Doctor Who News Peter Capaldi IS the Twelfth Doctor Who!

Published on September 22nd, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

How Would You Feel About a New Doctor Who Title Sequence?

An awesomely talented YouTuber called billydakiduk has created this amazing new Doctor Who title sequence for the Peter Capaldi era.

Now, the eagle-eyed among you will notice that this approach is quite a departure from the time tunnels and star fields of old. Personally, I like it, although I suspect it may appeal more to New Adventures fans than anyone else.

What do you think? Could the show do with a new approach, and do you think the BBC will go with something like this?

Tags: , ,

28 Responses to How Would You Feel About a New Doctor Who Title Sequence?

1. avatar vidarraven says:

I prefer it to the current version

2. avatar rickjlundeen says:

First, that above is an awesome opening and I’d gladly accept that as the new one. Second, the current opening they introduced with The Snowmen last Christmas has been the best opening in the Smith era. We’ve seen a few fan made productions that are often superior to the actual opening—I’d even say the BBC should incorporate a different opening for each episode, there are that many out there!

3. avatar TonyS says:

It shows flair and imagination. Personally, I’d lose the Seal of Rassilon as it’s a bit too fan-wa…orientated. But it is at least as good as most of the recent tile sequences.

4. avatar Richard Parkin says:

I’m still hoping the Beeb hire Xander David-Hugh as his work is amazingly brilliant and out-shines the current titles. He’s just finished his take on what the Capaldi titles could look like (watch it in HD if possible!):

• Yeh we featured him previously – it’s an excellent sequence, but boy does the “Doctor Who” font ruin it…!

• avatar TimeChaser says:

I prefer this alternate Matt Smith intro done by the same person that uses a dynamic version of the 50th Anniversary logo being used on Big Finish’s main range Doctor Who audios. I think the TV series should adopt that logo, its a nice harking back to the past.

• avatar joesiegler says:

This one by the same guy is superior, IMO.

• avatar TimeChaser says:

Uh, that’s the same one Richard Parking linked to above. Department of Redundancy Department?

• avatar s says:

I like the neon one a bit,but the Doctor would never fly like that so close to a planet,let alone lava.

5. I’m still hankering for the return of the original title sequence and music, it was ethereal, spooky and for me, forever linked with damp autumn evenings in the 1960s..

6. avatar TimeChaser says:

That was definitely cool, I like the clock elements. I still think though that most fan-made videos have this element that makes them look like they were made using home video-creating systems by a fan. If the BBC were to create a new title sequence (which I’m betting they will once we enter Capaldi’s era) then I’d like it to look less computery. Then again, McCoy’s intro/outro looks very computery and I still like it, so who am I to complain?

7. avatar Endy says:

Thought that was very clever and very good love it.

8. avatar vortexter says:

Excellent sequence and there is some real talent out there. I think I would still prefer a vortex effect though. Although we did lose it entirely during the Davison era and I didn’t miss it at all. 10/10.

9. avatar Laz says:

It’s very cool, I love it. Provided they added at least a short part in the Time Vortex. That’s necessary!

10. avatar iLikeTheUDK says:

Nah, too repetitive, and the clock theme is not sci-fi enough.

• avatar Dadoctor says:

The clock already is sci-fi,so….yea.

11. avatar Colin says:

I also think the title sequence introduced with The Snowmen was the best so far, and I would like to see the BBC continue on with it. However, some of the fan-made ones (the one in Christian’s article, and the ones linked in the comments) are pretty awesome. I’m quite impressed. Don’t make me choose! :)

12. avatar James Lomond says:

Hmm. Nope.

Always excited when a new title sequence comes out though I’m not sure they’d want to spend to the expense on a new on after less than a full series of the current one. Suppose it depends on whether they want to maintain some continuity for those uncertain about Capaldi or if they want to surprise us with a new *look* to go with the new doctor.

The one posted in the article doesn’t quite do it for me – love the darkness and claustrophobia and it’s an impressive bit of work. But the pocket-watch and clock sequence just seems clumsy and a bit kiddy. And I have a pedant’s frustration with the use of clocks in scifi time-travel ;) doesn’t make any sense!

Really like this one – it feels like the current one but done properly. The zooming part has a real feeling of speed and urgency unlike the BBC’s which seems a bit *token*. (The entry into the vortex and colouring is better on the Beeb’s tho…)

13. avatar Andrew Dorgomire says:

If not Twelve, this would work for the Eighth Doctor with a little tweaking!

14. avatar Aaron McGahon says:

As utterly amazing as this titles sequence is and also setting aside how much I would love for it to be the new titles. I highly doubt they will be actually changing the titles sequence after the change to Capaldi that mach, I expect the face and obviously the name but other than that, I feel like the current titles are brand new enough. I’ve heard people expecting that because there will be a new Doctor coming in, that everything will be changing again, new titles, new TARDIS, new sonic. For me, the only likely change there seems to be the sonic screwdriver (which I hope does not change, I think it would be nice to keep that prop for another while, despite the BBC’s probably desire to make more money out of a new sonic prop that is actually in the show), because everything else has been changed quite recently, almost in preparation for the new Doctor. The TARDIS the Doctor currently has will go down as the 12th Doctor’s TARDIS, the titles sequence will go down as the 12th Doctor titles and Clara will possibly go down as the 12th Doctor’s main companion.

15. avatar Geoff says:

Ok, clearly this chap is very skilled so no knocking of his talent. But I don’t like it. To me it sums up the excesses of fandom, cheesy fob watches and clocks with Roman numerals just make me think of people who dress like Kim Newman ( which is only ok if you are Kim Newman), Vogan symbol: done to death for anyone who knows and meaningless to anyone who doesn’t. I really hope they don’t go in this direction. All I want is a time tunnel (no silly lightening bolts striking a Tardis thank you), The Doctors solemn looking face and that “dizzzion dizzzion” noise at the end of the end credits.

16. Moffat should really use this one yeah.. With a little bit of tweaking this’ll be a perfect intro-sequence befitting the new Doctor. :D

17. avatar Geoff says:

Basically I’ve just described the Tom Baker credits by accident.

18. avatar Victor says:

Nice stuff! Though Capaldi’s face appearing on the back of the fob watch is a bit… cheesy.

19. avatar David Lambert says:

That is an impressive piece of work

20. avatar TonyS says:

Having watched some of the sequences in the above links, I prefer the version in the body of this article. Except the Scroll etc…

21. avatar dr jon says:

Very good indeed the sequences worked really well they should use it. I hope for the 50th the they will use the title from 1963 but up dated in some way. With matt smith’s face incorperated on it just to give the viewers a taste of the old who series history.

22. avatar Howard Railton says:

Awesome, I’ve never been too keen on stars and planets, too spacy not enough timey-wimey. The deeper Who music essentially sells it in the end. Smith’s was too light and not as deep sounding as it should be to really grip viewers and gets them hooked. The face of the Doctor forming in the Troughton/Pertwee tunnel effect was scary.