Doctor Who News Colonel Lethbridge Stewart in The Web of Fear

Published on October 11th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

BBC Confirms Discovery of The Enemy of the World and The Web of Fear!

BBC Worldwide has confirmed that nine episodes of Doctor Who that have not been seen for over 45 years will launch on iTunes later today!

The recordings from the 1960s have been recovered in Nigeria, Africa. The stories recovered are The Enemy of the World (1967) and The Web of Fear (1968), both starring Patrick Troughton as the second Doctor.

A total of eleven Doctor Who episodes were discovered (nine of which were missing) by Phillip Morris, director of Television International Enterprises Archive, by the tracking records of overseas shipments made by the BBC containing tapes for transmission.  BBC Worldwide has re-mastered these episodes to restore them to the fantastic quality that audiences expect from Doctor Who.

The Enemy of the World, is the fourth six-part tale of Series 5 which first aired on the BBC in December 1967. Episodes 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 had been missing from the BBC archives. In this, Patrick Troughton plays both the Time Lord and the villainous Ramon Salamander, with companions Frazer Hines (Jamie) and Deborah Watling (Victoria).

Also recovered is the 1968 six-part story, The Web of Fear. Episodes 2 – 6 were feared lost forever but now episodes 2, 4, 5, and 6 have been recovered. Unfortunately, episode three is still missing but a restoration team has reconstructed this part of the story using a selection of the 37 images that were available from the episode along with the original audio. Perhaps best known for introducing Nicholas Courtney as Colonel Lethbridge-Stewart (who later returns as Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart), The Web of Fear also stars Troughton, Hines and Watling. Both Frazer and Deborah were present at the press event in Soho, London on Thursday.

Remastered scene from The Web of Fear

We can also confirm that all episodes will be available to download exclusively from iTunes on 11th October, although at present the price is pending confirmation.DVD releases will also follow, with The Enemy of the World available to pre-order exclusively on DVD from BBC Shop from 11th October for release on 22nd November and The Web of Fear available on DVD from early 2014.

Doctor Who fans’ hero in all of this is Phillip Morris.

The tapes had been left gathering dust in a store room at a television relay station in Nigeria. I remember wiping the dust off the masking tape on the canisters and my heart missed a beat as I saw the words ‘Doctor Who’. When I read the story code I realised I’d found something pretty special.

Fiona Eastwood is Director of Consumer Products at BBC Worldwide:

We are thrilled with the recent discovery of The Web of Fear and The Enemy of the World and we’re very happy to be launching re-mastered versions of these treasured episodes to fans as we celebrate the 50th year of Doctor Who.

This is quite a 50th anniversary gift, wouldn’t you say?!

The episodes will be available to download via www.iTunes.com/DoctorWho  – watch out for our exclusive review of the event later today.

Tags: , , , , , ,

15 Responses to BBC Confirms Discovery of The Enemy of the World and The Web of Fear!

1. avatar Percy says:

Fantastic! No new daleks yet but more of the absolutely iconic Troughton makes me so happy with more good news from a brilliant night!

2. avatar vortexter says:

Amazing! Big shout out to Phil Morris! Well done sir. YetI! and not just Patrick Troughton as the Doctor but Salamander as well! I can get some rest now. Havent slept since sunday…zzzzzzz.

3. Wonderful news. 2 great serials.. watched first time around, cannot wait to see them again…

4. avatar TimeChaser says:

Its a shame they didn’t find all of The Web of Fear, but at least enough of it that one missing episode won’t matter in the end. I’m absolutely thrilled that these two classic stories have been found so we can all now enjoy them (especially those of us who weren’t alive to see them originally).

And to quote a recent movie title, I Love You Phillip Morris!

5. avatar joesiegler says:

US Order links. $9.99 each.

6. avatar vortexter says:

So whats the deal with the ‘more episodes to come’ statement I keep hearing about?

• avatar Andrew G. Dick says:

Questions they just being optimistic or do they actually know of something?

7. avatar Hoosier Whovian says:

That wasn’t so hard was it?

8. avatar Mark P says:

Every article seems to say ‘a restoration team’ or ‘BBC Worldwide’ have restored them. Is this Steve Roberts, Mark Ayres and co?

I must admit I was doubtful more would be found as time went on and we would get down to double figures (97) of missing episodes from 106.

Richard Molesworth is going to have to update his book to a third edition and the DWM special of Troughton’s missing episodes volume 2 is awaited too.

The covers of the DVDs I have seen on another site don’t seem to match those other stories issued todate?

I prefer the reconstructions using telesnaps to approximate animation.

9. avatar CatPiper says:

First they find Richard III and then they find The Web of Fear. Is there anything left on my Christmas list?

10. avatar Geoff says:

This is an amazing piece of news. Now this may sound terrible but I’m not much of a fan of the 60s era Who, I reall like Patrick Troughtons performances in his later appearances so it’s no reflection on the talent involved, I’m just not keen on the era. However to think of huge parts of that era being lost forever makes me sad so I’m over the moon they’ve been found even though I may never watch them.
    It’s shaping up into quite a year: two new interpretations of The Doctor in the biopic, Two current Doctors and John Hurt in November, a whole new Doctor in December and now Second Doctor material unseen for over 40 years.

11. avatar Jon Roberts says:

It does make you wonder just what is still out there gathering dust on a shelf. It gives us all hope that one day we might retrieve all them, lets hope so.

12. avatar Andrew G. Dick says:

A great day indeed, thank you Phillip Morris. You are saint in the Doctor Who world! Can’t wait to watch them, though I am not paying Apple to see them. They should be on the BBC iPlayer, allowing an American company to make a profit like this is a disgrace. The BBC will makes load from the DVD sales anyway.

Seen the clips and they look amazing, the restoration job is spectacular as always. Lovely to see Frazer and Debbie again. These are two cracking episodes. I was planning a best of each Doctor in the run up to the 23rd November, I wanted to include the Web of Fear, but as only one episode existed I though I would stick to a complete serial. Well I’ll be including it now! One of my all time favourite Troughtons’. Enemy of the World is a little gem also.

Even Ian Levene is more optimistic of further discoveries, as I’m sure there are more to come. The BBC need to check their shipping logs right now!

This is a wonderful 50th anniversary gift, and Patrick Troughton will be grinning down on us all.

• avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Agreed. There’s no way I’m giving Apple a penny to view these. Guess those of us that don’t buy from Apple will just have to be sidelined for the time being as obviously we are sub-standard fans who don’t appear to matter that much!

13. avatar rickjlundeen says:

Yes, yes, of course, America is the devil –yeesh— but the BBC will still be making gobs of money on the iTunes downloads as well —much more than just going with the BBCiPlayer version, so smart business sense there. There is at least ten times the money here to be made than in the UK so I can’t blame them.

all that being said, I’m not downloading them from iTunes simply because I’m only paying for it once, and that’s for the restored DVD versions when they come out—which, I might point out, will be months AFTER you in the UK get them.