Doctor Who dw-logo-1963-hp3

Published on September 16th, 2013 | by Danny_Weasel

Restoration Team’s Final Doctor Who DVDs?

Well, it had to happen eventually I suppose.

A tweet from the restoration team, responsible for the classic DVD releases, have recently confirmed the end of the DVD range.

Ace colourist Jonathan Wood grading extras for Moonbase and Underwater Menace. Our final DW DVDs! #sadday

The big news in that tweet though is that we are getting two more Troughton classics to finish off the collection in the form of The Moonbase and The Underwater Menace and as these are only partially complete serials, does it mean we are getting more animated episodes and if so in what style can we expect them (Reign of Terror/Tenth Planet or Ice Warriors/The Invasion?)

For those of you with a tendency to read between the lines (and lets face it, thanks to ‘The Moff’ we are all a little guilty of being conspiracy nuts theorists) the tweet does not state when these final releases shall be with us.

It also doesn’t mention whether or not they’ll be working on Blu-ray releases instead.

Could there be more in the pipeline to come between now and the release of those two that have been kept even more hush-hush than the announcement of the end of the range? Does this also mean that we wont be seeing any more special editions?

What are your thoughts, had you hoped for more special editions or more animated reconstructions or do you feel that this is a good place to call it a day?

Leave us a comment below and let us know.

Tags: , , , , , ,

18 Responses to Restoration Team’s Final Doctor Who DVDs?

1. avatar derekbd says:

But we want The Crusade!

2. avatar Simon Magellan says:

So no animated “Crusade”? That’s a pity. Indeed, it’s a pity that the money couldn’t be found to animate whole missing stories, or more than two episodes – to eventually have a complete DW history.

But, all things must pass…

3. But…. The Crusade!

4. avatar vortexter says:

‘It’s far from being all over…’

I’m sure there are a few more releases being planned that we haven’t been told about. Best to just wait and see as I dont think we have much longer to wait either. Personally, I think the B&W episodes could be colourised and released as a new range.

• avatar Al says:

The episodes were made in B&W. They should stay in B&W. Colorizing always looks stupid, whether it’s old Three Stooges movies or Bewitched. I only tolerate it if it’s replacing a color original as was the case with some of the Pertwees.

• avatar vortexter says:

It wouldn’t replace the originals, they would just be alternatives. Check out Babelcolours outstanding work on youtube.

5. avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

It’s the end. But the moment has been prepared for – no doubt. I think we have basically received Special Editions of all the stories that truly deserved them (and a couple that maybe didn’t). More animated versions of lost episodes would of course be desirable but sadly that is all down to monetary restraints. The prospect of getting a couple more Troughton stories as complete as possible through animation is enough to keep me happy just now!

And can I just take this opportunity to thank all at the Restoration Team for everything they’ve done over the years. You guys are so dedicated and extremely talented. And us fans have been the blessed recipients of your labour of love over the years. THANK YOU!!!

• avatar vortexter says:

I agree. I think I’m right in saying it’s all been done in their spare time as well.

I think the special edition of ‘Day of the Daleks’ is one of my favourites.

6. avatar Geoff says:

Also the 2005 revival is nearly 10 years old now. I’d really like to see some proper (as in like the classic series range) DVDs of those early series with suitable special features. The revival DVD ranges have all been a bit ropey in my view and DW Confidential isn’t as good for a fan as the classic DVD documentaries.

• avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Couldn’t agree more. Plus, just having the revived stories released in the familiar classic series DVD cover format along with deserving features would make all us fans extremely happy and would complete our collections. Sadly, I’m sure there is plenty off BBC red tape to render this though redundant. All classic series merchandise is marked with the McGann/Pertwee logo while all new series merchandise has been marketed with the representative RTD/Moff logos.

7. avatar TimeChaser says:

I still think they should do some more special editions of some older releases, like The Dalek Invasion of Earth, Earthshock and Arc of Infinity, plus a repackaged Trial of a Time Lord season in the same way Key to Time was re-released. And I don’t think The Web Planet had ever been released here in the States on DVD.

• avatar GlassworX says:

The Web Planet was available in the US but is now out of print

• avatar derekbd says:

The Web Planet has been released in the US (all of them have.) I was hoping for a special edition of The Sea Devils. The restoration abilities have come some way beyond what was available when ti was done originally and the flaws (in part 1 especially) are quite obvious. I also desire a SE of Horror of Fang Rock since it didn’t have a making of feature.

8. avatar Andrew G. Dick says:

Where would we be without the Restoration team. Thanks guys for all the hard work in lovingly bringing the first 50 years adventures to life. Most importantly they’ve brought all those who’ve created these stories from in front and behind the camera (many of whom are no longer alive), to the forefront and we can enjoy them forever.

9. I still reckon someone should be brave enough to edit down some of the Multi-Episode stories into 45xEpisode stories. I think it would make for a fascinating proposal. Especially with today’s technology and video techniques, it should be “easy” to cut these older stories into something resembling a 21st Century episode…

I am not saying to replace the older episodes rather to try something new.

10. avatar Ian says:

The BBC now have their own in-house restoration team. The fact that the old RT is being phased out does not preclude the possibility of future releases.

11. avatar Paul says:

It shall be classic season blu-ray sets with upconverted footage. The technology today will make for better images and sound on the blu-ray format than can be achieved with watching a standard def dvd in a blu-ray machine. There is enough improvement and extra stuff in the archives that we will all buy this stuff again. Don’t believe for a minute that they have not “found” anything either. Get your wallets ready!

12. avatar TardisInAntarctica says:

I think we will be getting a Two Doctors Special Edition soon, especially since they have the 50th anniversary episode to give contrast to it in regards to special features.