Doctor Who News dw-s6-msmith-hair-hp3

Published on September 3rd, 2013 | by Alex Skerratt

We Need To Talk About Matt’s Hair

Amid rumours and speculation as to the Twelfth Doctor’s costume, the title of the Anniversary Special and the identity of John Hurt, one of the more intriguing developments in recent months is Matt Smith’s hair.

Or the lack of it!

Matt Smith has had his hair cut

Matt’s recent buzzcut is currently fuelling the suspicion that the Eleventh Doctor may have already filmed his regeneration scene, despite his insistence that he’s in this year’s Christmas Special. Just how will the production team circumnavigate his missing locks?

In a recent interview, Smith explains:

“The coif will be there for the finale in some way, shape, or form, but I think it could be quite funny to have the bald hair. I think you could have, like, that Macaulay Culkin scene in Home Alone when he, like, slaps on the aftershave – I think the Doctor could sort of wake up and be like, ‘Ah!’ I’m sure Steven will come up with something. He’ll come up with something clever.”

Perhaps he’ll shoot his regeneration scene in a wig. He certainly wouldn’t be the first Doctor!

Tags: , , , , ,

likes William Hartnell, whisky, being creative, debating canonicity, The Gunfighters, The Keys of Marinus and City of Death. He has a strong dislike of cold quiche, corporate PowerPoint presentations and lanyards, but loves terrible puns. He's currently employed by a mute teddy bear with black ears.

20 Responses to We Need To Talk About Matt’s Hair

1. avatar TonyS says:

He doesn’t actually SAY anything. I think he has already gone.

• avatar TonyS says:

Excuse me while I wipe this egg off my face :)

2. avatar GabeC. says:

Mmmm … Or is Hurt actually Matt grown older and we see Hurt regenerate into Capaldi?

3. avatar David F says:

Can’t remember whether I already wrote this on Kasterborous or on a different website, but anyway:

In 1983, Peter Davison was interviewed in a behind-the-scene feature on that year’s All Creatures Great and Small Christmas special. At the end, he said, “I have to start on the next series of Doctor Who in a few weeks, and I’m not sure I can grow my hair back”. And, in Warriors of the Deep, he has noticeably shorter hair than before or after.

They didn’t bring forward his regeneration. They just filmed the story and didn’t mention it.

My money’s on the Doctor having slightly shorter hair than usual and business carrying on as usual. Because it’s not important.

• avatar TonyS says:

Generally I would agree. But, to the best of my knowledge, the Fifth Doctor was never described as having “the hair of an idiot”.

4. It’s an USHANKA. I wear an USHANKA now. USHANKAS are cool.

5. avatar Rebecca Crockett says:

Yeah he doesn’t actually say anything in that comment and its like the “confirmation” he was doing season eight – all you had was his saying the season begins filming so and so, never once having the Beeb actually saying YES he’s doing the next season. And in the case of Davison, the hair thing wasn’t quite as important to the overall look of the character as is Smith’s floppy locks. Davison’s was noticeably shorter, yes, but Smith has NONE compared to how he’s looked throughout his run.

6. I thought they already explained it at the Doctor Who Proms.

7. avatar rickjlundeen says:

If you look at his hair in series 7 as opposed to series 5, you’ll notice it’s *drastically* shorter than when he started. His hair has had at least 3 months to grow back—maybe 4 by they time they film the Christmas special this month and it is much better looking now than when he originally got the shave. I’ve been enjoying the shorter hair as his era has progressed anyway.

8. avatar Colin says:

I’ve vacillated on my thinking regarding Matt’s hair. On the one hand I’ve thought, “it’s no big deal–he’ll wear a wig, or it’ll grow back in time.” On the other, I’ve thought, “Hmmm… it’s kind of like the John Hurt Doctor’s hair… perhaps there never was a plan for him to grow it back completely… and while he shaved his head for a different show, maybe Moff is working his haircut into the plot…?”

I think I lean toward the “it’s not important” side, but I can’t see Matt donning a wig, and, assuming they haven’t filmed the Christmas special yet (and assuming Matt’s in it), I don’t know that his hair will grow back to the same length in time (if they haven’t started filming yet, they’ll have to soon given the time it takes for post-production, and bearing in mind there’s usually a promo ready for Children in Need), which means there will have to be some explanation of it. Which could mean there’s a relationship between the JH Doctor and the 11th… or Matt’s not in the Christmas episode… or something else!

You win, Moff. I’m confused. :)

• avatar Colin says:

… thinking about it, there is a hair connection between the 9th, the JH Doctor, and Matt’s current style. If I were writing the 50th, I’d be sore tempted to play on that somehow…

9. avatar Taz says:

Thank you Matt!!!! You were Brilliant!!!!! I will miss you. your reign was Fantastic!!!!!! In saying that I believe the Christmas Special will introduce the 12th Doctor very early on…similar too the regeneration from 7-8 in the movie by Fox and the Christmas special will be the introduction of Peter…like David’s introduction in his Christmas special……

10. avatar rickjlundeen says:

Or Peter regenerating into Colin early for the last full adventure of that season or even Hartnell regenerating early in the 4 series into Troughton! Anything can happen. But I’m *guessing* that we’ll only see a fleeting glimpse of #12 in the final moments of the Christmas special….maybe…

• avatar Colin says:

Yeah… for all the speculation about what Moff will do differently, I lean towards it all being a traditional Who regeneration right at the end of the last story of the year, with nothing more than a “Barcelona” or a “Geronimo!” from our hero… and then a 7-8 month wait until we see him again. :)

11. avatar DonnaM says:

Mr Moffat likes to keep us confused, and it’s definitely working with me! I veer between thinking “Matt’s filmed his last scene, Peter’s going to do the Christmas special” to “No, it’s all a big con, we’ll get the end-of-special regeneration as usual…” and back again. Seriously, it’s not Matt’s hair that’s the problem – it’s the handfuls of mine that are getting torn out trying to figure out what’s actually going on!

In an ideal world I’d like to see it split – put the regeneration in midway through. That way Matt gets a farewell and I don’t have to wait a whole year to see what Peter intends to do with the character!

12. avatar TimeChaser says:

It seems a lot to fret over. I’m not going to worry about it until the time comes.

13. avatar Dennis says:

I can put all this to rest… a friend of mine attended a party in Bristol a couple of weeks ago and excitedly reported to me the next day that he had a chat with the woman who made Matt Smith’s hairpiece for the Xmas special, and he definitely wouldn’t make that up as he’s not a fan and wasn’t even aware of the debate in the first place.

So there you go – there is a wig. And that’s all I know.

14. avatar Doc1970 says:

If you listen to River’s final words to David Tennant’s Doctor then maybe you can stop worrying that Matt isn’t in the xmas special! Maybe unwittingly, Moffat has written an excuse for the shorter hair into Forest of the Dead………….

15. avatar Adam Curran says:

possible this will be river songs, real end. Quoting river from the library. “you turned up on my doorstep with a new haircut and a suit….My time. Time to come to the Library. You even gave me your screwdriver. ”

Maybe matt’s new haircut is the clue.

16. avatar Dennis says: