Doctor Who News Doctor Who: The Power of the Daleks

Published on October 7th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

Missing Episodes Returned? What Is Going On?

Well I don’t know about you but I had to take a step back from the madness of Doctor Who yesterday amid cries of victory in the ongoing war against time and the missing episodes. Have lost portions of the show’s history been miraculously rediscovered?

In advance of a later article in which we’ll attempt to explain just why there are 106 missing episodes of classic Doctor Who, we’re first going to flip things a bit. There are voices of dissent among the ranks; however, these are notable voices.

For instance:

Doctor Who Magazine editor Tom Spilsbury.

Brand Manager Edward Russell.

Restoration Team man (and therefore someone likely to be closely involved with any discovery) Paul Vanezis.

So, what IS going on? Have these episodes been found or not? Are these three chaps being deliberately misleading? It seems unlikely that they should at this stage, given that elements in the press claim that the ship has sailed. With a speculated release date of Wednesday it would seem churlish for anyone to continue with any pretence.

The truth, then, is really that nothing has really changed since last week. There is a rumour about missing episodes being found. There is some sort of screening taking place in the coming days (it might be a hotel, it might be at the BFI depending upon who you believe) and the episodes might be released.

Until we can actually access these videos on iTunes, Amazon or wherever, they remain missing.

We await official confirmation with bated breath.

Tags: , ,

16 Responses to Missing Episodes Returned? What Is Going On?

1. TonyS says:

I would love this to be true. But I am extremely sceptical.

2. Richard Thomas says:

If there’s nothing after all this Tuesday or Wednesday then its game over for me and time to quit the internet forums for Who news of any kind I am afraid. I will revert to getting my news from Doctor Who Magazine and that’s it! I go from elated, and yesterday – highly emotional – to crushed beyond belief every time I log on and just cant take much more. I would far rather Classic Who be confirmed as returned for a 50th Birthday present to the long term fans than just get to see what the beeb has planned for on and around 23-11-13. P-L-E-A-S-E let at least some of it be true. Personally I would send the new British FBI after the hoaxers if its all just a wind up on a massive scale. So come Tuesday / Wednesday will I be (:->} or (:-<} ???

3. Dan Hallett says:

I don’t know what to believe anymore but I will say that it would be an odd move for the BBC to finally reveal a haul of missing episodes and dump them straight onto I-Tunes. I would think they would go through the usual tidy up ready for DVD releases next year. I don’t know how lucrative the classic DVD range is but they could milk another year’s schedule out of these episodes so I just cant think I-Tunes or even I-Player would be the way they would go. Of course being the 50th they may televise a complete story?

4. TonyS says:

If they all turned up we would have 24 more complete stories. Two more years worth of releases. Dare we hope?

• Dan Hallett says:

24 more stories, more shelf space needed, please be true. There is always hope.

5. David F says:

We haven’t yet had releases of the Galaxy 4 and Underwater menace discoveries from a couple of years back. If iTunes release is an option for missing episodes, I wonder why they haven’t already received the same treatment.

• GlassworX says:

Actually, the Galaxy 4 missing episode was released on the Aztecs special edition earlier this year

• David F says:

Ah, well. Ignore my comment, then. I didn’t know that.

6. Colin says:

The story that they’re releasing these missing episodes to folks in the UK via the BBC iPlayer is, perhaps, the most bizarre part of the rumor (as I’ve heard it), and the part I really hope is NOT true. Given that I can pick up Classic Who DVDs in my local branch of a popular consumer electronics store in my small back-woods town here in the US, I don’t think sales of Classic Who are too shabby on this side of the Atlantic. I’m sure the same can be said for other parts of the world. Why they would only release restored missing Classic episodes to UK residents I can’t imagine.

It’s fun to think there might be more episodes to come, and it’s interesting to see all these news outlets picking up on the story. But given the state of journalism these days, I remain skeptical until there’s an official announcement. In any case, what difference does knowing make to me? Until I have the alleged episodes to watch, it’s all just anticipation and excitement. I suppose if I know they’ve found all missing episodes of The Abominable Snowmen, I can abandon making my own telesnap reconstruction. Apart from that, it won’t hurt to wait and see. :)

• Al says:

Yeah, all these media outlets are picking up the story, but nearly none of them are bothering to actually do research on their own and find out what’s going on. They’re just for the most part parroting the People article.

7. rickjlundeen says:

We’re just spinnin’ our wheels, folks……

8. Ian says:

Releasing the episodes via itunes or iplayer wouldn’t require them to have submitted the episodes for BBFC approval months in advance. If negotiations went on quite late, that might be the only way to have got them out before the anniversary/Xmas. Not to mention, BBFC classifications are public, so they couldn’t have kept the secret.

9. johnnybear says:

Who is spitting out these rumours and if they’re not true (like we all suspect) then why do it and get the media services involved too?

10. TonyS says:

media gets involved to boost circulation- unfortunately it works!

11. vaffangool says:

Because @StewartLundNZ refers to the ostensible recovery site, his question is essentially worthless; its unnecessary specificity affords @PaulVanezis the latitude to respond without evasion and mislead without dishonesty.

Whether the materials were found in Ethiopia, Sierra Leone, or Adrian Edmonson’s upstairs toilet, BBC News are themselves reporting that indeed,

A number of early episodes of Doctor Who, which were believed to have been permanently lost, have been returned to the BBC.

• vaffangool says:

Worthless may have been a bit strong–his question did exclude Ethiopia as the source of the recovered materials.