Doctor Who News 20130824-084354.jpg

Published on August 24th, 2013 | by James Lomond

Rupert Everett Claims He Auditioned for Doctor Who

Rupert Everett announced at a reading from his memoirs at the Edinburgh International Book Festival that he went up for the part of the Doctor! Well actually he says he went up for the part of ‘Doctor Who’, which must be a character from some lesser-known science-fiction program (tsk!…)

20130824-084225.jpg

Part of the fun of waiting to find out who the next Who will be is picturing what others could be like in the role but I have to say Everett has never been on my list. His version of Sherlock Holmes was probably the most Doctorish role he’s been in, though what I find most distinctive about Everett’s performances is the way he oozes Posh. In fact there’s something appealing about the idea of a multi-doctor story with some Pertwee-Troughton one-upmanship between an Everett Doctor and Christopher Eccleston’s…

He’s high-profile, successful and (assuming he did audition) would have been our first openly gay actor in the role. Interestingly he shares a monastery-based education with Tom Baker and, like Pertwee, was thrown out of drama school. But without wanting to sound harsh, the main problem with Everett being the Doctor is he isn’t Peter Capaldi, which—let’s be honest—is a basic requirement.

Then there’s this comment,

I tried to be Doctor Who but was turned down.mI would have loved to have been Doctor Who but it is filmed in Cardiff and I don’t think I would like to be in Cardiff.

I think it’s time I came clean. I also tried out for the role of the Doctor. Yes, it’s true. And so did my elderly next-door neighbour and so did her cat, Mr Bronson. We’ve been discussing Everett’s comments over tea and ‘dodgers and this attitude doesn’t impress. Each of us would give our right arm/ paw to live in Cardiff as the star of the best telly program ever.

So thanks for the interest, Rupes, but our show deserves more passion than that!

(Via ContactMusic)

Tags: , ,

15 Responses to Rupert Everett Claims He Auditioned for Doctor Who

1. avatar Howard Railton says:

That’s the great thing about Capaldi: he’s got the passion for it, and God knows he’ll need it when he sees the tosh moffat will dish up for him.

• avatar TimeChaser says:

Peter is obviously going to play it differently from Matt, so I imagine Moffat would tweak the writing to adjust for the new Doctor’s personality and strengths. There was a lot of comedy in Matt’s era, yes, but Matt wanted to do physical comedy, and more often than not he did it brilliantly, but the Moff also delivered him some amazingly dramatic moments as well.

I think there are a lot of us that are tired of some fans completely dismissing Moffat’s tenure (so far) when the truth is his era is no different to any other, with good stories, average, and bad.

• avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

I remember that a few disgruntled fans were continuously vocal about their displeasure throughout RTD’s tenure. Since Moff took over a lot of them have been singing RTD’s praises – wishing he was back in charge. As current show runner, Moff is only going through what RTD did. I am positive that he expects this and ignores it (rightly so). Also, he’s far too clever, busy and sane to lose any sleep over the thoughts of a VERY small minority of ‘fans’.

• avatar Bob James says:

And when Moffat departs they’ll be slagging off the next one, and probably going on about the good old days when Steven Moffat was showrunner.

• avatar Barry says:

I am enjoying Stephen Moffat’s tenure. True the same sort of things keep cropping up in slightly different forms but if you see those of part of his signature style you can forgive them. I’ve loved the timey wimey stuff and I normally hate timey wimey stuff. I just keep thinking irritated I was when everyone on here used to abuse RTD when he was programme runner. Now he seems to have been elevated to godhood. I think Moffats’ only problem is that he is the current showrunner. Im sure that in jue course he’ll be used as a yardstick to beat whoever gets the job next no matter how wonderful they may be. And yet I still visit the website. lol

• avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

‘in JUE course’? Totally agree with everything you say but, ‘JUE’? Why do I find that typo so funny? Christ, it’s obviously been an uneventful day for me so far!

2. avatar FrancoPabloDiablo says:

Hmm, I guess Moff being so terrible as show runner is the exact reason why Doctor Who has continually gone from strength to strength (and especially expanding it’s popularity in America) over the last few years! Get a grip! While you obviously don’t like or appreciate his leadership of our show, countless millions of us DO! Facts are facts my friend!

3. avatar DonnaM says:

I can’t remember a single era that didn’t get slated by some people for some reason or another – Moffat’s is no different. Personally I’d like to see the “quirkiness” reined back in favour of some old-fashioned, casual eccentricity in the Doctor’s character. However, on the subject of this article…

Thank God he didn’t get it, whenever he auditioned! He’s got neither the attitude (apparently) or the versatility (in what I’ve seen him play) to excite me as the Doctor

4. avatar Simon Magellan says:

He doesn’t say when – there were quite a few people seen back in 2009, by all accounts, so it may have been then. But then, if you read this he doesn’t really say he auditioned – “I tried to be Doctor Who but was turned down” could just mean his agent phoned up and was told the part wasn’t open for all we know.

But, as mentioned above, if he really wanted to be The Doctor as much as he suggests, then he wouldn’t have worried about where it was filmed – Ecclestone, Tennant, Smith and Capaldi apparently had no qualms about working in Cardiff…

5. avatar Geoff says:

Can we just try to have one topic that doesn’t descend into Moffat bashing excerise within one sentence of the first comment? Well done to everyone above for counterbalancing the first (and irrelevant to this topic) comment. If you just want to knock SM then by God there are plenty of so called fan sites where you can go and do it all day long. Anyway Rupert Everett as Who. I don’t see it myself. It just doesn’t seem very him as a part.

• Hear, hear Geoff.

Keep it on topic please everybody.

6. avatar vortexter says:

I think whoever plays the Doctor has to be the right sort of person to be the Doctor if that makes sense?. Everett doesn’t seem right for the part. I would have been very uneasy if he had gotten the role.

7. avatar Jon Roberts says:

I don’t know about anyone else, but it seems everyone actor is coming out of the woodwork either saying they auditioned for the role or was offered the role, sour grapes perhaps.

• avatar DonnaM says:

I can’t help but think some people see it as a quick way of getting themselves a headline. In a way it’s a good thing – means the show’s worthy of notice – but it is getting a bit tiresome.

8. avatar Philip Bates says:

Can anyone else smell bull excrement?

Aren’t they asked not to tell the public that they auditioned for the Doctor anyway? And the production teams agree not to leak names either? Imagine Moffat going, ‘well, Everett auditioned, but he wasn’t very good’ – !