Doctor Who News Fish fingers and custard

Published on September 5th, 2013 | by Rebecca Crockett

What Happened When The Doctors Did Lunch…

So what happens when two versions of the same man are in the same time and place?

Smith and Capaldi

It’s a pair-o-Docs!

Ok, sorry for the bad pun but recently, current Doctor Matt Smith and future Doctor Peter Capaldi were spotted having lunch together at Wolseley in London. When asked about the lunch meeting, Smith told the Daily Mirror that the two had gotten together to discuss the role of the Doctor. But he says that the actor, set to take over the role, doesn’t need any pointers.

I really rate Peter – he’s such an amazing actor and completely right for the part.

We went out for lunch to talk Doctor tactics. I’m not sure if I gave him any real ideas because it’s not like he needs much help. He’ll play the Doctor in his own way – and do it brilliantly. I can’t wait to see what he does with the part.

I, for one, am glad to hear that Matt thinks Peter more than capable of handling the part of the Doctor. It takes someone who has lived in the role to really know what it entails and if someone else could handle it all. But I am still among the few that aren’t completely sure of our new Doctor. I know he’s a good actor, but he hasn’t wowed me just yet. I think it will take fully seeing him in the role and how he plays it to know if I will like him as our beloved Doctor.

What are your thoughts? Anyone else still a bit hesitant in declaring that Capaldi is “perfect” for the role?

(Via The Congleton Guardian.)

Tags: , , , ,

Rebecca is new to the Who world, having only recently watched the entire new series in a span of 8 days. She is no stranger to sci-fi though, being a life long Trekkie and has vague memories of seeing the 4th Doctor on US television as a child. When not watching, reading, blogging, or talking about Doctor Who, she is a fan of pop culture and loves movies and books so much she has to keep a list of both so she doesn't forget any of them. She also likes to make attempts at various forms of art including photography and painting. Rebecca is currently working her way through as many classic serials and as many books related to the show that she can find and wishes she could have been with the Doctor and Amy when they met Van Gogh.

14 Responses to What Happened When The Doctors Did Lunch…

1. I guess we will have to see if he will be right for the part or not, but I think he will be awesome

2. avatar TimeChaser says:

No production team has ever cast a bad actor for the role. They know what they’re doing and I trust they have the right man for the job. I said the same during the initial backlash after Matt was announced, and my faith was vindicated then, as I’m sure it will be now.

• avatar Rebecca Crockett says:

Just seems like there aren’t many others out there that have any reservations about Capaldi. I’m sure they know what they were looking for and he fit all that for them, but I’m still not able to see him in the role just yet. And I’m positive there were people that said the same of all the other actors cast in this iconic role.

• avatar TimeChaser says:

Beyond his guest role in The Fires of Pompeii, I’m not familiar with his work, so I don’t have any real baggage of having seen him doing other things. But when I watched the short greeting he recorded for the fans and in it said “I’m the new Doctor!” I saw a mischievous twinkle in his eye and I felt better about him.

• If you want to get an idea of how he is check out Season 3 of Torchwood I thought he was brilliant as Frobisher.

• avatar STLShawn says:

I watched season 3 of torchwood as my “nerdly obligation”, but didn’t enjoy it. By then, i feel it was too much drama and,,,, well,,,, kinda bad.

3. avatar Aly says:

As a fan of Who for 30+ years and a fan of Mr. Capaldi for 20+ years, I am VERY excited! He’s incredibly talented, not just as an actor, but as a director and an artist (and he sings, as well) :). Go on YouTube & check out his work in “The Thick of It,” then in “The Hour” (especially the scenes after his character’s daughter dies). 2 very different characters, both brilliantly done. And he has a whole bunch of other terrific work out there, as well. He will make The Doctor his own.

4. avatar DonnaM says:

Absolutely no reservations here. There are plenty of examples of his work on Youtube – not just “The Thick Of It” but “The Hour” “Fields of Blood” “Torchwood” and more – to put anyone’s mind at rest about the man’s abilities. I’m far more concerned about Moffat and Co providing him with good material than I am about Mr Capaldi’s ability to get the best out of it.

And Timechaser, you’re spot on about that little bit of mischief in that introduction!

5. avatar Geoff says:

I think every actor who has played The Doctor has tapped into the essence of what he’s about, some like the most recent three have had the benefit of more emotional range in the writing as well which has added another dimension. I’ve seen a lot of new Doctors come and go and i think what you call reservations I would call an unease because you can’t see what they are going to do with the part. I get that every time but I don’t worry because they’ve all nailed it. If a poor or just inappropriate actor was cast (Jesse Birdsall or someone) then I’d properly worry but I reckon we’ll be ok this time.

6. avatar Geoff says:

BTW I’m not saying Jesse Birdsall is crap, he was very good fun to watch in Eldorado ( and that must have been a test of his talents!) but he is not and never shoukd be The Doctor!

7. avatar Geoff says:

Also I can’t imagine much food was eaten, both Matt and Peter are very slim. Hardly like Colin and Terrance Dicks going out for lunch is it!:)

8. avatar Michelle Proctor says:

Rebecca, have you actually seen Peter Capaldi as an actor? He is absolutely brilliant as Malcolm Tucker. I think he is going to be somewhat like Tom Baker. I also think that those of us who are older and have lived The Doctor since the 70s can picture this much better than those of you who are younger. He will be fantastic.

• avatar Rebecca Crockett says:

I’ve seen a number of clips of him as Malcolm Tucker as well as the Fires of Pompeii episode and his Torchwood series. And I’m not saying he won’t be good, I just don’t quite see him in the role yet. Its along the lines of wondering why a certain person was cast in a movie role of a character you know rather well and not getting why they were chosen for it – then seeing their performance and understanding why they were cast.

• avatar DonnaM says:

Fair comment! I’ve had that reaction to a lot of previous casting announcements – Christopher, David and Matt all included. In all honesty, this is the first time I’ve immediately gone the opposite way and can “see” the new man being the Doctor without any difficulty.