Doctor Who News Deborah Watling as Doctor Who companion Victoria

Published on October 9th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

Doctor Who Missing Episodes Event on Thursday?

While we’re currently unable to confirm how accurate this is, an update on classic Doctor Who actress Deborah Watling’s website indicates that the BBC will be unveiling the returned missing episodes tomorrow afternoon.

Watling – who appeared in Doctor Who from 1967 to 1968 in the serials The Evil of the Daleks to Fury of the Deep – will apparently be attending an event with Frazer Hines (companion Jamie McCrimmon):

Deborah, along with Frazer Hines, will be helping the BBC to launch the newly found Dr.Who episodes this Thurs (10/10/13), betwwen [sic] 3.30pm and 7.00pm approx.

Watling’s character, Victoria Waterfield, first appeared in The Evil of the Daleks episode 2, which is currently the only episode of that serial that the BBC are known to hold a copy of. While it would be extremely exciting if the remaining six episodes of this serial were to be returned, we’ll just have to wait and see what (if anything) transpires tomorrow…

(Thanks to Joe)

Tags: , , , , , ,

49 Responses to Doctor Who Missing Episodes Event on Thursday?

1. Matthew Kresal says:

Forgive me but Watling’s character was also in The Tomb Of The Cybermen (which is complete), the four surviving episodes of The Ice Warriors, and the single surviving episodes of The Abominable Snowmen, Enemy of The World and The Web Of Fear.

2. Mark Lenton says:

“Watling’s character, Victoria Waterfield, only appears in a single episode that the BBC is hitherto known to have a copy of: The Evil of the Daleks episode 2″.

I’m not sure that’s right :-) Abominable Snowmen, Enemy of the World, Ice Warriors, Tomb, Web of Fear – we have episodes of already….

• It’s nonsense, isn’t it?

What the heck? Early. Sorry all.

• Oh! THAT Deborah Watling!;-)

• Mark Lenton says:

You’re just checking we’re paying attention right?

3. DonnaM says:

It certainly would be exciting to get the rest of Evil of the Daleks back, but I’m just thrilled there’s anything! Deborah and Fraser being in attendance strongly implies a Troughton find; I’m trying to stay low-key about all this, but it seems like quite a big do just to reveal a random orphan episode or two

4. Just how much confirmation do you need, since the BBC has now made an official statement?

• DonnaM says:

They’ve confirmed that “a number of missing episodes” are now found. I’ve yet to see any official reference from them to this Thursday event; I assume the question mark relates to that.

5. Uberduck says:

Best case scenario : all the missing eps returned… Worst case scenario : there really isn’t one! Even if it’s only 2 episodes it proves there are still recordings out there waiting to be rediscovered. The eternal optimist in me hopes that with the new global awareness of the show more and more will come to light over the coming years… maybe 10 years from now the entire back catalogue will be complete and the searching and hoping will finally be over :) We can but dream.

6. Colin says:

Didn’t Watling and Hines present the missing episodes documentary on, I think, the “Lost in Space” DVD set? My memory might be confused, but if I’m correct, that might be the reason they’ll be there. Of course, I think the chances of Troughton episodes NOT being amongst the find are very, very slim.

• joesiegler says:

Wouldn’t that be a kicker? Of the stuff found, all of it was Hartnell and nothing Troughton.

Not that I think that is happening, mind you – but still. :)

• Colin says:

It would! Mind you, if it included, say, Dalek Master Plan, The Myth Makers, Massacre, or Tenth Planet Episode 4, I don’t think anyone would complain too loudly! :)

7. I think that the way that the BBC have handled these past few days is nothing short of a disgrace. A rumour of this magnitude that’s been rumbling on for years finally seems to bear fruit, but rather than confirming categorically that something has bee recovered, quantities and what exactly they string us fans along even longer, announce, re-schedule, delay, etc.

Personally this is far more interesting than any of the offerings that the BBC have “given” us for the TV celebration of the series.

• David F says:

Oh, come on. A “disgrace”? They just wanted the announcement to be organised and meaningful, and not be railroaded into a slapdash, piecemeal announcement. I can’t believe people are trying to extract negatives from the return of old episodes.

Also, we haven’t seen any of the things they’ve organised for the celebration, nor even been told everything that’s going to happen. Be happy. Everything is fine.

8. Jason Z says:

I don’t know if anywhere else is saying there’ll be an announcement on Thursday or not, but the Guardian is, at least: http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/oct/07/doctor-who-early-episodes-recovered-bbc

9. TimeChaser says:

Since Troughton’s era bore the brunt of episode destruction, I hope that out of whatever they’ve found, he is represented most.

10. rickjlundeen says:

I’m sticking with my earlier guess that we’ll have two Troughton complete stories returned and one Hartnell. Although no mention of William Russell or Carole Ann Ford attending tends to make me wonder if it’s not all Troughton–which would be great anyway. Come on, announcement!!!!!

11. lozzer says:

Why are the BBC going to charge us to watch these episodes online? Surely they should air them on one of the BBC channels… what are we paying our TV licence for? Oh yeah, so they can pay Gary Lineker millions each year.

12. Al says:

My money is on Underwater Menace being completed, at least, as BBC Worldwide has yet to announce any sort of DVD release for its surviving episode other than some vague “in 2014″ indication. If they knew they were getting the whole story back, I could see them holding back on a release of that one. The lack of Carole Ann Ford or William Russell is dimming hopes of Marco Polo being part of the cache.

• TimeChaser says:

I wonder if they’ve found The Tenth Planet Ep 4, because the DVD has disappeared from the release schedule on the Doctor Who News Page.

• Colin says:

I think it’s been postponed–but that doesn’t invalidate your point.

• Review DVDs have already been shipped… If it has been postponed, it’s very late in the day!

• Colin says:

OK. I seem to recall it was originally going to be released in October, and now it’s scheduled for mid-November? That’s what I meant by “postponed.” This would fit a time-frame where a complete Tenth Planet could be released after the announcement–but if review copies have already gone out, then that’s that. Thanks for keeping us straight, Christian. :)

• Simon Magellan says:

They have announced that they plan to animate Underwater Menace (this has been reported here). It and The Moonbase will be out next year. They have said these will be the final animated stories. Which begs the question of why not The Crusade? My thinking here is because it’s missing episodes have been found.

• Mr Paddy says:

Thank goodness some enterprising soul leaked Underwater Menace episode 2 online. I hope that story gets completed, it’s really rather good.

13. rickjlundeen says:

Well, I won’t be buying them on iTunes, I’ll be waiting for the DVD’s. Just knowing they’ll be coming i good enough.

• Simon Magellan says:

The classic series eps on iTunes tend to be non-restored versions, so it’s possible if this is the plan, it’s so they can be released quickly with fully restored DVD releases over the next couple of years. But then the iTunes story has not been confirmed.

14. rickjlundeen says:

and since Watling and Hines are there, I’d wager it’s mostly the second Troughton series they’ve found, anywhere from Evil of the Daleks ending the first series through Abominable Snowman, Enemy of the World, Web of Fear and Fury from the deep.

15. Howard Railton says:

There is something very odd about this lot. Why hang on to Underwater Menace for soooooo long? Even if they’ve discovered all of Evil and Web of Fear, say, chances are they’d never bring them out anytime soon. Hopeless BBC! Only they would decide that the way to celebrate the 50th Anniversary is to show a truncated season a curio on the night.

After all these false rumours it’s certainly no good getting over excited as yet.

16. vortexter says:

Anneke Wills apparently has now been linked to a screening. Power of the Daleks anyone?…

• vortexter says:

sorry, should have said its on her twitter account!

• joesiegler says:

I am so hoping for Power of the Daleks Episode 1. All during the years I’ve been a Doctor Who fan (I started watching in 1983), the one episode I’ve always wanted recovered more than any other is Power Episode 1.

• vortexter says:

I hope you get your wish Joe! personally I’ll be happy with whatever they’ve got but Power would be awesome. Should find out tomorrow!

• joesiegler says:

I agree, I’ll be happy with whatever it is for sure. But if you want to give me a choice, I choose that one. :)

• Colin says:

Oh yes–Power of the Daleks is at the top of my wish list. And while episode 1 would be good, I’m greedy. I want the whole story! :D

• David F says:

Or maybe they’ve just invited all surviving black-and-white era companions, regardless of the episodes, to add to the celebratory nature of the event.

17. TonyS says:

Fly, my winged monkeys. Travel the ineterwebnetthingy and bring back information, rumours, downright lies. Feed my voracious appetite for speculation :)

• vortexter says:

Oh dear! I tend to find a positive anything is better than a negative nothing Tony…

• TonyS says:

I agree

• TonyS says:

My comment wasn’t intended to be negative. I was (clumsily) expressing glee at all the information coming out at the moment.

18. joesiegler says:

Whatever happens, it will mean that the third edition of “Wiped” will require a LOT of editing. :)

19. Geoff says:

I just really really hope it’s not just 10 minutes of untransmitted material of Paul Darrow from Timelash!

20. Andrew G. Dick says:

Anything with Victoria Waterfield in a short skirt would do for me!

• TonyS says:

So Danger UXB then?

21. Gruff says:

What’s the score?

Any updates as yet?

22. TonyS says:

My winged monkeys have gone strangely silent…

23. Jammymon says:

It has been quiet, but I have just found out there is going to be an embargo on revealing them till midnight tonight! Can’t wait, I hope we get an episode of The Web of Fear or Power/Evil of the Daleks :D

24. TonyS says:

Oh well. No doubt we shall hear in the morning and spend the next few days bemoaning the episodes that weren’t recovered rather than delighting in the ones that were. Humans, eh?

25. rickjlundeen says:

Speaking from a promotional vantage point, if I’m the BBC, I stretch this out into a string of announcements. wattling and Hines are attending so one might deduce the findings are from their shared era. Then you have another appointment with Ford and Russell and yet another with Hines and Wills, etc. wishful thinking but leading up to the big anniversary with a big announcement each week? Perfect.