Doctor Who News Christopher Eccleston - the Ninth Doctor

Published on August 11th, 2013 | by Drew Boynton

Spot Christopher Eccleston in Thor 2 Trailer!

By Great Odin’s Beard! Can it be that our good Ninth Doctor has gone bad in a big way to menace the God of Thunder? Verily, it is thus!

Christopher Eccleston, who played the Ninth Doctor in 2005, will be seeking vengeance against Thor himself as the character of Malekith The Accursed in Marvel’s big budget sequel, Thor: The Dark World.

Last week, the official full-length trailer for the highly anticipated sequel was released, and although it barely features a glimpse of Eccleston’s villainous Lord of the Dark Elves, the actor’s voice can prominently be heard as the tension builds:

Thor, your bravery will not ease your pain! Your family, your world, will be…EXTINGUISHED!

It’s just too bad that he didn’t slip up and say “…EXTERMINATED!”

The synopsis of the thunderous sequel reads thusly:

One year after the events of Marvel’s The Avengers, Thor battles to save the Nine Realms from a mysterious enemy older than the universe itself. A primeval race led by Malekith, who is out for revenge, intends to plunge the universe into darkness. Confronted by an enemy that even Odin and Asgard cannot overcome, Thor must reunite with Jane Foster and set out on a dangerous journey that will force him to make the ultimate sacrifice.

Thor: The Dark World is scheduled to be released October 30th in the UK and November 8th in the USA.

The main question now is – especially for Doctor Who fans – if Dark World finished filming it’s three-month shoot in December 2012, and Eccleston wasn’t filming anything until June/July 2013 (the new HBO series The Leftovers), why couldn’t he fit in a few weeks of filming on the 50th Anniversary Special, which shot almost entirely during April?

Why did Ninth Doctor actor decide to pass on the Who celebration, especially after two reported meetings with Steven Moffat and at least a couple signs (“If I told you, I’d have to shoot you.”) that he very well could be involved? Like Malekith’s reasons for wanting revenge on Thor, this question may also be shrouded in mystery for eons to come…

Tags: , , ,

Drew has been a fan of Doctor Who ever since he flipped through the channels late one night and saw a girl blowing up an army of funny robot men with nothing but a slingshot and some old coins. He currently lives somewhere in the woods of Missouri with his beautiful wife Barbara.

19 Responses to Spot Christopher Eccleston in Thor 2 Trailer!

1. Sally Ann Price says:

I will miss him in the 50th anniversary, but I can understand him. He is a great actor. I know he will be great in this movie Thor coming up and also the other projects like the Leftovers and also he did a play and also he is going to start to film Lucan coming up. Somebody must have really hurt him on the set of Doctor Who. I just love him.

• Mary1 says:

Agreed. Next to Pertwee, he is my favourite Doctor.

2. Andrew G. Dick says:

It’s a long shot I know, but hopefully Moffat and Eccleston were bluffing about this, and maybe he is in the 50th.

3. TimeChaser says:

You can either believe everyone is bluffing and Eccles will be in the 50th, or you can accept that he considered it and turned it down. Tom Baker did the same for The Five Doctors, is it so hard to believe Chris would feel its too soon for him to return to Who?

4. Francis Cave says:

Maybe he just didn’t want to?

There is such a thing as free will after all.

Its not like when he signed up to the role he swore an oath or anything….

• TonyS says:

Perhaps he did. And perhaps it was the secret ceremony that accompanied the oath swearing that made him want to leave.

• Francis Cave says:

What they did to that poor bunny rabbit as part of that ceremony scarcely bears thinking about….

• TonyS says:

Hence the Easter phenomenon of (sorry about this) hot, cross bunnies…

5. Bob James says:

Steven Moffat once made the statement (in an interview with DWM I believe) that Tom Baker ought to be ashamed for backing out and not participating in “The Five Doctors”. Christopher Eccleston ought to be ashamed of not participating in the 50th Anniversary episode as well. He had the opportunity to return with the show and the BBC under new management (he supposedly didn’t see “eye to eye” with upper management during his tenure), the opportunity to work with the writer he himself cited as the writer of his favorite stories from his series (The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances), and the opportunity to bring closure to his era while making millions of fans happy. For what would have amounted to a few weeks work. How many actors get to be part of a British television institution that has lasted for 50 years, and is still going strong? Short of his being physically violated or having his family insulted, or having money stolen from him during his time on Doctor Who, I simply won’t buy any of his unspoken bullshit excuses for his self centered and self serving behavior. I am definitely going to be seeing Thor: The Dark World, but I would have been going even if he wasn’t in it. I’m sure he has given a brilliant performance in it just as he did as the Doctor. I just hope the ill will he has bred in me towards him won’t ruin my enjoyment of it. I will always hold his brilliant work in Series 1 in high esteem. He helped bring Doctor Who back in a way perhaps no one else could, and I’m grateful to him for that. But for anything else he might participate in in the future, If I happen to see it, it won’t be because he’s in it. Over and OUT, Christopher “I never bathe in the same river twice” Eccleston.

• Mary1 says:

Seriously? He is an actor. He doesn’t really owe anyone anything. None of us know what happened and his decision to participate or not is his decision. I certainly don’t allow said personal decision to influence, colour or change my opinion of his acting or of himself as a person.

This is a tv show. I think some of us take things way too seriously.

• Bob James says:

So far, myself and Richard Franklin, that we know of.

• Bob James says:

And, lest I forget, Peter Davison, who has been on record as saying he felt that Eccleston “let fans down” by leaving after only one series.

6. TonyS says:

I don’t agree with Steven Moffat about Tom Baker and I don;t agree about Christopher Eccleston. The decision is theirs and theirs alone. They are actors and the role is another job to them. (Yes, I know that Tom Baker has changed his stance. But the Five Doctors was only a coupl;e of years after he left.) WE are the ones to whom the programme is so much more. I would have liked to have seen more prior Doctors in the Special. But I haven’t seen it yet. Maybe I will. If not, I shall enjoy it for what is shown. Christopher Eccleston’s decision (if such it is) might be a pity. It emphatically is not something of which he should be ashamed.

• TonyS says:

And this is the same Steven Moffat who appears to have declined to use any other earlier Doctors, is it?

• Bob James says:

The earlier Doctors issue was down to narrative and dramatic reasons, as well as, let us be frank, age. Obviously Moffat didn’t see how a compelling story that included substantial roles for each Doctor could be made and work within a 90 minute format. I can understand that. Some people might be all for an “everybody in the pool” Five Doctors sort of approach, and that’s fine, but Moffat chose not go that route. The audio format and extended length afforded by the forthcoming Big Finish special can accommodate that far better. I echo actor Richard Franklin’s feelings expressed in DWM #462 that he finds Eccleston’s attitude “absolutely abhorrent”. He came in, took the money, got his feelings hurt over something and pranced off. Franklin spoke of the loyalty fans have for Doctor Who, and how at least some of that should be shown back, that it’s a “heritage” role that shouldn’t be discarded casually. I don’t think Christopher Eccleston understood that when he signed on for Doctor Who, and in spite of other actors and people involved trying to enlighten him, he still doesn’t understand that now. Tom Baker came to regret his decision later on down the line, by his own admission. Perhaps Christopher Eccleston might as well at some point in the future.

• Sally Ann Price says:

I agree! They should leave Christopher Eccleston alone.

• Bob James says:

Okay, okay, already! I get it! I’ll leave poor Mr. Eccleston alone.

7. lara says:

i didn’t hear eccleston’s distinctive northern accent in this trailer. i’ll be going to see thor for one reason, and is eccleston. i hope he doesn’t wear a mask the whole time.

• Sally Ann Price says:

I love his costume. He has such a great build. Hope I can see it.