Doctor Who News Peter Capaldi 2

Published on September 5th, 2013 | by Nick Kitchen

Iannucci: “I’d love to write Doctor Who!”

It would appear that the man behind Peter Capaldi’s most famous role, Malcolm Tucker, is anxious to get in the thick of the TARDIS! Speaking with What’s On TV, Veep creator and Thick of It writer, Armando Iannucci, has expressed interest in writing an episode of Doctor Who. Steven Moffat hasn’t officially asked him…yet. He says that “it would be great because I love sci-fi and I grew up with Doctor Who as well.”

Peter Capaldi

Perhaps the most interesting part of the interview is Iannucci’s thoughts on the kind of Doctor Capaldi is going to be:

“He won’t be Malcolm – that’s the thing…He’s really funny, so I imagine there’ll be lots of humour there, but he can also be powerful and tragic. It’ll be interesting to see if they do stories that allow him to play to those things!”

Would you like to see an episode by Armando? Or do you think the series may be a bit out of his wheelhouse?

Tags: , , ,

“That’s bacon! Are you trying to poison me?” And from that line on, I’ve been unable to stop watching, reading, musing about the Doctor. As a recent transplant to the Whoniverse, I’ve been trying to soak up as much Who-related knowledge as possible. That journey has taken me from the Tenth Planet to the Fields of Trenzalore and gently set me at the edge of my seat for what’s next. It’s an honor to be here and I plan to bring a unique perspective. I hope you’ll enjoy the journey alongside me.

6 Responses to Iannucci: “I’d love to write Doctor Who!”

1. Mark Lenton says:

Oh that would be excellent

2. DonnaM says:

I’d love to see Iannucci have a crack at an episode, and I’m damned glad somebody has made the (to me) obvious point: PC will not play the Doctor anything like Malcolm Tucker. Not that some of the mash-ups on Youtube aren’t hilarious but (a) it wouldn’t work and (b) he’s certainly a good enough actor to create a Doctor who can be as iconic as Malcolm ever was.

3. vortexter says:

Armando would be great as a writer. Yes please! He knows the sort of thing Peter would like in a script as well. Perhaps Armando could be a future show runner as well?…

4. drewboynton says:

Let him at it! He’s obviously a smart guy and a very good writer! And as long as the Twelfth Doctor wasn’t spouting @$#$#$%! and #%^$%^&^$%$$@#! and $%%$#%#^&! at the top of his lungs, it’d be great!

5. Simon Magellan says:

I remember negative comments when Simon “Men Behaving Badly” Nye wrote an episode and that turned out to be excellent – the fact that Iannucci is best know for satirical comedy isn’t a problem – he may relish doing a different kind of drama. But maybe its time for a “Sunmakers” style satire anyway?

And, while we are talking satirists – what about Charlie Brooker?

• authorman94 says:

Both of them would be my choices to try as writers in the future (especially Charlie since he’s my favourite critic, but that’s just me)! Armando would be very good considering he’s done a lot of good in the past, and knowing Peter Capaldi would help him write a script that could tailor to Capaldi’s strengths (and definitely agreed with him about Capaldi playing it like Malcolm, not going to happen, even if some of the parodies are definitely amusing).