Published on August 30th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley0
The Tenth Planet Contents and Release Date
We’ve already brought you the cover art (as it currently stands…) but blow you can now see read the full list of extras for this very special DVD release of The Tenth Planet, the first Doctor Who story to feature a regeneration!
The sad thing about this release, of course, is that the final episode is almost completely missing – which means that money has been spent on animating the events of the Doctor’s first encounter with the Cybermen…
The first three episodes of the serial are live action, of course.
The extras (or value added material) are listed below…
Disc One Contents
- Commentary with actors Anneke Wills (Polly), Christopher Matthews (Radar Technician), Earl Cameron (Williams), Alan White (Schultz), Donald Van Der Maaten (Cybermen Shav and Gern), Christopher Dunham (R/T Technician) and designer Peter Kindred. Moderated by Toby Hadoke.
- Frozen Out – Cast and crew look back on the making of the story. With actors Anneke Wills, Earl Cameron and Reg Whitehead, designer Peter Kindred and vision mixer Shirley Coward.
- Episode 4 VHS Reconstruction – The reconstruction of the missing fourth episode using audio, stills and surviving clips, which featured on the BBC Video VHS release of the story back in 2000.
- Radio Times listings – Episode listings for The Tenth Planet from the BBC listings magazine Radio Times (DVD-ROM only – to be viewed on PC/Mac).
- Production subtitles – Subtitles provide the viewer with cast details, script development and other information related to the production of The Tenth Planet.
- Photo gallery – A selection of production, design and publicity photographs from this story.
- Coming soon – An exclusive new trailer for a forthcoming DVD release.
- William Hartnell Interview – Shortly after leaving Doctor Who, star William Hartnell joined the 1966 Christmas pantomime tour of Puss in Boots. Interviewed in his dressing room for the BBC Bristol’s Points West programme, Hartnell talks frankly about Daleks, the merits of pantomime and his own thoughts on his future career in this extremely rare glimpse into the mind of the man who first brought the role of the Doctor to life… (see New William Hartnell TV Footage Found! for more.)
- Doctor Who Stories – Anneke Wills – Anneke Wills look back on her role as Polly in the series, in an interview recorded for the BBC’s Story of Doctor Who in 2003.
- The Golden Age – Historian Dominic Sandbrook examines the myth of a ‘Golden Age’ of Doctor Who.
- Boys! Boys! Boys! – Peter Purves, Frazer Hines and Mark Strickson reminisce about their time as companions to the First, Second and Fifth Doctors respectively.
- Companion Piece – A psychologist, writers and some of the Doctor’s companions over the years examine what it means to be a Time Lord’s fellow traveller . With actors William Russell, Elisabeth Sladen, Louise Jameson, Nicola Bryant and Arthur Darvill, writers Nev Fountain and Joseph Lidster, and psychologist Dr Tomas Charmorro-Premuzic.
- Blue Peter: Doctor Who’s Tenth Anniversary – Two weeks before the show’s tenth anniversary, the Blue Peter team take a look back at Doctor Who’s history. Ironically, the strict preservation of Blue Peter’s history means that the clip of the first regeneration has been preserved, but the final episode of The Tenth Planet that it came from was never again seen after its use here.
Set for release in the UK on November 18, 2013 you can orderThe Tenth Planet from Amazon now for £15.42 North America readers can order for $31.48, a 10% saving of the $34.98 list price.