Doctor Who capaldi

Published on August 4th, 2013 | by Christian Cawley

Peter Capaldi Introduces Himself…

The new Doctor Who is Peter Capaldi, a 55 year old who – interestingly – is the first over 50 to play the role since Jon Pertwee. The star of political satire The Thick of It will be taking the reins in the Christmas episode, and has recorded this short introduction for the BBC’s official website:

You might have thought him too told, but Capaldi it is – the Twelfth Doctor, the next incarnation of our favourite Time Lord.

Tags: , ,

36 Responses to Peter Capaldi Introduces Himself…

1. avatar CarmenAlexandra says:

I’m very excited it’s Peter Capaldi! He will be a brilliant Doctor! Too old my ass!

2. avatar sw says:

I think it’s an awesome choice, I’ve been looking forward to an older Doctor for years, let’s not forget the Doctor started off as everyone’s favorite Grandfather!! Can’t wait to see what his outfit will be like now :-D

3. avatar Tongmaster5 says:

He’s the same age as William Hartnell was in 1963

4. avatar SMBComix says:

I hope he keeps the current Tardis, it’s perfect for an older Doctor. :)

5. avatar Andrew G. Dick says:

Peter Capaldi is a brilliant choice, was excited at the rumours over the last 48 hours glad they were true. As soon as we saw the shot of his hand which looked older, I knew it was Peter. With him being the 3rd Clansman in the TARDIS, Gallifrey must have a Scotland!

6. avatar drvwho says:

hummmm thinking i hope he’s not going to be another “i don’t want to be type casted actors”

also i’m thinking sylvester mc coy i hope not becuase he’s my worst ever doctor

• avatar Lewis Seymour says:

Why are you “thinking Sylverster mcCoy”? Because he’s Scottish? So was Tennant. And I’d point out that McCoy never won an Oscar, unlike Capaldi – I do not think he’s at the point of his career, which has been long, varied and award strewn, that he’s worried about type casting.

7. avatar Mugen Pharoah says:

He will be excellent. Can’t wait to see where he takes the character.

8. avatar GallifreyanFallenAngel says:

I just have a feeling he’s going to be a lot like William Hartnell’s Doctor, older, darker, mysterious, yet loving. Is it just me, or does he look a lot like Jon Pertwee?

• avatar Chris says:

Which would be perfect for me as I think they needed to go in an opposite direction after Matt. We’ll see how his Doctor is in Series 8 but my biggest fear was/is that they would make the 12th Doctor just as eccentric and quirky as the 11th Doctor.

9. avatar STLShawn says:

Even in the interview after the reveal, he mentioned that he had not quite gotten the character together. Obviously, he has an idea of what he wants to accomplish with his portrayal, and I’m excited to see what its going to be like.

This is the first doctor that I am not sure how he’s going to play it. Dark? Dork? Darkly comedic? Completely for laughs? Assertive? Reactionary? With Gravitas? However he wants to do it, i have a feeling he will be able to pull it off quite well.

I believe we are looking at an almost complete reboot.

10. avatar lee moone says:

Thank God an older Dr! Perfect choice. Remember him as a co.puter experience in a female detective series in the ’90 and thought he’d be a good choice then. Let’s hope Moffat doesn’t for e him to kiss everyone. I think it’s time to move on from that. See you all again on this in another 3 series!

11. avatar Hyncharas says:

Though I didn’t expect a guest-character to assume the role, I am pleasantly surprised.

12. avatar Mark Lenton says:

Wow, Capaldi has been awesome in everything I have ever seen him in. Best Choice ever for the Doctor. He was the Star of Children of Earth, great fun in Neverwhere, can be really dark and weighty (where Matt has never quite convinced for me).

And I don’t think he’ll put up with substandard scripts that make no sense – so Moff had better be on his way soon :-).

Very very happy with this.

13. avatar Al says:

No complaints at all!

14. avatar iank says:

I love him already. ;)

15. What too old? He’s five years junior to me! Lol! I thought he might have been TOO well known and established for the part.

16. avatar greatdoctorwhocasting says:

Can’t wait! Absolutely perfect choice! Tempted to say the best cast Doctor since the post 2005 nu who. Christmas can’t come quick enough!

17. avatar Tommygun264 says:

Can’t wait to see Mr. Capaldi’s interpretation of the Doctor. He’s a… I would say “brilliant”, but I’ve noticed the word has been a bit overused in the UK… so I’ll say a WONDERFUL character actor, equally convincing as a clown or a sinister villain. I’m also glad to see the trend of casting a younger actor with each regeneration broken. After all, the Doctor is supposed to be a little over 1,100 years old now and I think it is only fitting that his face should show some signs of ager.

18. avatar johnnybear says:

Maybe Gallifrey looked like the highlands of Scotland in places with a single domed city right in the middle? My main gripe though is Moffat and it always will be! Why isn’t he leaving too and letting someone with the Letts/Hinchcliffe attitude to making the show have a looksee?

19. avatar Ranger says:

I’m really looking forward to seeing what he does with the role. I am hoping that they are going to take it in a more dignified and darker direction and lose all this silliness associated with Matt Smith – I’m not saying lose all the humour, just the silliness of the gurning and contortions and manicness.

20. avatar TonyS says:

Why the need to turn a thread about the casting of the next Doctor into yet another call for the Executive Producer to go?

• avatar iank says:

Fear that someone who could be one of the greatest Doctors EVER will be wasted in yet more witless crap, perhaps?

• avatar TonyS says:

I am not a fan of everything that has been produced since 2010. But ‘witless crap’ is a bit harsh.

• avatar Lewis Seymour says:

Quite – there have been low points but also some very high ones. Which is exactly the same as pretty much every era in DW.

• avatar TonyS says:

Are we allowed to criticise the Hinchcliffe or Letts eras? Won’t the universe implode or something?

21. avatar Ranger says:

Just seen that Craig Ferguson and Peter were in a punk group together called the Dreamboys, Peter on vocals, Craig on drums. So that should be an interesting interview!

22. avatar Lewis Seymour says:

I’ve been around long enough to see many new Doctor announcements – first one I remember clearly being Davison’s (I was bitterly disappointed as I wanted Nigel Hawthorne). Of all of them, this is the first one where I can say “Yes, I can see him as the Doctor” rather than wondering how he might do it.

• avatar TonyS says:

I remember the casting of Peter Davison. I was about to start university. While he was not someone I would have thought of for the role, I remember being quite excited by the casting. I just knew we were going to get someone different to Tom Baker. Before the death threats start, i like the Fourth Doctor. But the programme had got very stale and, revisionists aside, season 17 was embarrassing. Not all of it, obviously. ‘City of Death’ was near-perfect Dr Who. But it was time for a change.

• avatar iank says:

Uh, no. Season 17 was and remains one of the best ever. Things went badly downhill when JNT and Bidmead turned up and sucked all the fun out of the show.

• avatar TonyS says:

Nightmare of Eden and Horns of the Nimon?

23. avatar Lewis Seymour says:

Staggering figures from Twitter: yesterday DW was mentioned over 1,000,000 times, the official BBC tweet re Capaldi was retweeted 30,000 times and Moffat was no.1 trending worldwide! Not bad for a 50 year TV show!

24. avatar TimeChaser says:

He has a mischievous twinkle in his eye when he says “I’m the new Doctor.” I think we’re in for an interesting ride. :)

25. avatar J W says:

As another Doctor once said, “I am the Doctor, whether you like it or not.”

• avatar TonyS says:

Thankfully, the vast majority of people that I have seen commenting are liking ‘it’.

26. avatar Geoff says:

On the subject of age I’m going to steal a comment someone else made, either here or on the BBC site which was: the Doctor is older than me again, all is right in the world once more!
    I am delighted with Mr Capaldi as the choice for 12 and still can’t quite believe it really is him. Everytime a new Doctor is in the running there are a few “if only” names eg Donald Sutherland in the 80s. Well Mr Capaldi was definitely one of those names for me at least this time. That said who’d ever heard of Matt Smith (or even David Tennant) and look how brilliant they both were.
    I’m hoping that having the weight of a big actor behind the show will stop the BBC messing about with it quite so much as well. I know the flip side to that is he can make demands but I don’t think he’s going to want things that are to the detriment of the show. He knows what its about and he’s signed up fully aware of the schedule etc, and he’s a fan. Exciting times ahead.