Doctor Who News Hello stonehenge 2

Published on October 30th, 2013 | by Alex Skerratt

Murray Gold: Musical Doctor Who Would Be “Fun”

Murray Gold has revealed that he’d be up for doing a musical episode of Doctor Who.

In an interview with CultBox, the long-standing composer admitted that an entirely music-based story, (in the style of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode “Once More with Feeling”), would be “fun” to do.

The Buffy episode in question featured a demon who compelled the series’ regulars to burst randomly into song, forcing them to reveal hidden truths. Despite being twelve years old, the story is fondly remembered for its originality and innovation, and has become a cult classic.

But whether David Banks’ Cyber Leader would ever be vulnerable to such satanic seduction is anyone’s guess. That said, Doctor Who is a show that is flexible enough to accommodate the quirkiest of plot devices, and a musical Twelfth Doctor outing would certainly be entertaining.

Get to it, Murray!

Read the full interview at CultBox.

Tags: , ,

likes William Hartnell, whisky, being creative, debating canonicity, The Gunfighters, The Keys of Marinus and City of Death. He has a strong dislike of cold quiche, corporate PowerPoint presentations and lanyards, but loves terrible puns. He's currently employed by a mute teddy bear with black ears.

14 Responses to Murray Gold: Musical Doctor Who Would Be “Fun”

1. avatar lozzer says:

I loved the Buffy episode, but I think it worked because that show had such a large cast. You’d probably have to have Vastra, Jenny and Strax involved too to make it really work. It also needs to be done with a heavy dose of humour, otherwise it’ll end up being a cringe-worthy mess like The Rings Of Akhaten.

2. avatar Ranger says:

I loved the Buffy episode also, but I really couldn’t see this working for Doctor Who. Buffy had an innate comedy feel to it, which DW hasn’t – even if it has comedic moments in it; overall I think DW is too serious for such a gimic to work.

3. avatar TonyS says:

Oh please no! Of course the programme’s composer is going to think a musical episode would be ‘fun’. The programme should be innovative not imitative!

• While I would personally agree with you, the problem with that prescription is that it cancels out the Hinchcliffe years… :s

• avatar TonyS says:

Yeah good point. Alright then I’ll change my plea. Please do not carry out this piece of imitation!

4. avatar DonnaM says:

It could be fun. It could also be a flaming disaster. Personally I’m inclining toward the latter!

5. avatar SandraL says:

I can’t see them doing something just like the Buffy episode, but what if they visited a planet where the inhabitants communicated only with music? Rather than just compulsively bursting into song, the Doctor and companion would have to struggle to communicate with the inhabitants at all… I could see that working.

• avatar TonyS says:

A planet like Akhaten perhaps?

6. avatar Keith Andrews says:

It could work. Big Finish did Doctor Who and the Pirates which was brilliant. But the songs in the Ultimate Adventure on stage weren’t that great.
    Plenty of ways to get music in to the story. About time the Doctor met Mozart? Mozart travels in the Tardis and discovers synthesisers and electric guitars. Holst really did have motivation for writing the Planets?

• avatar BOJAY says:

Big Finish did manage to pull off something unique with “Doctor Who and the Pirates”. I went in skeptical, but was quite surprised at how much I enjoyed it. The difference with Buffy is that Joss Whedon is also a musician and songwriter, and so he kept things spinning within the context of a story. Is Moffat a musician? A songwriter? I haven’t ever heard that mentioned.

7. avatar GallifreyanFallenAngel says:

One day, I would want to watch a Doctor Who episode with minimal dialogue and a quiet background score. Not sure why, just seems like a cool idea.

• avatar BOJAY says:

Again to cite a Buffy example, perhaps something along the lines of “Hush”? It would be a feat to pull that off on Doctor Who without it being imitative. But it could be interesting, though, storytelling without words.

8. avatar anonymous says:

Great! I love unusual episodes here and there.

9. avatar Christine says:

How about the Doctor meeting Puccini? A rather innovative composer and why shouldn’t he inspire Tosca to be written…