Doctor Who News Matt Smith caught on camera on Doctor Who Christmas location shoot

Published on September 11th, 2013 | by Philip Bates

Moffat: “Matt’s at the Height of his Powers.”

Eleventh Doctor, Matt Smith, has been filming his swansong, the 2013 Christmas special, since Sunday.

Shooting Script

It’s an excruciatingly sad time – but showrunner, Steven Moffat has said that our leading man has remained very positive so far:

“It’s fine. I mean it was an emotional start to the week, but he’s actually been incredibly cheery. He’s a fantastic leading man from that point of view. He bounds on set and gets everyone laughing and moving.”

Talking to Entertainment Wise at Monday’s TV Choice Awards, Moffat admitted that the Fall of the Eleventh is an emotional time:

“He’s so heartbreakingly good. You get all excited about the new Doctor and then you go back and you see Matt on his first day back on set and you think ‘oh my God that’s what we’re losing’… He’s so brilliant and he’s at the height of his powers in the part, he’s so funny, so clever, so inventive.”

It looks like there will be tears at Christmastime. However excited we are about a certain Mr. Capaldi, no one wants to see Matt go. He’s just too good and has been since his first full episode, The Eleventh Hour (2010).

Matt was seen hugging his co-star, Jenna Coleman, on location yesterday and walking arm-in-arm with her to the TARDIS. It looks like Matt’s putting on a brave face; does he really want to leave all this behind…?

Matt, it’s not too late – come back to us! (Okay, so it probably is too late, but still…)

(Via Entertainment Wise.)

Tags: , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to Moffat: “Matt’s at the Height of his Powers.”

1. Ian Gettings says:

He just looked so depressed on that live show. Sad he is going.

2. Bob James says:

It’s better that he made his choice while he was still vital in the role. Better that than overstaying his welcome. He is going, I feel, to leave us wanting more, and that’s great. He shows no signs or indication of wanting to disassociate himself from the show, and has even commented upon the possibilities of a return. He seems to grasp that once you’re the Doctor, you’ll never not be the Doctor on some level. He has given us so much, and I for one am grateful. He’s not leaving under a cloud, or a controversy. Matt’s a class act who clearly hasn’t lost his love for the show or the fans.

• Maria says:

Yeah so true. I do wish he had done at least 1 more series with Jenna. I love their chemistry together. Eight episodes with both of them wasn’t really enough plus the split of Series 7 left me rather short changed…

3. lee moone says:

No one wants to see him go?!? Erm I do! Really didn’t warm to his Dr. Can’t wait for Capaldi. Not been so excited to see the series back since DT last series.

4. dr jon says:

When matt smith first hit the headlines as the doctor I thought he was a bad choice, to young and not much acting to his name and also to have to take over from david tennant who was a very hard act to follow in many fans eyes. I admit I was very wrong, I cast my mind back to when peter davison took the tardis keys from tom baker another hard act to follow. I also thought peter was to young and a bad choice. And I was wrong then too. He became one of my favorite doctors. History repeating for me. I will miss matt smiths take on the role, very different to other doctors who have been before. It will be a sad day on xmas day this year.

5. Ranger says:

No tears here. Roll on Capaldi!