Opinion 20130819-071915.jpg

Published on August 19th, 2013 | by Melinda Moo Sue

Sacred Bond

Fandom is a sacred thing. It has the power to turn perfect strangers into kin, and the best of friends into enemies. A fandom isn’t just some game or some show or some book that we like, it’s a way of life. And that’s why I think it is so amazing that Doctor Whohas cast two life-long Whovians as the role of the Doctor.

20130819-071855.jpg

When I first delved into the time-traveling galaxy-hopping world of Doctor Who, I wasn’t aware that David Tennant was such a huge fan himself. Upon meeting him at the end of Series 1, I quickly jumped online to learn more about this tenth incarnation actor. I quickly learned that he had been a Whovian his entire life, and that at the age of 3 or 4, he declared he was going to grow up to be an actor due to his love for Doctor Who. Now if that’s not a true dream come true, I don’t know what is.

This information cemented my fandom and took it to another level. I was so proud to know that my Doctor wasn’t just some actor, but a Whovian just like me. My excitement was impossible to contain, which led me to spread the news to every person that I knew – they totally cared. Chest swelled, head high, I wore this pride like a badge of honor.

I didn’t think I could fall further down the wormhole, but I did, oh I did. The glorious Sunday afternoon when the 12th Doctor was revealed as the wonderful Peter Capaldi, I – like every one of you reading this I’m sure – once again went straight to Google to brush up on any and everything I could find on good ol’ Number 12.

20130819-071425.jpg

And what did I find? Oh just a little article published in a 1974 issue of Radio Times written by a little 15-year old Peter Capaldi. But not just any article, it was an article praising them for the wonderful Doctor Who special they had aired, and expressing his hopes and dreams that one day they will be celebrating “25 years of wandering in time with the Doctor.” Lo and behold, his dreams have not only come true, but he may very well be starring in the 50th anniversary special! (My personal prediction: The Doctor will be regenerating at the end of the special. What better way to conclude such an epic and long-awaited special?)

Upon learning this little tidbit of information, I once again shouted in exultation as tears of joy came to my eyes – a tad bit dramatic, maybe. With that said, it’s clear that I am very excited to see Peter step into the TARDIS.

To know that two of my Doctors are Whovians themselves fills me with so much pride. I also can’t help but to feel a wee little bit of hope deep down inside that maybe I too might one day walk through the doors of the TARDIS and go traveling with the Doctor.

Tags: , , , ,

22 Responses to Sacred Bond

1. avatar Quinton Kyle Hoover says:

Why does everyone bring up that Tennant was a life long fan but no one ever mentions that Colin was too? /:|

• I suspect this is probably because David Tennant and Peter Capaldi grew up watching Doctor Who, whereas Colin Baker was already grown up… I would agree that there shouldn’t be a difference, but it seems to be the only thing I can see between them.

• avatar Al says:

Davison was a big fan too, and he’s only a few years older than Capaldi.

2. avatar callinton says:

A lovely article. I personally don’t want Matt regenerating in the 50th though as David is in it. Smith’s final hour shouldn’t be intruded upon by other eras. The 50th? go for it. But Matt’s last episode should belong to him.

3. avatar TonyS says:

I agree that Matt’s regeneration should be in a story that focuses on that. But there are indications that we might not be getting this. And I am sort of impatient to see how the 12th Doctor turns out.

• avatar Al says:

I’m seeing no such indication. As far as I can tell, the special will be a final blaze of glory for Matt and we’ll meet Peter at the end, same as it ever was.

• avatar TonyS says:

I might be seeing significance where there is none. I am a Doctor Who fan, after all. It was the seeming hints that the new Doctor will have a significant part to play in the Christmas Special. Unfortunately I wiped Doctor Who Live so I can’t re-watch it.

• Good luck with that…

• avatar TonyS says:

Good luck with what?

• My reply was to Callinton. No idea how it ended up where it did…

• avatar TonyS says:

Oh right.

4. avatar David F says:

Blimey. ‘Sacred’? ‘Pride’? It’s nice to think some childhood fans have had the thrill of growing up and becoming the Doctor, but let’s not go overboard. Unless you’re Tennant or Capaldi, or their parent, it’s a huge leap to start talking about pride . . .

5. avatar TonyS says:

And I am sorry, but fandom is not a way of life for me. It’s a hobby or a pastime. Maybe one that occupies a lot of my free time. But it is not my whole life. I have family and friends. I have a Godson. I have to work (boo!). I have a Christian faith. They are my life. Fandom fits into that context. It does not overwhelm it.

6. avatar Ian says:

Yup, a bit barmy. It’s a TV show, not a religion.

7. avatar TonyS says:

Exactly, Ian.

• avatar TonyS says:

Is someone marking us down, Ian, because they think it IS a religion?

8. It’s meant to be a bit funny and over the top (I get very excited over the things I love) But I can see how it could be taken that way ;) Anywho, thanks for the read guys!

• avatar TonyS says:

I have just re-read it in the light of your comment Melinda. It does make a difference. Good article. I am a little embarrassed because I am usually quicker on the uptake than that. And there are fans who take it far too seriously. :)

• Hahaha thanks Tony! And no worries, I completely understand :)

9. avatar Geoff says:

The only way I interact with fandom is on this site and that’s enough for me. I can post my views, speak to others about or just read theirs. I find that nearly everything I read on here is intelligent and considered but like Tony, just because I know who Pat Gorman is doesn’t mean Doctor Who isn’t just one of many things in my life although I’m slowing adjoining the facets of “children” and “Doctor Who” together.

10. avatar Doctor81965 says:

One day, soon, it will be demanded of all of us to choose between God, our families, our friends, and our occupations, and Doctor Who. The consequences for those who fail to choose Doctor Who will be complete removal from time and causality. They will have never existed. Choose well, and come and worship, or perish.

11. avatar Bob James says:

One day, very soon, we will all be asked to choose between God, our families, our friends, and our occupations, and Doctor Who. The consequences for those who do not choose Doctor Who will be grave, catastrophic, and devastating. Rassilon will appear and those who failed to choose Doctor Who will be removed from time and causality. They will have never existed. So come now and worship, or perish.