moment of time theme!

The floating Sonic Screwdrivers lends credibility to the rumour that there will be a sonic screwdriver wielding classic series Doctor appearing as well.

The image of Tom Baker’s Doctor falling was interesting in light of the prediction that The Doctor will fall.

This trailer literally have me shivers.

I’m so excited!

10. DonnaM says:

Far, far more exciting than any individual episode trailer. Lovely to see Sarah Jane – my all time favourite companion – and the wonderful Elisabeth Sladen honoured with an appearance. I’m properly excited now (as if I wasn’t before!)

11. TimeChaser says:

Well I’ll swallow my words now, and admit that was pretty darn good. It gives us a small insight into what the plot of the 50th will revolve around, and could even hint at the ‘new direction’ Moffat says they will take starting after the regeneration.

12. Paul says:

For the mystery man I’m kind of seeing alternate Brigadier from Inferno – but not sure!

13. Jim McLean says:

Good trailer to pause through – some really nice touches. Spot the key to time locator in Totters Lane? Subtle!

14. Neu 75 says:

“What was that bang big enough for you, Brigadier?”

15. I would just like to be the first to say:

SCREW YOU, SDCC!

;)

16. Matt Post says:

I think the mystery man (man facing Tennant) is John Hurt – Hurts doctor is wearing a sash (with sonic screwdriver in it) in the various publicity photos – the mystery man is clearly wearing a sash

17. Pretty underwhelmed. Shows absolutely nothing from the episode itself. Not terribly impressed. At least they didn’t hype this up as much as their daft little hashtag.

• David F says:

You’re going to see everything from the episode eventually. Why do you object to having it built up to in a patient, imaginative way? Isn’t it admirable that they’re doing things differently, rather than just showing us a bunch of clips?

• Neu 75 says:

#dullard

• Geoff says:

Blimey David, that’s a bit harsh. If you only want to see the actual 50th show just sit tight until 23rd November and you’ll get the whole thing. Just see this for what it is, a promotional teaser designed to evoke excitement and the brilliant heritage of this wonderful programme. I think it was excellent. I loved the B&W pan around Totters Yard, the Police Officer (what a nod to the shows origins!) and the frozen Doctors with their voices echoing Matts until suddenly there’s Matt, frozen too until he sudden reaches out and grabs the sonic, goosebumps stuff. This sort of material is a proper punch in the gut to all those years of ridicule we had to endure.

• David F says:

Exactly. Remember how the thirtieth and fortieth anniversaries were celebrated? No, me neither.

(Actually, I do remember the thirtieth, but it was so traumatic my brain has sealed it in a locked chamber to protect me from full recall.)

18. authorman94 says:

There’s been some discussion about this, but were Paul McGann and Peter Davison doing the vocal echoes for some of Matt Smith’s lines? Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but it sounds a lot like them to me at least (or could be the best impersonators of them in the world).

• BOJAY says:

Paul McGann had just spoken about something like that on Twitter, about a week or so back.

• Nando says:

Yes, I caught that too. That was Paul McGann’s voice as the echo at the beginning there.

19. rickjlundeen says:

They may have dubbed in some of the other Doctors voices in there very subtly but I didn’t really notice. I was too busy being impressed with the CGI Doctors. That’s why Pertwee and Hartnell look like themselves but a tiny bit off. They’re CGI presentations and great ones at that. Could be the first example of the new effects studio at work there. The guy with his back turned right before Tennant I believe is Hurt and that’s not a kilt. Excellent teaser and refreshing to not have anything spoiled for once.

20. vortexter says:

Fantastic! This gives me hope that the classics will all feature in one form or another in the special. I was watching this after having a meal in a family members house who are not particularly fussed on the show or the fiftieth and they admitted it was amazing and stopped talking to watch. Great stuff!

21. vortexter says:

Notice as well the Doctor mentioning ‘The Moment’? Rassilon says that the Doctor possesses it in the trapped Gallifrey sequences. Put’s a new spin on ‘It is the end, but the moment has been prepared for…’

22. Lozzer says:

Better than the clips montage we were expecting, not sure what it’s all leading to but you can see some work went into it. Now lets build on this and get the momentum rolling please.

23. GallifreyanFallenAngel says:

Wow, I feel much better about the special now. I saw 50 years in the trailer.

24. The GP says:

Web of Fear, Enemy of the World, a restored Terror of the Zygons and now this utterly beautiful piece of Who.
    And this is only October.
    I love this programme.
    What a time to be a Doctor Who fan.

25. David F says:

It’s really good to see some imagination coming into the advertising for this special. Far better than just having them show the usual clip-montage as a trailer. It does a great job of sewing together Who history, and I like the way Smith talks about “us”. It makes it really inclusive.

(It was a bit cheeky of the BBC to promote it by promising Hartnell in full colour for the first time, when as we saw was a still. I’m pretty sure we’ve seen colour photographs of him before . . . )

26. Simon Magellan says:

Very good – but one point – does anybody see McGann in there, or McCoy? I’ve looked at the stills and can’t spot them, though they may be shadowy like Troughton.

• David F says:

Yeah, McGann’s there. Keep your eyes on the left of the screen.

• BOJAY says:

McCoy’s there too, just a bit before that. Look for the him with umbrella, a bit to the left.

• simon magellan says:

Ah yes, got them now. Thanks.

27. Capaldikicksass. says:

Awesome The Eighth Doctor is behind the Ood!! glad they didnt leave him out!!

28. Ian says:

I know I’m going to miss Matt Smith. Amazing how much they included, However would of been nice to see Colin and Sylvester,

• BOJAY says:

Colin’s there too, though he goes by a bit quick. The Sixth Doctor has his back towards the camera, roughly centered.

• Ian says:

But its a body double again.

29. Ian says:

Just watched it again on my TV. Truly an amazing piece of work, they put a lot of effort into that and to include so much.

30. Jon Roberts says:

Loved the trailer, definitely made for 3D, although the 2D version still looks impressive. Cant wait, bring it on.

31. Chris says:

And again you have to pause in order to spot McGann. Its like the guys who put this together were done and then someone remembered “Hey. We forgot that one Doctor.” “Peter Cushing?” “No, the other one.” “Oh right. We’ll just stick him in the background somewhere.”

• And yet San Francisco is in the background for half the trailer…

• Gillian Who says:

ahhh but listen closely and you can hear McGann’s voice echo smiths….

• If you listen closer, it’s Peter Davison…

• Nando says:

I believe you are both right. It sounds like Paul McGann and Peter Davison voices are in the echos. Paul McGann made a reference to doing a Matt Smith voice over couple of weeks ago on his twitter account.

32. castellanspandrel says:

And is that the sign for The Cloven Hoof from the Daemons, bottom left in the Hartnell scene?

You can find something different every time you watch this.

I think this may be more than just a potted ’50 years in 1 minute’ ad for the special. While it may not contain scenes from the special as such, it wouldn’t surprise me to see the classic series Doctors represented in this way in the story; after all, Matt Smith hinted at something to do with pictures/paintings in the storyline.

33. Ian says:

Someone on my forum was listening to BBC 5 live,interviewing a member of the Dr who appreciation society said that the image of the 3rd Doctor is not actually Jon Pertwee himself but an actor actually made up to look like him.

34. castellanspandrel says:

Here’s a little article on how they made the trailer: http://www.framestore.com/work/doctor-who-day-doctor-50-year-trailer

35. castellanspandrel says:

…and here’s an even more revealing one, including the use of lookalikes, c/o Radio Times: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-10-22/behind-the-scenes-of-the-doctor-who-50th-anniversary-teaser-trailer-in-pictures