Doctor Who News dw-dr-amy-rory-wedding-hp3

Published on October 21st, 2013 | by Danny_Weasel

Gillan: Matt will always be my Doctor

Everyone’s favourite red head has openly declared that Matt Smith will always be the Doctor to her. Chatting recently on the promotion trail for her movie Not Another Happy Ending, Karen opined the departure of the Eleventh Doctor.

“It’s weird that he’s leaving, because to me he is the Doctor and he always will be. But I’m biased, I guess!”

Karen, who played companion Amy Pond for two years opposite Matt Smith, also revealed that she has accepted the fact that she is a nerd.

I never ever considered myself a sci fi geek, but the more I talk about it with people I’ve worked with, I think I am!…OK, yes, I’m definitely a nerd!

The former Pond also commented on the casting of Matt’s replacement, Peter Capaldi, saying that she felt the casting was amazing and that Capaldi would bring a very different feel to the Doctor.

A lot of people associate him with Malcolm Tucker who’s very grumpy, but that could work for the Doctor.

The news of Karen’s feelings for her Doctor comes as no real surprise I suppose, we all have a special bond to our first Doctor, for me it’s Sylvester McCoy, for my son it’s David Tennant and my wife has Eccleston.  So it will also be true for companions; Fraser Hines and Pat Troughton, Katy Manning and Jon Pertwee.

Their Doctor will always be THE Doctor.

So who is your Doctor? Is your favourite different from your first? Let us know below and share those memories.

(Via Yahoo News UK.)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

21 Responses to Gillan: Matt will always be my Doctor

1. avatar JB1982 says:

My Doctor is the Tenth Doctor. I started watching Doctor Who upon it’s return in 2005 so whilst the Ninth Doctor was my first Doctor it wasn’t until Ten’s arrival that I became a fan. It was the Tenth Doctor that kept me watching and got me interested in Classic Who.

2. avatar DonnaM says:

First – Tom Baker. That Pertwee/Tom regeneration is one of my earliest vivid telly memories.

Favourite? Patrick Troughton. Charm, mischief, that ever-present sense of adventure, and under it all the intelligence and the moral force, always there but so lightly worn. I love Tom – I love most of them – but the Second Doctor still sets the standard for me!

3. avatar cgrit says:

Difficult, difficult. I like them all, but if I have to choose it would be Tom Baker as he was THE DOCTOR while I was growing up. But, admittedly, Christopher Eccleston was pretty impressive. I just adored this sometimes angry, very emotional, Doctor. Especially in Dalek. Like Tom’s scene “Have I got the right”?” , Christopher’s “why don’t you just die?” to me are crucial moments in the series.

4. avatar authorman94 says:

My first Doctor was Jon Pertwee, first stories of Who I saw were The Three Doctors and The Five Doctors.

My favourite Doctor on the other hand, and it’s a controversial opinion I’m sure, is Paul McGann, he absolutely got it right in one go during a very confusing and complicated TV Movie and has proved his worth ten times over with the audio dramas. I love all the Doctors to be truthful, but McGann’s become my favourite overall.

• avatar cgrit says:

And why not? He was excellent and still is – just listen to Dark eyes! As I said, I love them all as well, but one can’t help having one or two favourites! Often enough the first, but obviously it doesn’t have to be that way!

5. avatar docwhom says:

My favourite Doctor was Peter Cushing.

His era was the only one where the show was written properly. None of the silliness about the lead character being an alien or granddaughters being grown up. None of the credibility gap posed by the impoliteness of introducing yourself without your surname. If I walked into my new GP’s surgery and she introduced herself with just “Hello, I’m the Doctor”, I’d have said “That’s pretty obvious, isn’t it? Which Doctor, please?”

This era also saw by far the best models and props of the Sixties. My only caveat about the Cushing era is that I think they overused the Daleks.

• There is no Doctor called Peter Cushing….

6. avatar rickjlundeen says:

Tom Baker was my first Doctor and I think he was *best* as well as the last of the *original* takes on the character. Every actor since brought a little something to it—some more than others but the first four, Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee and Baker were really the originals that set all the ingredients for the master template for the future portrayals.

Troughton runs a *very* close second, almost a tie as his was maybe the most important incarnation in the shows history, showing that you indeed could accept another man in the role of the lead character. A lesser actor might have brought the show down and it never have even reached the 1970′s, one never knows.

Finally, Matt Smith is my number three. He brought a very special something to the role that no one ever quite effectively managed as well—appearing so young yet so, so old at the same time.

7. avatar Bookhook says:

I think David Tennant is my fave with Smith running close second. I started with Eccleston, and he was good also. The reson why is because with David I felt captured by his Doctor’s personality almost immediately. It took me 11 episodes to feel captured by Matt’s Doctor’s personality. Plus, I live in the U.S., and I’m going to be the 10th Doctor for Halloween!

8. avatar Elizabeth says:

I love all of the Doctors but Matt is my favorite. He truly is an old man in a young man’s body. Plus, he’s very expressive and physical. IMO, his acting is so impressive!

9. avatar Al says:

The risky thing with the upcoming changeover is this time a huge percentage of the audience signed on with Matt Smith, and the jury is out as to whether they’ll accept someone new. There are those who refused to watch after Tom Baker left, and it could be argued that the original series’ slow fade began then. Others traded in their TARDIS keys when Tennant left and haven’t been back. A regeneration is a very exciting, fun time for committed and longtime fans, but it’s also a scary time too because we need only look at the show’s collapse during the Colin Baker era (when it was actually cancelled at one point before the BBC walked it back to a gap year), from which it never really recovered during the McCoy era, to see how viewers can turn their backs even to Doctor Who.

• Well those who “traded in their TARDIS keys” after any regeneration are not Doctor Who fans in my opinion. They are fans of particular actors, not the show. Some Doctors we will love more than others but there is no such thing as a “bad Doctor”,

As for your second points the programme has had some ups and downs during its long history, but no matter how long the gap, the audience will be as large and enthusiastic as ever when Peter Capaldi emerges in August in his first episode.

8 months is nothing compared with what happened between 1989 and 2005! Plus we’ll have more missing episodes to catch up on ;)

• avatar DonnaM says:

is there really such a huge percentage who signed on simply because of Matt’s portrayal? I know as many people who were turned off by it as turned on; and as for the ones who stopped watching when Tennant left, they’re Tennant fans not Doctor Who fans.

I know quite a few non fans who’ve said they’ll give the series a chance again once Peter Capaldi’s on board; and with all due respect to Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy, who were badley let down by their scripts in my view, I think he’s a much better actor, too!

10. avatar smbcomix says:

My first Doctor was David Tennant, and I didn’t know a lot about the show at the time. However, after some research, and watching “Amy’s Choice” (which gave off a sort of retro vibe to me, probably because of the location and how the film was colored) got me into Matt Smith’s Doctor… and I pretty much adopted Matt Smith as MY Doctor.

That said, I’ve seen and love ALL the Doctors at least once now, some I like more than others, but Matt Smith will always be my Doctor. He got my fanboyishness cemented into this series in ways Tennant never could.

11. My first Doctor was Chris Eccleston back in 2005 and then he regenerated into David and I loved him so much and I was so sad when he left and I was almost certain he was my Doctor.

But then Matt came along and I just fell in love with him and for me, Series 5 was just about falling in love with Matt more and more and I still love him now and I know that this time I am certain that he will be my Doctor.

12. My first Doctor was Patrick Troughton, but I was four years old when he started, eight when Jon Pertwee took over the reigns, and twelve when Tom Baker began. And I love all three of them equally! They are my Doctors! :)

13. avatar Philip Bates says:

Matt is My Doctor, and he always will be. But I still love them all. Favourite Doctor rankings, in my opinion, always change whenever I watch an episode! Watching The Sea Devils today and I’m thinking, ‘Pertwee was fantastic, wasn’t he?’ Nonetheless, frequently in my Top Three are Matt Smith (obviously), Peter Davison and David Tennant.

14. avatar Adam says:

Tom Baker was my first as a kid watching reruns on TV. To this day I love Tom’s episodes. #4 will always be my favorite, but I have loved all the Doctors. Matt ranks right up there at the top of the list though.

15. i became a fan during the dark times in the 90′s i watched bootlegs i would get from an old guy at a video store and he would give them to me out of order so i have no doctor, the first thing i saw was the 5 doctors

16. avatar Nat says:

Im only 18 and I have watched religously since Eccleston but Matt Smith is my Doctor. What he brings in comedy as well as seriousness is just magical. Plus the introduction of the silence makes him fight better monsters

17. avatar morganfm says:

Matt Smith’s Doctor was my very first (The Doctor’s Wife – at the time, I thought it was a movie! – then a while later an all day marathon leading up to the airing of A Good Man Goes To War.) SUCH an awesome introduction to the show. It may also have a lot to do with my obsession over River Song. Back to the point: Matt will always be my first and favorite Doctor, because of his brilliant energy and absolutely stellar portrayal of “an ageless god who insists on the face of a twelve-year-old”. However, in regard to companions, as much as I love love love the Ponds, I have to name the one and only Donna Noble as my favorite. Catherine and David are just brilliant together (you have GOT to see them in Much Ado About Nothing!), and besides that Donna makes me laugh and cry and understand more than ever who the Doctor is in that moment – and she does the same for him.
    So yeah that’s my super ADD fangirly response lol.