Doctor Who News A Christmas Carol

Published on September 4th, 2013 | by Philip Bates

Christmas Special Filming Starts Sunday

Matt Smith has confirmed that he starts filming for the 2013 Christmas special, his swansong as the Doctor, this Sunday (8th September).

Matt Cemented

ITV morning show, Daybreak, attended last night’s GQ Men of the Year Awards ceremony, and Matt exclusively revealed that, yes, he’ll be wearing a wig! Entertainment correspondent, Richard Arnold, quizzed him about his newly-cropped hair, to which the actor responded:

“I did it for a film [How to Catch A Monster, directed by Ryan Gosling], but it means I have to wear a wig in Doctor Who which is a nightmare. I’m excited, I start shooting the Christmas Special Sunday. It’ll be sad – the end of a wonderful era!”

It might not be ideal, but at least this means that Matt hasn’t already filmed his regeneration scene, so will definitely be in the special, expected to be an hour in length and aired on Christmas Day. What a perfect time to break our hearts, eh!

Matt, who showed up on the red carpet with his sister, Laura Jayne, has worn a wig in Doctor Who before, notably in The Wedding of River Song.

(Thanks to Doctor Who News.)

Tags: , , , ,

15 Responses to Christmas Special Filming Starts Sunday

1. TonyS says:

Well that seems to settle the matter.

• Indeed – but what has it come to when we’re constantly analysing every announcement to check if the BBC/Moff is lying?

• TonyS says:

He has to assume a lot of the blame himself. He does use smoke and mirrors to an almost obsessive degree. He admits himself that he lies. He almost brags about it.

• rickjlundeen says:

I don’t the Moff at all for lying. In this day and age when everything humanly possible is spoiled and people go out of their way to ruin any possible surprise, what’s a showrunner to do? I would love to actually be surprised by something in a show these days. We get the occasional surprise but without hiding under a rock, it’s tough. Moffat’s trying to bring a little bit of surprise back the only way he can. If he keeps us guessing, all the better. RTD did the same, after all.

• Colin says:

Totally agree with you, Rick. I’m not one who advocates deception, but I completely understand why Moff has blatantly lied, and *told* people he lies without saying about what. In this online, highly-connected world, where news travels as fast as a Tweet, and reporters have smart phones, there are few other ways to maintain the element of surprise.

• TonyS says:

I accept what you say, Rick. However, if one is known to lie- for whatever reason, one is going to experience a credibility problem. My response was to Christian’s musing.

• TonyS says:

Sorry about the stuffy style of my last post. Don’t know why I started using “one” :)

2. castellanspandrel says:

Waiting for a conspiracy theorist to come on and say, “Doesn’t say how much screen time he has in the Xmas special. Or maybe the bits he’s filming for the Xmas one will be stuck onto the end of the 50th and it’s all a huge smokescreen to hide him leaving in the 50th.”

3. castellanspandrel says:

I wouldn’t rule out the scenario I mentioned above, but gut feeling is that he’s doing the full Xmas special, which suits me fine. I’d like a definite full stop to end his era after the 50th circus has died down a little.

4. TimeChaser says:

Considering he’s not the first Doctor to wear a wig, I’m not too concerned.

5. Bob James says:

If Paul McGann ever hears about the wig thing, somewhere he’ll be laughing in a most sinister fashion.

6. TonyS says:

Chances are he has now heard about the syrup.

7. Rebecca Crockett says:

Ok so I’ll be the conspiracy theorist. At the GQ thing his hair is longer like it has been since he’s been growing it out. But the pic the Beeb tweeted with him holding the script his hair is as short as it was for the movie.
    Yes he wore a wig for WoRS but that was mostly extensions. I don’t think they’d have him shave it down again only to put a full wig on him – at the length it was they could put permanent extensions in and it wouldn’t be noticeable like a full wig might be…
    I think the pic is an old one from before he even left the UK to come over here and film and they are just keeping up the lie.
    Tho I am at this point understanding why they keep lying. They want there to be some mystery left.
    But come on. Give us the 50th trailer or SOMETHING already. Then we’d buy the misdirection more easily cause we’d be otherwise occupied nitpicking the trailer!

• Rebecca Crockett says:

Ok well at first glance it looked longer. Maybe I’m just crazy.

8. Rebecca Crockett says:

And I see whatever Matt said supposedly confirming is no more than what he said about season 8…and gee that was a lie.
    All the Beeb tweet confirmed was that there will in fact be a Christmas special.